LIBRIVOX NARRATOR WORKSHOP 2! [ZOOM, FEB 28]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

LIBRIVOX NARRATOR WORKSHOP 2
"The Best Advice I Got From Pros"
A collection of advice and tips gleaned from years of audiobook narration workshops I've attended.

Time: Feb 28, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81816286963?pwd=QWdBSDFpMnZ4OW1ZdngrTUdBQkJiZz09

Meeting ID: 818 1628 6963
Passcode: 540974
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,81816286963#,,,,*540974# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,81816286963#,,,,*540974# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 818 1628 6963
Passcode: 540974
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kedsEpYk5g

Session will be recorded for later viewing.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

sjmarky wrote: February 17th, 2021, 2:39 pm LIBRIVOX NARRATOR WORKSHOP 2
"The Best Advice I Got From Pros"
A collection of advice and tips gleaned from years of audiobook narration workshops I've attended.

Time: Feb 28, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Very cool! Last one was awesome. Thank you!

1pm Eastern, I believe.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Ares

Post by Ares »

Very nice, i was really looking for something like this :) :) :) :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

I hope this can have an archive video link posted after the event for those of us who would love to be there but can't join at that hour!
Thanks for organizing these training workshops!
BeckyWTX
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

This one will be recorded and the video posted for posterity and beyond.

My website
My Librivox reader page
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Great information! 👍 Thank you! :) :clap:
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

sjmarky wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:33 pm This one will be recorded and the video posted for posterity and beyond.
Well Done! Thank you for doing that.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
slgill

Post by slgill »

Thanks for the tips! It was my 1st time to join in on one of the Zoom mtgs. My monitor doesn’t have a camera, so I hope you didn’t mind me joining without being visible.

:) Sue
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

The video is now up on YouTube: https://youtu.be/T8qb_Q1jz9Q

I replaced the slides so it's easier to read.

My website
My Librivox reader page
beeber

Post by beeber »

Many thanks for posting this fine workshop. I'd recommend it as worthwhile viewing for anyone who cares about doing a good job of narrating. It would be nice if there was some way to post this in a way that would keep it readily accessible for newcomers (and old-timers as well, of course). Maybe at the top of the "New Here?" forum or the "What is LibriVox? forum"? It would be a shame for this master class to get buried at the bottom of old posts.
Bruce
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

sjmarky wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:37 am The video is now up on YouTube: https://youtu.be/T8qb_Q1jz9Q

I replaced the slides so it's easier to read.
Good, useful information on this video. I’m so glad the importance of pacing was mentioned. This is one of the things that makes listening to a book enjoyable. I appreciate that you (Mark) are aware of your listening audience, as well as your fellow LibriVoxers wanting to learn more.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Your suggestions continue to influence my reading, especially doing several takes at various distances from the mic. Thanks Mark for adding polish to my work!
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

Thanks for hosting this. I’d really like to see a nightly session for unstructured peer-to-peer mentoring and maybe one weekly session hosted by a professional voice actor for more focused coaching.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

JordanN wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:23 am Thanks for hosting this. I’d really like to see a nightly session for unstructured peer-to-peer mentoring and maybe one weekly session hosted by a professional voice actor for more focused coaching.
Hi Jordan

While that sounds nice, to be perfectly honest it really isn’t feasible. I’ve done this twice - the only two in the history of Librivox - and the attendance was sparse. No one would be attending nightly sessions, or even weekly. There are only a handful of LVers who have recorded professionally, and may not be comfortable coaching or be willing to donate more time. As for peer-to-peer mentoring, there are a very few volunteers who aspire to do professional recording who may be interested in that, but they are rare. The overwhelming majority of LVers are hobbyists, which is fine; that is what LV is for. I’ll do a clean version and post it for posterity, but that’s as far as it will go. But thanks for your input.

My website
My Librivox reader page
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2021, 7:35 pm
JordanN wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:23 am Thanks for hosting this. I’d really like to see a nightly session for unstructured peer-to-peer mentoring and maybe one weekly session hosted by a professional voice actor for more focused coaching.
Hi Jordan

While that sounds nice, to be perfectly honest it really isn’t feasible. I’ve done this twice - the only two in the history of Librivox - and the attendance was sparse. No one would be attending nightly sessions, or even weekly. There are only a handful of LVers who have recorded professionally, and may not be comfortable coaching or be willing to donate more time. As for peer-to-peer mentoring, there are a very few volunteers who aspire to do professional recording who may be interested in that, but they are rare. The overwhelming majority of LVers are hobbyists, which is fine; that is what LV is for. I’ll do a clean version and post it for posterity, but that’s as far as it will go. But thanks for your input.
Thank you again, Mark, for your workshop. Historically, a nightly or weekly meeting might not have happened because of disinterest, but the situation might change, or might have changed. Sparse attendance at the time of Zoom sessions might simply reflect the variance of people's free time and time zones. I imagine that more people tune in to the recordings on YouTube.

I find LibriVoxers very willing to share, and we have several who have more than a decade of expertise, so I would attend weekly meetings at least every other week, if my schedule allows. How exciting to think of recruiting professional voice actors to give us an hour of their time gratis! I might know someone who knows someone...
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing