Can we avoid Juvenalia?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Can we avoid using the term juvenalia as a genre? This is derogatory. It is used by English literature departments to dismiss anything that doesn't fit "proper" fiction. Gamebooks, kids' books, pulp fiction, TV tie ins, are all dismissed by the English literature cognoscenti as juvenalia.

Just a hate of mine.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We don't have it as a genre.

We've got Children's Fiction / Nonfiction for works written for children.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

THat is good; just thought that I saw it somewhere. Thank you.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You might have seen it on one of the sites that use our recordings - we have no control over any of them, and they have no control over us.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lightcrystal wrote: November 5th, 2021, 9:59 am Can we avoid using the term juvenalia as a genre? This is derogatory. It is used by English literature departments to dismiss anything that doesn't fit "proper" fiction. Gamebooks, kids' books, pulp fiction, TV tie ins, are all dismissed by the English literature cognoscenti as juvenalia.

Just a hate of mine.
I understand your position, but the term is sometimes/often used simply for literature designed for the young (with no judgment made.)

Myself, I use the term to identify an author's earliest work which was not published (or published at the local level as in a high school publication.) My juvenalia should be burned. It's awful stuff. Maybe this is the year I throw it into the fireplace.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe it was in reference to Lesley Castle ? Which was part of Jane Austen's teenage writings which were bundled together (by her or by her nephew ?) Under the title Juvenalia. So it was a title, not a judgement.

Anne