The Place For All Your 'Nonsense' Questions To Be Answered By Your Fellow Librivoxers

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No. One thread is enough.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Availle wrote: July 4th, 2022, 11:30 pm No. One thread is enough.
Okay,no issues.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Mozartjr wrote: June 27th, 2022, 6:03 pm Here is my question:

This may be a fairly easy question to answer, but I don't know the answer, and I have wondered about it for a long time:

What exactly is sleep? I know that the brain in a way "shuts off" when you go to sleep, but, furthermore, how come closing your eyes is sort of the cue for the brain to go into sleep mode? It could be because then there is no input going in when your eyes are shut, but then how come I can still sleep when it is loud around me? Hopefully this question makes sense.

Mozartjr
We just watched a NOVA episode on sleep last night. It shows "video not available" for me, but maybe you can view it: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/mysteries-of-sleep/
There's also a link for the transcript, which might be really tedious to read. :)

Here's what I remember:

Our brains don't "turn off" when we sleep, apparently. For the deep sleep, they go into longer, higher brain waves, more synchronized. REM sleep (where most of the dreams occur) the brain waves look like they do when we're awake. We do a deep/REM sleep cycle every 90 minutes or so, with longer periods of deep sleep earlier in the night, more REM sleep later on towards morning.

The cues to sleep are one's circadian rhythm, aided by the sun (but not determined by it). The brain chemical melatonin aids in sleep, and there was another one that builds up during the day, kinda your "I've been busy long enough; I need to sleep" hourglass timer. :)

Short, uninterrupted sleep is better for your body than longer, more interrupted sleep. They did a study where they only allowed 5 hours' sleep to one group, while the other got more time to sleep but was awakened every hour, and the 5-hour sleep group functioned much better.

One thing deep sleep does is it takes the day's information from the hippocampus (the temporary, small file drawer) and files it into the cortex (the longer term, better organized file cabinet). One reason young children need daytime naps, possibly, is because their hippocampus isn't fully developed and "fills up" faster, so they need a nap to empty it and start afresh. Kids that take a nap after a learning session retain the information learned much better. Deep sleep also helps older adults retain memories.

Another study suggests that if first responders, etc., can delay sleep and give themselves time to relax and step away from a traumatic event before sleeping, the memory isn't stored away as readily, which can help with future PTSD. If they go to sleep soon after the traumatic event, it's stored much more readily and can thus haunt them more later on.

There was obviously a bunch more information in the hour episode. But there's some food for thought, anyway. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

TriciaG wrote: July 5th, 2022, 6:29 am
We just watched a NOVA episode on sleep last night. It shows "video not available" for me, but maybe you can view it: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/mysteries-of-sleep/
There's also a link for the transcript, which might be really tedious to read. :)

Here's what I remember:.........

Okay, that's pretty fascinating. I need to watch the whole video, but that is really cool! :P :P :P
Thanks for answering my question :D
Mozartjr
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Mozartjr wrote: July 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm
TriciaG wrote: July 5th, 2022, 6:29 am

Here's what I remember:.........

Okay, that's pretty fascinating. I need to watch the whole video, but that is really cool! :P :P :P
Thanks for answering my question :D
Mozartjr
Brother MojartJr,when you feel that you have had a satisfactory discussion on your topic of discussion,please inform others by writing 'Next Question Please.' in Bold letters so that they get to know that they can post their question.

Thank You.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Ah, okay:

Next Question Please
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Mozartjr wrote: July 8th, 2022, 7:26 am Ah, okay:

Next Question Please
Thank You Very Much.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

My Question Is:-
In Frederick Griffith's experiment with S-Strain and R-Strain Spreptococcus Pneumoniae Bacteria on the Rat,how did the Genetic Material transfer from the heat-killed S-Strain Bacteria to the R-Strain Bacteria?
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Next Question Please.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

My Topic Of Discussion Is:-
My YouTube is full of rubbish content(Especially the Short Videos) which is harming my life a lot.I would highly appreciate if someone would provide me a solution regarding this.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Assuming that you mean what is on Youtube, I totally agree. It's filled with trash. I just try to stay away from it...I think this happens to everyone :) The issues is that they have no guidelines on what is allowed...everything is allowed! :?
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Mozartjr wrote: July 13th, 2022, 7:01 am Assuming that you mean what is on Youtube, I totally agree. It's filled with trash. I just try to stay away from it...I think this happens to everyone :) The issues is that they have no guidelines on what is allowed...everything is allowed! :?
Mine is getting worse day by day.Maybe it is because I see those videos when they show up.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Next Question Please.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

So, which is correct: toMAYto or toMAHto (or does it just depend on which part of the English-speaking world you live in)?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Both. It depends on which part of the English-speaking world you live in. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart