Uploader abbreviations

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Hello all,

Just a minor suggestion.

When uploading a file, the instructions state which of the drop-down menu user (MC) names to use.
But the title of the book's forum entry ends with a different abbreviation.
For example: "Legends of Old Honolulu, by William Drake Westervelt - lt"
The uploader offers: "lynnet - Lynnet"

Given that the title is very prominent, and the uploader instructions are buried, I generally assume I can
map the abbreviation given on the title line to the appropriate MC to use for the upload.

It might help those like me who are too lazy to read the uploader instructions every time if the
currently useless second field of the pop-up menu in the uploader contained the same abbreviation as used
in the title line. i.e., in this example, it would read: "lynnet - lt".

Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I used to have a folder name - mine was arb, but the software update changed them to our forum name as the programming was easier (or something). But the catch was that adding them to the title line made the line too long so we all started to use abbreviations - and they usually are consistent, but don't have to be. So they are not recorded anywhere, just handy so can't be used as identification.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, I remember the consternation when the new system was being developed, when we learned we couldn't have it "lt - Lynnet" but that it would show up redundantly, as it is now.

I don't know the programming reason for it, but there was one.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

annise wrote: April 29th, 2022, 5:30 am I used to have a folder name - mine was arb, but the software update changed them to our forum name as the programming was easier (or something). But the catch was that adding them to the title line made the line too long so we all started to use abbreviations - and they usually are consistent, but don't have to be. So they are not recorded anywhere, just handy so can't be used as identification.

Anne
at least they usually start with the same letter, so (so far) it's pretty easy to decode who's who from abbreviation to name. jo is the only one that catches me out every time :)
Krista
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The purpose of the initials, or in my case my name, at the end of the thread title is simply to show that the project has an MC. It was never intended to show what uploader folder to use.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

to add to Jo's reply, the MC to use is always mentioned in the very first post, quite near the end of it, right under the uploader link, usually in blue so one cannot miss it ;)

Random example from "Astrophel and Stella"-project:
Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet
The initials in the title are only handy so the MCs know what project is already taken care of in the Launch Pad.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.