Librivox Global Gathering?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
winahath

Post by winahath »

I say let's find sponsors and have a worldwide conference and plan to hold it in the next 2 years or so... this way, we can save up for the airfare, bus fare, gas money or whatever mode of transportation to get there and make a vacation out of it. I've never been to Europe or you all can come over to the US, or we can meet in Canada or China, whereever.

we should be able to stir some interest out there and get some sponsors to pick up the tab for the conference--don't ya think so? Communications companies usually sponsor events that involve global markets.

here I go again with my big, improbable ideas... :idea:

i think I should have started a new thread...hmmmm.

Wina
[url]http://fieryblogmother.wordpress.com[/url]

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Perhaps a mod can move that to its own thread? I think it's an interesting idea, Wina, but as you noticed, it doesn't quite fit in the Bloopers thread. :)
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
winahath

Post by winahath »

I know... sorry for adding the wrong ingredient to the pot. can someone delete or move it, please? I just noticed that it's too late for me to do that. :oops:

wina

Cori

Post by Cori »

Done -- carry on ... and Wina, you can edit the title if you like, just by clicking the edit on your post ... I had a guess at something suitable.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
winahath

Post by winahath »

Cori,

You rock.

Thanks and again, sorry for upsetting the balance of nature.

Wina

Sibella

Post by Sibella »

It would be so much fun.

Finding a sponsor may be difficult.

Let's brainstorm. What kind of organizations would be interested in furthering free audio books (and can we get them to sponsor our websites?)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Argh -- no sponsoring! Unless they're happy to donate money with absolutely nothing in return, because we don't do advertising here. (Except reciprocal links to free and mutually beneficial projects like Wikipedia and Project Gutenberg.)

Individuals coordinating holiday plans is prolly more feasible ... or entrepeneuring with eBay and suchlike.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
winahath

Post by winahath »

I will research this and find a way. There must be some philanthropists out there with loads of money who can donate to a good cause with no strings attached. We are a good cause, aren't we? well, we are, right?

What can be a better cause than sharing our God given talents (or lack thereof in my case) to the technical evolution of the written word for public consumption? I sent the link to librivox to all my buddies in the Army who are out in Iraq fighting for freedom and they love it.

Airfares to Europe from the US can be attainable depending on the season. We just have to do it during off peak season.

How about universities and colleges? If we cannot find a sponsor, can we at least find a free venue? for say 5,875 librivox members!! (not that everyone will be there...just kidding!)

Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Oh, we could do it on campus here for free.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sibella wrote:Oh, we could do it on campus here for free.
Where is here? You don't need to be exact but is it north, south, east or west US??? and how close to Toronto?

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
winahath

Post by winahath »

she's right, where are you? I was ready to book my flight to go there!

Well, what if we did a trade show/conference? We get a free venue, we invite trades such as companies who sell audio/video equipment, communications equipment, travel agencies, book publishers etc. they pay for a booth to join our conference. We use the money to advertise our conference and to hire a bus to pick up attendees, whatever...

These companies will pay to have the opportunity to sell their wares.

Has anyone here coordinated a trade show? I've only attended them for my company and we paid to have a booth.

Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Close enough to Atlanta, Georgia - the busiest airport in the world...
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I have not, but I have helped coordinate professional conferences, fandom conventions, and SCA events for anywhere between 40 and 4000 people.
winahath

Post by winahath »

that's only 3 hours away from me! 8)
I've been in Atlanta.

Wina

kristin

Post by kristin »

Sibella wrote:Close enough to Atlanta, Georgia - the busiest airport in the world...
Well, I don't know how far that is from me but it can't be that far, definitely driving distance. Sorry, I've only been here a couple months haven't worked out where everything is yet.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]