The "Rare Book Room" (way too cool)!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Haven't figured out if there'd be copyright issues, but I would doubt it.

The "Rare Book Room" site has been constructed as an educational site intended to allow the visitor to examine and read some of the great books of the world.

Over the last ten years, a company called "Octavo" embarked on digitally photographing some of the world ’s great books from some of the greatest libraries. These books were photographed at very high resolution (in some cases at over 200 megabytes per page).

This site contains all of the books (about 400) that have been digitized to date. These range over a wide variety of topics and rarity. The books are presented so that the viewer can examine all the pages in medium to medium-high resolution.

In particular the site contains:

1. Some of the great books in science, including books by Galileo, Newton, Copernicus, Kepler, Einstein, Darwin and others.

2. Most of the Shakespeare Quartos from the British Library, the Bodleian Library, the University of Edinburgh Library, and the National Library of Scotland. It also contains the First Folio from the Folger Shakespeare Library.

3. The complet copies of Poor Richard ’s Almanac by Benjaman Franklin.

4. Very rare editions: Gutenberg ’s Bible of 1455 (from the Library of Congress), Harvey's book on the circulation of blood, Galileo ’s Siderius Nuncius, the first printing of the Bill of Rights, and the Magna Carta.

http://www.rarebookroom.org/

Enjoy,
TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Cori

Post by Cori »

FWIW, each page image is labelled as copyright to Octavo, and for research use only.

Pretty easy to use, once I'd allowed the site to use popups. And lovely scans!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Rats :evil:
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Cori

Post by Cori »

Might not hurt to fire off an enquiring email anyway, since the words of the texts themselves are in the Public Domain, and we wouldn't be reusing the scans per se. And of course we'd be promoting their site as we catalogued the books.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Thanks, Cori...you ROCK :D

Greetings,

I am involved in the LibriVox mission of recording public domain works
and making them freely available for download:
http://librivox.org/

I see that you have copyright notices on your editions, but would like
to know whether we can use them for recording. The Librivox community is
quite active, and may be the largest source of audiobooks available on
the internet. We always post our sources in our catalog, which could
bring oodles of traffic to your website.

Please let us know your thoughts on this.

Respectfully yours,
ML Cohen
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Surely they can't copyright the texts, though. Only the images, and we wouldn't reproduce those.

So, though it's polite to ask, they don't have a right to stop us. At least, that's my (non-expert) view.
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Should we add it to the Source Wiki?

not that I know how to do that :?
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm not sure how it works, I'd lean towards agreeing with you, David, and a legal opinion would be good.

I wouldn't add them to the wiki yet, TTM, because I'm all paranoid like that. :D
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

earthcalling wrote:Surely they can't copyright the texts, though. Only the images, and we wouldn't reproduce those.

So, though it's polite to ask, they don't have a right to stop us. At least, that's my (non-expert) view.
Yes, this is exactly right... Here's what Project Gutenberg has to say on this topic: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:No_Sweat_of_the_Brow_Copyright

Please add the resource to the wiki =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

I think I might've already mentioned my inadequacy in this department :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

thistlechick wrote:
Please add the resource to the wiki =)
Done!
Geremia

Post by Geremia »

The Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America's website allows searching for rare books; it's pretty neat.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Geremia wrote:
The Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America's website allows searching for rare books; it's pretty neat.
I couldn't see any option to read them though - did I miss something ?

Anne
Geremia

Post by Geremia »

annise wrote:
Geremia wrote:
I couldn't see any option to read them though - did I miss something ?

Anne
You can see select pages on some of them, I think. For example, the first result for searching for "Aquinas" brings this page, which has some thumbnails of select pages.