[NOT LV] Android App to organize voices, would love feedback

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
petemit

Post by petemit »

Hello all!

So… I'm lookin' at you, audiobook reader aficionados. :) I could use some help and feedback to find out if the app I made helps you in your recording process.

I made this app called VoiceBox to help audiobook readers. That's right… specifically for you.

I had the idea because I listen to audiobooks pretty consistently, and I have been so impressed by how some professional readers are able to keep their voices consistent among the different characters, and I would often wonder what kind of organization system they'd have to set up to keep track of all of the characters and their voices. Not to mention the character's vocal nuances when they are upset vs. when they are happy, etc.

So, my app, basically, is for keeping track of your characters and their corresponding voices. I like to think it would be very useful. Even if you don't care to make different voices for your characters, it could be a convenient and visual way to catalog your characters by book.

However,

I would love love love to hear your feedback if this is ACTUALLY something helpful for you. I've not had the pleasure of recording a full-sized novel, before. It's on my gigundo todo list that I want to get to at some point. But, that's why I'd like to get feedback from those who have actual experience recording books.

What do you think? Is this something that can/will help you? Anything that you'd like to see in an app like this?

Regards,

petemit

p.s. If you like the app, it of course wouldn't hurt my feelings if you decided to leave a review in the play store. ;)
Last edited by petemit on February 1st, 2019, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

My latest app
VoiceBox : Organize your Voices for your Characters
SteveSeidel

Post by SteveSeidel »

Hello petemit,

The VoiceBox app looks promising. I have iOS 11 though - as far as I can see, it's only for Android, right? I'm wondering about the emotional voices (angry, sad, tired, etc.) - is there a way to change the emotional level? And if it's possible to upload some other variants.

Thanks,
Steve (social psychologist)
Librivox guides and tutorials by Prof. Steve Seidel on writemyessay.pro for audio recordings (course: Audio tools for studying).
petemit

Post by petemit »

Hi Steve! Thanks very much for your interest!

Unfortunately, I don't have a version for iOS. My app only is available for Android phones and tablets. Also, currently, my app allows you to record multiple voices per character, so you can record different moods or aspects of your character if you are wanting a higher immersion level for your listeners.

I hope to someday release to iOS--I think it will depend on if there are enough people are interested in such an app.

Regards,

petemit

My latest app
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

I'd give it a try, but my phone is running Android 4.4.2, and it says this app requires 5.0 or later.
The Story of a Movie is a "making-of" featurette for your ears.
petemit

Post by petemit »

Hey Peter! I will take a look at this and see if it's possible to lower the compatibility next time I get a chance to work on the app. I've got a lot going on this Winter... so we'll see. :)

My latest app
petemit

Post by petemit »

Hey PeterBlock, I updated the app to support version 4.4.2, so you should be able to access the app now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.mindbuilders.petemit.voicebox.free

Also, I added a little promo video to give a better sense of what the app is for and what it looks like when you have some content added:

https://youtu.be/029c7rspWNo

My latest app
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

I'm not a reader, but as a fellow developer, just wanted to say what a cool idea for an app! :)
Margaret