Foreign Languages

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
J_N

Post by J_N »

ekzemplaro wrote:Grüss Gott Julia san,
はじめまして、マサさん。
I wonder if you voluntter to proof listen my recording.
I've recorded 'Trokko' by Akutagawa Ryunosuke. Please visit Multilingual Short Works Collection 002 - Poetry & Prose.
I will give it a try. Do you need/want special PL like word-by-word?

よろしくお願いします。

ユリア

(Just had a look at the text - it even has some furigana :9: )
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hallo Julia san,
Ich freue mich Sie kennenlernen.
J_N wrote: Do you need/want special PL like word-by-word?
Nein. 'Standard', bitte.

No. 'Standard', please.

Tschüss,
Masa
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Studied modern European languages in college -- French, German, and Spanish. I only kept up with the French because I lived in France for a few months in my late teens. Now that my kids are grown and gone, I'm trying to brush up on my Spanish. I just returned home to Seattle last year after year and half in Manila, and studied Tagalog there seriously. But I find that non-western languages are much harder for me, and that my memory is not in my 50's what it was in my 20's! Sometimes, when I KNOW I'm looking up the same word I've looked up a half-dozen times before, I'm tempted to throw the dictionary across the room in a temper tantrum! I never do, though.

You probably guessed I love languages. I love the way they are almost like a painting or a musical piece of the culture, revealing so much about the culture. They are for me a fascinating window into how the people who speak it think. Currently, I'm trying to learn Koine Greek, as I'm amazed at the differences between my French, Spanish, and Tagalog bibles, which makes me very curious to know what the original really says! If I were brave, I'd study Mandarin....
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ArleneJoyce wrote:Sometimes, when I KNOW I'm looking up the same word I've looked up a half-dozen times before, I'm tempted to throw the dictionary across the room in a temper tantrum! I never do, though.
i confess i have done this before - i had to study latin for 8 years in high school :lol:
Carolin
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't remind me of my short and completely failed fling with Latin :mrgreen: :roll: Just after high school I tried studying Polish at the local university and, as in the case of all the Polish faculties teaching European languages, the curriculum included a 1-year couse in Latin. My most vivid memory is that of re-taking a quiz testing the first 2 declinations. Basics. I think I made 3 attempts. At the 3rd one, the prof said "OK, but this is the last time :shock: " I failed to decline the given expression properly this time too, but the teacher wanted to just get rid of me so he gave me a passing grade :mrgreen:

Now I keep thinking (again) about doing something with my almost totally forgotten German. I learned the language at school for 8 years, although at some points it could hardly be called "learning" :roll: . It's a really useful language in Poland, and being able to speak it would probably be a useful skill, but frankly I have mixed feelings about it, especially when I recall the grammar :roll:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I had a pleasant surprise myself the other day about German: I can PL in German :shock:
You might want to start listening to books in German is what I'm trying to say :D I will definitely give it a try.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Petra

Post by Petra »

neckertb wrote:I had a pleasant surprise myself the other day about German: I can PL in German :shock:
You might want to start listening to books in German is what I'm trying to say :D I will definitely give it a try.
I decided to give your recording of Les Mystères de Paris a try, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I understand! (It helps that you speak so clearly, of course.) Now I'm nearing the end of the first volume so I'll be eagerly awaiting the second one when you finish it. :D
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

:oops: I'll try to hurry then :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Do you have a favourite method of language learning which works well for you? If so, which is it?

Can you recommend some good websites when one can learn (and perhaps also teach)?

If someone is into blogging I recommend www.lang-8.com They have a "freemium" format, but I only had a free account. Still, I liked it a lot and it was perfectly OK for my needs. If you're into blogging, you should give the site it a try :) The idea is to blog about whatever you want and receive corrections from native speakers. The response usually comes within hours of posting an entry. The possible exceptions to this rule include obscure languages with few registered native speakers and- surprisingly- English. I suppose the case with the latter is that there are loads of learners and not enough willing native speakers to go round. Of course the quality of corrections will vary- some people will only fix the most glaring mistakes, while others will not only suggest all sorts of corrections, but also go to great lengths to explain why this option and not that. Of course, being a native speaker does not necessarily imply writing one's mother tongue perfectly so erroneous corrections can happen too. I was extremely active there for over two years and wrote about 500 entries (mostly in Spanish and Italian), over 99% of which got corrected.

If you need to improve your spoken language comprehension, I recommend www.rhinospike.com The good thing about it is that you don't even have to register to use some of the site's functions. A registered user can get 2 things there: post a text in a chosen language and get it read by a native speaker, or post a link to a recording/video (works only with YouTube, unless they've changed something) and get a transcription of what is being said/sung/etc. Of course one can record or transcribe other people's files too (it was there that I first heard of Audacity :thumbs: ). Doing so will move one's recording up the queue, so the more you record/transcribe for others, the less time you will have to wait for your submission to be recorded. If you don't want to register, you can still browse all the files and transcriptions. One very good thing is that all the recorded files are downloadable and accompanied by a written version. The biggest disadvantage is that when I last checked there weren't many people willing to record and unless you were requesting help with a popular language you could wait for a long time (after all these months I still haven't got any help with my several sentences in Icelandic).
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Cori

Post by Cori »

Piotrek81 wrote:The possible exceptions to this rule include obscure languages with few registered native speakers and- surprisingly- English. I suppose the case with the latter is that there are loads of learners and not enough willing native speakers to go round.
I just signed up and corrected one chap's post, and even though it wasn't that long, it took aaaaaages. Plus there were some phrasings that it was really hard to make-nice in English. So I can see why people would rather write-to-learn than correct.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Wow, cool :thumbs: I can see I managed to get someone interested in this awesomely useful site. What's your username there?
And yes, you're right that sometimes it's very hard to turn sentences and phrases into nice and naturally-sounding ones.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Umm. I'm Cori :D and I'm not much of a one for thinking up cool usernames. On Twitter, I couldn't have Cori, so I took CoriS (my surname starts with S.)

It's easy to remember, anyway. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Piotrek81 wrote:Do you have a favourite method of language learning which works well for you? If so, which is it?

Can you recommend some good websites when one can learn (and perhaps also teach)?
From the internet sites I've tried so far for language learning, I like best Livemocha, LingQ and Duolingo. But I also like using textbooks.

I think what works best for me is hand-writing.
Writing sentences with new words I learn, helps me remember them. Sketching colourful tables and schemes with grammar rules helps me demystify them. I also find that pretending to teach the language I'm interested in, also helps (speaking to myself imagining I'm explaining the lesson to a class of children, writing on a white-board with markers, etc.)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've heard about Livemocha and LingQ. In fact, I've even set up an account on the latter, but don't use it.
Textbooks and generally language books are cool, but it would be great if I could figure out some plan how to use them systematically instead of just reading random bits every now and then :roll:

Handwriting is getting rarer and rarer these days, especially when you've already graduated :mrgreen: Usually I type everything. I used to use a similar method to the one you described when keeping my lang8 blog. It worked and I did learn many useful words, mostly in Italian.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Piotrek81 wrote:Wow, cool :thumbs: I can see I managed to get someone interested in this awesomely useful site. What's your username there?
And yes, you're right that sometimes it's very hard to turn sentences and phrases into nice and naturally-sounding ones.
Actually, you managed to get two of us interested. That was just the language tool I've been looking for. Thanks a bunch!!!