Donation taken from Librivox and sold on Apple Books!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

Hi Everybody,

Just put my name into Apple Books and SlingShot Books LLC forgot to omit my name from the summary I used on a Librivox recording.

https://librivox.org/the-path-to-prosperity-by-james-allen/

Then I listened to a number of other James Allen's books from the same 'provider' and they are donations from our community.
I don't mind people using the audio we donate over YouTube, but to directly monetise on the sale of them through Apple Books is wrong. At the very least they shouldn't make up a fake 'Narrator's name'...

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Old news. :)

All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain, which means anyone can do anything with them. Please see this wiki page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain

Here is a 2018 thread which discusses reselling works, along with a response from the LV founder, Hugh: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70888
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

Ok, all good then. :lol: :lol:

The more people who read his books the better, even if they pay for it.

It's a bit cheeky though and lazy. You'd think they'd make the effort to remove my name from the book summary. hahahahah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You could try and leave a review if it's possible without a purchase. Or go through the complaints department if there is such a thing? While what those people are doing is perfectly legal, some of these platforms take a stern view on such shenenigans...

If it does help, when I search for your name, your LibriVox page shows up on the first page of the results. So just by googling, some people may find "your" recording and LV after all.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

I don't really mind. But told a friend and she's on a mission.

Thanks everyone. :)