Your book story

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:10 am Currently, my book dilemma is, do I buy the paperback edition that includes the original illustrations by Arthur Hughes or the annotated hardback edition with no illustrations for three times more? Decisions, decisions...
King Solomon to the rescue!

Both!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I thought King Solomon's decision was "cut it in half."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DOLZ wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:33 pm I don't remember how old I was (I'm just that old now :wink: ) but I remember a book fair at school. Parading around tables with books stacked and little time to make any kind of decision, I fixed on a particular paperback. Pleased with my selection I remember putting it in my bag then forgot about it until I got home and went digging in my bag for homework. Rediscovering my prize, I waved the book in the air and said to my mom, "Look, I got a book from school that I can keep". She took it out of my hand to examine it and without a word, took the book away and I never saw it again. I was heartbroken and very confused. My mother wouldn't' talk about it for years.

Finally, when I was older, she broke her silence. She told me that the book I brought home was about Chinese war propaganda. I didn't know what 'war' she was talking about, what the Chinese had to do with it, or what the word 'propaganda' meant. Being of the depression and World War II era, she had a lot of bias, another word that took me decades to understand. All I knew was I got a book I never got to read.

Of course, I forgave her for it and, well, gave her the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't until I was in college that learned what the 'I, Ching' was really about. Looking back, unbeknownst to me, I chose a book that was visually appealing but would have been so far over my head I most likely wouldn't have understood it or stuck with it. My mother was obviously wrong, and, most likely didn't know what it was about herself, she just let her bias define its contents.

I didn't not learn from the I, Ching. On the contrary, I learned a lot, it just didn't have anything to do with the object of the book. I learned a lot about the scars my mother carried from the era. I experienced censorship under my own roof, and I learned the degrees a parent will go to to protect her child from perceived danger.
What a touching story.

Strange, too, to learn that such a book would be at a school book fair.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:56 am I thought King Solomon's decision was "cut it in half."
What did he know?!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:58 am
mightyfelix wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:56 am I thought King Solomon's decision was "cut it in half."
What did he know?!
For that matter, what do I know?
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

KevinS wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:28 am
KevinS wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:58 am
What did he know?!
For that matter, what do I know?
:lol: Solomon wasn’t really being serious when he said to cut... it... in half. It was a clever trick to resolve the dispute.
Devorah, you have a dilemma. Personally I’d buy the annotated version (hardback is always more durable anyway) but it’s up to you and your budget. :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
schrm

Post by schrm »

i like the pictures...

my book stories are..
strangely unimpressive.

i had a rather arge library in my adolescent years, and reduced it several times.
some of the books i keep in my book showcase (less dust) have some stories..

one of them was written by a layman author on a certain app and website, which can be used for that.
i loved the story of the first book and bought the paperback, as soon as it git published.
then, without reading, i bouht the second book, too.
and i was shocked..
one of the best young adults books i have ever read.
and the only book i found on this app and sot of fell in love with it.

another book i took after several years at a visit in my former children's room/at the house of my former stepfather.
i found so many books i missed by heart...
i left them there for great parts.
but some books i took with me, one of them is mentioned in another thread as "pity, that it isn't pd".
it was not one of my books..though.
i think :?: , at least.

and the third story is strange, too:
i was in a bookstore were i found not a single book i liked.
no even one.
it was a rather modern new store, it had books in the stairs, and in boxes, and in shelves, and...
when i saw something orange-reddish on the ground level, standing under a bench, or something like that, there i found 3 books of a monthly series which i have never heard of. full of humorous short stories, poems, everything artsy and satiric and...
loved it.

so many books, so many stories...
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:14 pm
one of them was written by a layman author on a certain app and website, which can be used for that.
i loved the story of the first book and bought the paperback, as soon as it git published.
then, without reading, i bouht the second book, too.
and i was shocked..
one of the best young adults books i have ever read.
and the only book i found on this app and sot of fell in love with it.
I'm afraid I do not understand why you were shocked.
schrm

Post by schrm »

i answer per pm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I discovered that the edition with illustrations actually has only 14 of the original 33 images! :evil:

But I guess the plus side of that is that it makes my decision easier. :lol:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:02 pm i answer per pm
Thank you.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

KevinS wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:57 am
DOLZ wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:33 pm I don't remember how old I was (I'm just that old now :wink: ) but I remember a book fair at school. Parading around tables with books stacked and little time to make any kind of decision, I fixed on a particular paperback. Pleased with my selection I remember putting it in my bag then forgot about it until I got home and went digging in my bag for homework. Rediscovering my prize, I waved the book in the air and said to my mom, "Look, I got a book from school that I can keep". She took it out of my hand to examine it and without a word, took the book away and I never saw it again. I was heartbroken and very confused. My mother wouldn't' talk about it for years.

Finally, when I was older, she broke her silence. She told me that the book I brought home was about Chinese war propaganda. I didn't know what 'war' she was talking about, what the Chinese had to do with it, or what the word 'propaganda' meant. Being of the depression and World War II era, she had a lot of bias, another word that took me decades to understand. All I knew was I got a book I never got to read.

Of course, I forgave her for it and, well, gave her the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't until I was in college that learned what the 'I, Ching' was really about. Looking back, unbeknownst to me, I chose a book that was visually appealing but would have been so far over my head I most likely wouldn't have understood it or stuck with it. My mother was obviously wrong, and, most likely didn't know what it was about herself, she just let her bias define its contents.

I didn't not learn from the I, Ching. On the contrary, I learned a lot, it just didn't have anything to do with the object of the book. I learned a lot about the scars my mother carried from the era. I experienced censorship under my own roof, and I learned the degrees a parent will go to to protect her child from perceived danger.
What a touching story.

Strange, too, to learn that such a book would be at a school book fair.
Great observation. I never thought about that 🤔
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink: