Suggestion/Question: Public Domain Singer's Anthologies

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Hi, has anyone tried putting together a project for public domain solo voice or choral music? I noticed there were some holiday carols and hymn collections, but has anyone tackled something for the classically trained singer?

I studied voice in college and it was difficult to find recordings of certain works, even if they were in public domain. If you did find them, you usually had to pay for them or watch a shaky version of it on YouTube.

I think it might a project worth looking into.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

One would have to find decent singers for it - or at least, people who are confident enough to do the singing. Our performances would probably be no better than YouTube's. :lol:

There's a reason many of our Gilbert & Sullivan plays don't have singing...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JackKali wrote: February 13th, 2021, 10:18 pm Hi, has anyone tried putting together a project for public domain solo voice or choral music? I noticed there were some holiday carols and hymn collections, but has anyone tackled something for the classically trained singer?
Not to my knowledge, although of course, there are loads of projects that I know nothing about. I will say that there are at least a handful of solo song collections, and one in production right now. (It's almost finished, I believe.) But choral music is much more difficult. Each singer would need to make sure they're following along at the same pace, so you need to first give each of them a recording to follow along with. Even when they do that perfectly, it takes a skilled editor to then stack and merge all the voices so that they blend and balance. It's quite demanding, which is why it isn't done often.