COMPLETE - MARCH to the FINISH LINE - 2021 Cleanup Month

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:15 pm At what hour US Central Time, does LibriVox declare that it is April 1st? I think we might be getting close.
I don't know. It MIGHT be GMT (which is 7:00 CDT, I think).
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

The date and time on Board Index for anyone not logged in is currently just after midday Wednesday (US Pacific coast time?)
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, maybe. That's where Archive's servers (where we are hosted) are located. It would make sense.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I don't know why I'm asking. I often forget what day of the week it is.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks, Todd
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Servers are in California, so they are on PDT time. It is currently 1:19 PM there.
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Except, come to think of it, I have seen projects cataloged here "early". I think it has a lot to do with the individual MC's computer time. And our stats go by what date is put in the database rather than a time stamp from a server somewhere. :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

You look only at what was catalogued but for me the surprise this month was 3 processes: 2 older project now fully claimed and way on their way, and a new project I could not emagin taking of the ground and well we are close to complete. We had some amazing processes this month. Some which were discovered or begun or people suddenly saw these projects because the readers wanted forum went down to one page.
so when I think about successes this month, I managed to help 7 of my projects get into the catalogue and these 3 lovely processes. I want each one of you to think about these lovely processes and what you learned from them. They are very important.
In addition, I saw some wonderful teams. How everybody contributed. I saw how motivated people were when they heard this was a huge librivox goal and how they wanted to take a part. But I will write more about learning processes later.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that's one reason why we try to discourage a lot of similar projects being up at the same time. Dilution of the reader pool is a real phenomenon. The readers get spread over a lot of similar projects, so that none of them make as much progress as they could. And like you say, having a lot of projects in Readers Wanted can end up hiding some of them. You can't see the forest for the trees. :)

That's not to say that we should have only a few projects in Readers Wanted. After all, different readers have different tastes in books, and we should offer projects for all sorts of tastes. But I think it's a good demonstration of why a lot of projects that are really similar, all running at the same time, may not be a good idea.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

186! Maybe only 6 hours left (depending on where Archive.org sets its database clock...).

Thanks, Todd
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The time stamps for the uploads to the IA pages appear to be UTC, but as Tricia has noted the count in the database is tied to when the project is marked complete on our end, not the time the files are uploaded to IA. I've been under the impression that our software is operating on California time, since that is where the server is located, but I can't say that for certain. If it is UTC, that is currently 11:18 PM.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

"HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME" --- T. S. Eliot
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Patience. Patience. Deep breath in. Slowly breathe out. Deep breath in. Slowly breathe out....

We'll all know in the morning. Sort of. We won't really know for sure the month of March has ended for the LV database until we see something posted at Archive with an April date. Unfortunately, we don't appear to currently have anything more in the Archive processing queue to give us that clue. We have, in other words, too few new queue clues due to view....

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

But if there is nothing deriving (in the process of cataloging), chances are that we're done for the month.

I suppose someone could sneak in a short solo or something, but as the hours pass, that gets less and less likely. :)
We have, in other words, too few new queue clues due to view....
I see what you did there. :P
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Poems by Roderick Quinn is fully recorded and PL OKed.
It just needs someone to catalogue it. Sonia is MC but she will be asleep at this time.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose