Books for the blind

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

hugh wrote:by the way, I had an interview with BBC's In Touch, "a weekly radio programme featuring news, views and information of interest to people who are blind or partially sighted." Should be on next week i think.
Very cool, hugh! We run InTouch network stuff down here on the WUSF Radio Reading Service. Your dulcet tones will be spread all over west central Florida on the 67kHz subcarrier of 89.7 FM!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Sethwoodworth

Post by Sethwoodworth »

How accessible is the librivox website to people with screen readers? Should we make a subdomain like speech.librivox.org that is easier for blind people?
sethish.com
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

Sethwoodworth wrote:How accessible is the librivox website to people with screen readers? Should we make a subdomain like speech.librivox.org that is easier for blind people?
I won't have time today, but tomorrow I should be able to run a program to check it for accessibility issues.
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

Cool kri,

I was going to run a software package we have at work.
kri

Post by kri »

Aldark wrote:Cool kri,

Excellent, definitely still a good thing to do.

Post by Guest »

I can tell you, that I have not had any problems with this page. It does not have any trouble displaying enlarged text, and the main areas of the site are easily accesible. The color scheme is good too. The background does not interfere with the text.

I also use text to speach whenever I can, that is, whenever the texts I am dealing with are in public domain, and there are no human alternatives readily accessible.

The quality of the latest in text to speach is bearable, but a big problem with TTS engines is that they don't make the text flow the way a human reader does. The voice can be good, but the flow of the text is always off.
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

kri wrote:
Aldark wrote:Cool kri,

Excellent, definitely still a good thing to do.
I didn't get a chance to look at your links until this morning - then find out the application you ran is also designed by the software I have - HiSoftware's AccVerify.

It appears that in the grand scheme of things alternate text needs to be added to images, but I didn't see any other flags. I didn't run all the pages, but based on the fact the .org site doesn't vary much from page to page that is probably the single issue.

It appears there could be a few issues w/ being validated for XHTML transitional as well.