New Project Templates Now Live!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Since Christmas we have been working to make the New Project Templates a cleaner, more streamlined text. And in the process, we've squished some bugs and made some enhancements to the launch form.

These changes are now live!

Aside from the new look of the first post text, you'll also experience:

- If the project is a compilation, you no longer need to enter anything in the text field (since it's a bunch of different texts).

- The number of sections is now required (and must be a number).

- When the code is generated (after you submit the form), there's a "copy to clipboard" button. You no longer have to select all the code and copy it; you can just click the button.

- At the same time, that window on the generated code page fits your browser window, so there's no double-scrollbar, which was confusing.

- Added Portuguese as a template language.

- Various other tweaks, such as stripping accents, punctuation, etc. out of the suggested file name; the "Notice to readers outside the USA" author warning on texts will show when valid; line breaks allowed in the summary/intro field in the launch form; etc.

Many other changes COULD be done, and we'll be working on some of them. In the meantime, enjoy the new templates!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

One note: we did think about making a template type for collections (short story, poetry, nonfiction, etc.), but there is such variation in them that it would be very complicated to integrate them and very limiting to the BC for us to standardize them. So if you are BC of a collection, you may either continue with your current saved template or convert it to the new ones. The general information is all the same; it's just not as bolded and colored and wordy - and those annoying LISTS are gone. :lol:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Holy Macaroni, Batman! You have been very busy bees and I appreciate your time and efforts very much. Thank you , thank you all. Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

TriciaG wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:45 pm - Added Portuguese as a template language.
*insert here a crying-for-joy emoji*
Leni
=================
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I just created a solo project that hasn't been scooped up yet. Should I delete that and run it though the new template?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's your choice. It doesn't harm to do it or not. :)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

TriciaG wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:12 pm That's your choice. It doesn't harm to do it or not. :)
meh. I don't want to. LOL!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I just noticed that the new template links to https://librivox.org/uploader where the old one linked to https://librivox.org/login/uploader which means that a person who is not logged in will get sent straight to https://librivox.org/auth/error_no_permission which might be threatening to someone who has never done this before.
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ooo. Thank you for noticing that!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

InTheDesert wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:27 am I just noticed that the new template links to https://librivox.org/uploader where the old one linked to https://librivox.org/login/uploader which means that a person who is not logged in will get sent straight to https://librivox.org/auth/error_no_permission which might be threatening to someone who has never done this before.
This is now fixed for newly created projects. :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

"Number of sections (including preface or introduction)" is a very helpful clarification.
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

One thing that's still very confusing to new soloists is the instruction that appears in capitals at the top of the draft New Project Template, after going through the Template Generator: "COPY FROM HERE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE".

What does "the page" mean in this context? Obviously not the page you are looking at, nor indeed the Forum page you have probably just come from - Want to start a solo recording? (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513)

The instructions would be clearer if they said:
1. Click on the button to copy the text to your clipboard
2. Go to the New Projects Launch Pad on the Forum (viewforum.php?f=28)
3. Click on the New Topic button
4. Paste the text into the window that appears, and click Submit
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Part of the problem is that in some browsers, especially older ones, the "copy to clipboard" button doesn't work. So to cater to the lowest denominator, we've left the "copy to the bottom of the page" wording.

I suppose it may make sense to say instead, "copy all the information in the following frame" or something like that, but so far we haven't had anyone copy/paste the wrong information, so it must be working. :lol:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

It reads as if you are supposed to copy and then paste to somewhere at the bottom of the page you are looking at. It appears to mean "copy all the text on this page, then post your copied text to another thread in the forum entirely". If there really is somewhere on that page where you are supposed to paste the copied text I can't see it. I don't know how often people misunderstand the "copy to bottom of page" wording, but I was confused initially and I've helped at least one other new soloist on the forum who was stuck at that point.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ohhh! I see what you're saying! The "from" and "to" have a different meaning in each of our minds.

What it is trying to say is, copy the text that displays on this page (from this line of instruction on top to the bottom - all of it), period. It says nothing about pasting it. (The instructions for pasting it are in the "want to start a solo" thread, or in various other locations.)

There used to be no frame or window where the information was spit out, so you literally dragged your mouse from that point all the way down the page, and copied all the text.

I'll pass your input on to the people who have the ability to make changes. :)