Anybody watching Bleak House?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jefuchs

Post by jefuchs »

I joined the librivox forum just today to request Bleak House, which I'm muddling through with my homemade, computer voice audiobook.

But aside from that, I started watching the PBS version this past weekend (Masterpiece Theater). I can't say how faithful it is, except to say that no film can capture Dickens' writing. Unlike modern works, it wasn't written with film in mind.

I have read only a little Dickens, but there's no doubt his reputation is well earned. I read David Copperfield years ago, and just finished A Tale of Two Cities. I was thrilled to see that PBS had produced a film version of Bleak House.

Anybody watching? Opinions?

Jeff
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oooo I think it's in my Tivo! Thanks for reminding me -- I'll have to watch it soon!

We've got two Dickens books underway --- Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist. Oh, adn I think David Copperfield as a solo project! And A Christmas Carol is complete and listed on our catalog page.

Honestly, A Christmas Carol is the only Dickens I've ever read (*blush*) but I've just read two chapters of A Tale of Two Cities and found them very enjoyable -- even though they were in the middle of the book and I had no real idea what was going on. :)

Welcome to librivox!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Post by Guest »

Kayray

I found David Copperfield a joy for pure reading pleasure, and A Tale of Two Cities a disturbing description of 18th century values. I had just read two David McCullough books on the 18th century in America, and was bothered by the contrast. I see that Gutenberg has a book on the French Revolution, but I have so many other books to get through that I don't see myself getting to it any time soon.

One thing I noticed about Dickens' characters. Their character is set pretty much in stone. Unlike modern fiction, we're not tricked into thinking a person is good when they're really evil. Good people are consistently good, and evil ones remain evil.

I'm just now catching up to episode one of the PBS series. It seemed that the director injected a bit of modern morality into the original story. Still, they seem to be following the original pretty well.

Glad you've got it on TIVO. Let me know how you like it.