Banned sound effects

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm curious; when and why were sound effects and background sound banned in LibriVox recordings? I know that background sound was acceptable in 2006, as I was interviewed on-site ("spotlight on ...") and Starlite asked whether I had ever used it.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It seems it was an issue even in 2006. viewtopic.php?p=30823#p30823
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

But it's clear from that thread that it was primarily a matter of avoiding copyright problems with the sound effect. Beyond that, it seems just a matter of whether the listener preferred the recording with or without the effect. Opinion, not a rule chiselled into the stones underpinning the structure.

Peter
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:52 am But it's clear from that thread that it was primarily a matter of avoiding copyright problems with the sound effect. Beyond that, it seems just a matter of whether the listener preferred the recording with or without the effect. Opinion, not a rule chiselled into the stones underpinning the structure.

Peter
Perhaps. The idea (raised here?) to post a non-LV alternative on archive.org sounds like a good one.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

In my opinion, too much commercial stuff including radio and TV, is overwhelmed with sound effects and also background music. (Often Muzak and other electronic noises).
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Peter Why wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:52 am But it's clear from that thread that it was primarily a matter of avoiding copyright problems with the sound effect. Beyond that, it seems just a matter of whether the listener preferred the recording with or without the effect. Opinion, not a rule chiselled into the stones underpinning the structure.

Peter
The current wiki page on Music and Sound Effect Rules goes back to 2009. So it has been at least since then, possibly even before that.
Jo
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Part of my difficulty with this comes from my feeling that the decision was made without general discussion. Someone .. or ones ... changed a fluid situation into a rigid one without asking the certainly hundreds (and possibly thousands) of active members of the forum who would be effected.

Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looking back in the archives, it appears the decision was made by the admins at the time, precipitated by a soloist adding a 13-second musical piece to the beginning and end of each file. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sound effects in books were also kiboshed around that time.

Yes, it was decided without public consultation. But no, it was not done without any consultation. And it didn't cause a tsunami; at most, it caused a ripple.

Policies do not need to be decided by pure democratic vote. And one can still submit a sound-effected book to Archive.

[Moved from Need Help? Got Advice? to Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion]
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I see; I can understand why the decision was made. But it does seem like an over-reaction to me.

Thanks for your investigation, Tricia.

Peter
schrm

Post by schrm »

may i add a sort of modern classical anecdote?
https://thenextweb.com/news/a-copyright-claim-on-chirping-birds-highlights-the-flaws-of-youtubes-automated-system
birds singing trigger copyright claims
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275