World Cup 2018

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Today it starts! I mean football (or soccer, as it is called in the US :) ) world championships, world's most popular sports event.

Which country do you support? Which team do you think will win?

I'm flying my flag towards Nordic countries, especially Iceland, but also Sweden and Denmark. But I don't think they will win, so I made a samll bet (10e) for Belgium. It had odds of 12.00, even when Belgium's Fifa ranking is #3, so I think it is good bet.

Fifa Ranking June 2018:
https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

My dad is from Germany and I've always watched and supported Germany. I think they are ranked close to the top so to cheer for them is maybe a bit lame. But since I am half German I suppose I have too. :lol:

Actually, my second favorite would be Argentina, simply cause of Messi and some of the other good players. I know that is cliche too.

Now that I am older I tend to follow tennis more then soccer so I don't know how much of it I will watch but...
I don't bet at all, we just excitedly yell about who will win all the time.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When Americans suddenly pretend to care about soccer! :clap:

I mean, it's true, though.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

mightyfelix wrote: June 14th, 2018, 10:11 pm When Americans suddenly pretend to care about soccer! :clap:

From what I've heard Americans went crazy with enthusiasm during past World Cups. I wonder how they will react to this one, seeing as the US team failed to qualify, for the first time since 1986.

As for me, I'll probably watch some of the games, but I don't think I'll be spending several hours a day in front of the TV. The last EURO it was the same.
Other than Poland, I'll be interested to see Iceland. Shame they were drawn into the "group of death" (with Argentina, Nigeria, Croatia).
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Cori

Post by Cori »

I drew Croatia in the office sweepstake, so I'm cheering them on officially. :D Purely for the mood in my part of the world, I hope England play well (which isn't the same as winning, of course.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: June 14th, 2018, 10:11 pm When Americans suddenly pretend to care about soccer! :clap:

Actually, I think the U.S. has a lot to bring to the game of soccer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySN_plfiNI :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

With the US not being in it, and having no one to root for, I'm going to cheer for all the ones that are the heavy underdogs, like Iceland.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Poland's starting game is oddly reminiscent of our performance in 2002 and 2006 :roll:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

lol, this is the best time of the year, who cares about Christmas :lol: Just kidding, Christmas is much better than the world cup, because at least at Christmas your team doesn't loose! :D
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

USA, Canada and Mexico are hosting World Cup at 2026, so maybe they are little interested in it.

Argentina lost today 3-0 to Croatia, Croatia is my new favorite! <3
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yes, but Nigeria yesterday! :9:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

I hope France does well
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Looks like Poland really is repeating the pattern from 2002 and 2006. If so, then it's time for a victory. YAY <sarcasm> :roll:

Croatia slays. I hope Iceland somehow makes it to the second round, but it's going to be super hard.
Germany stayed true to their reputation of scoring when other teams are already preparing to walk off the pitch :lol:
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Poland’s loss was sad. I do really like Lewandowski from watching him in the past, it was to bad they couldn’t put anything away.

Yes Germany pulled through. That was a tense game. Unbelievable last shot, you have to admit.

Suprisingly Panama seemed to take up England’s way of playing, they are usually so rough. Our comments on England are usually very scathing. They were again, but it was nice to see them playing with more curtesy than usual. We had a few compliments in us.

Croatias game was amazing. What is happening to Argentina? It was tragic
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Germany's out!
Ladies and gentlemen, history is made before our eyes...