New Words Learned from Librivox

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Just found a transitive verb I'd never heard before ... "thole" ... though I gather some from Up North might be familiar with it. I had a vague notion of its noun form ... an oar-pivot pin ... but not as a verb.

It's in a book by an Australian poetess that I'm reviewing for a future Australian Poetry Project ... I always read them cover-to-cover first before launch ... and I must admit, it stumped me.

Here is the definition: Verb ( transitive) 1. to put up with; bear. 2. an archaic word for suffer.

"Do you think that you could thole it, Australian born and free,
Where the call of many rivers finds an echo in the sea?
Do you think that you could bear to feel the chain that girds you round?
'Midst the chitter of the bell-birds in your happy hunting ground..."

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:23 pm Just found a transitive verb I'd never heard before ... "thole" ... though I gather some from Up North might be familiar with it. I had a vague notion of its noun form ... an oar-pivot pin ... but not as a verb.

It's in a book by an Australian poetess that I'm reviewing for a future Australian Poetry Project ... I always read them cover-to-cover first before launch ... and I must admit, it stumped me.

Here is the definition: Verb ( transitive) 1. to put up with; bear. 2. an archaic word for suffer.

Cheers,
Chris
The first noble truth: There is thole.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

As an emigrant from "up North" I immediately thought of that well-known phrase ," put wood in 'thole"..ie Shut the door"! 😃 Anne
realisticspeakers

I'm 59 years old. I've been with Librivox 10 years.
I majored in Linguistics for crying out loud, and this morning I just learned of the word prolixity.
Imagine my chagrin. :chagrin emoji:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/prolix
etymologically "poured out," from pro "forth" (see pro-) + base of liquere "to flow" (see liquid (adj.)).

Of persons, "long-winded, prone to indulge in lengthy discourse," 1520s.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
zachh

Post by zachh »

I just ran across the word aposiopesis in Sam In The Suburbs by P. G. Wodehouse. It seems like a word that may be useful to know someday, but it was a bit daunting to pronounce and took a few tries.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I have one. From reading The Outdoor Girls in a Motor Car by Laura Lee Hope.

tonneau

It's the open tray, or passenger seat [less common] part of a car or truck. There's also a tonneau cover that covers the tray to keep weather or wind off. I hadn't heard of this word. It's not used a lot these days. I asked people in my family. My folks had an open MG sports car in the 60's and they used a tonneau cover over the front passenger seat to keep wind turbulence off.

I chose to say it like a Parisian French person a bit like "toonoo". My lack of IPA knowledge shows. Slaps self.
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

lightcrystal wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:19 am I have one. From reading The Outdoor Girls in a Motor Car by Laura Lee Hope.

tonneau

It's the open tray, or passenger seat [less common] part of a car or truck. There's also a tonneau cover that covers the tray to keep weather or wind off. I hadn't heard of this word. It's not used a lot these days. I asked people in my family. My folks had an open MG sports car in the 60's and they used a tonneau cover over the front passenger seat to keep wind turbulence off.

I chose to say it like a Parisian French person a bit like "toonoo". My lack of IPA knowledge shows. Slaps self.
I've heard this (the cover, anyway) as being the cover on pickup truck beds. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
zachh

Post by zachh »

TriciaG wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:41 am

I've heard this (the cover, anyway) as being the cover on pickup truck beds. :)
That's what I hear it used for nowadays too. It seems to refer (if I am not mistaken) to the soft covers that are made of some kind of fake leather-like material and sort of fold up toward the cab when a larger object is to be carried in the bed. I'm not sure if it is also used for the hard flat covers that come up at the tailgate end, but I think not.
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Susquehanna.
It's a huge river with a name to match.
Ella
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I grew up near Susquehanna Township, so it was one I learned to pronounce (and spell!) very early on. Those Algonquin names in Pennsylvania can be challenging -- my cousins lived near Conshohocken and Manayunk. I also had no idea how unmusical they sound until a boyfriend, who grew up in California with all the flowing Spanish town names, would literally make a face when I said such names.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I had certainly heard the word "insensible" before, but had no idea how much it was used in descriptions in 19th and early 20th century fiction and non-fiction. Maybe it's that I'm more aware of it now, but I'd swear I hear it at least once in almost every book I listen to! I was most familiar with the connotation of unconsciousness, as in the hero is knocked insensible when discovered by the henchman, but authors back then LOVED to use it in the sense of someone being unaware of some fact or not perceiving some underlying vibe in the room.

I also always thought the absolute ban on adverbs, as famously cited by Stephen King, was overblown. I like a good adverb to enhance description, especially when describing ways that people look or say something. But I can see where it came from because DAY-UMMM fiction authors from the turn of the century love them some adverbs, and really pointless ones. Like, "'Hows the weather?' he asked, interrogatively." pointless. Maybe because I became aware of current writing "rules" during the age of adverb hatred that they leap out at me every time, but I can see what led to the next generations of writers deciding that no adverbs are preferable to drowning in them. Or "drowning flounderingly" I should say.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
realisticspeakers

ColleenMc wrote: December 12th, 2021, 11:48 am ...but authors back then LOVED to use it...
...and really pointless ones.
...what led to the next generations of writers...
One day there will be a new school of thought in some art, some discipline, some philosophy, some politic, that will not explosively create a polar of two extremely opposing paradigms.

He pondered ruminatively.
Disclaimer:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Haver. (pronounced "hay-ver")
No, it's not the Scottish "haver" that means "foolish talk" (nor the Scottish "to haver," meaning to talk foolishly).
It's the Scottish "haver" that means "oat" -- as in, a field of havers.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

"gyve/ gyves" same pronunciation but not a fast dance ...."handcuffs" ....why do authors use such archaic words? Up with it I cannot thole!😁 Anne F
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

"Gormandizing".
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43