Three New Genres (2 in Children's Nonfiction)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There are two new Children's Nonfiction sub-genres: Biography and History. If you're launching a project that is nonfiction, geared towards children/youth, and that is telling someone's real life story or some history, use these genres, please. :)

We have also added an Asian Antiquity genre for really old Asian literature. Right now it's a sub-genre under "Classics (Greek and Latin)" but that might change. (Since we cannot rearrange the order of the genre lists, this is the best place we could think of it for now.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Asian is a pretty amorphous term. I'm very happy to see the issue addressed, though.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Is there a list of genres somewhere?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If you go to the search page, you can browse by genre, and there is a list to choose from: https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=0&search_category=genre&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks; it's interesting to see how we've divided our subjects.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: February 28th, 2021, 7:37 am Asian is a pretty amorphous term. I'm very happy to see the issue addressed, though.
Yes, I know. But what is a succinct term that we can use for Indian/Chinese/Japanese or other East Asian ancient lit? :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: February 28th, 2021, 4:21 pm
KevinS wrote: February 28th, 2021, 7:37 am Asian is a pretty amorphous term. I'm very happy to see the issue addressed, though.
Yes, I know. But what is a succinct term that we can use for Indian/Chinese/Japanese or other East Asian ancient lit? :hmm:
Yes, I know, though I wonder about the Semitic languages, such as Hebrew and Arabic. I just don't think of them as especially Asian. Of course, defining Asian and all its arguments speaks to this.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

True, Near East and Far East (or Asian) is usually the dividing line but those are old designations and pretty Eurocentric (East from where?). I always found it weird when I was in law enforcement and entering someone's physical description info in a report that someone from Israel or the Middle East was classified as Asian. More Eurocentrism--"ancient literature" in the generic sense usually means ancient Greek/Roman/Middle Eastern civilizations and people don't think of Asian let alone the literature and oral traditions of the various indigenous people worldwide. One of those colonialist categorizations that you don't really question when you are growing up and learning categories of this and that (especially if you are a library-haunting nerd like me) that you have to consciously learn to ask, wait, why is this? at some point. I'm embarrassed how late in life such insights have come to me (and are still coming...)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai