reading FROM old books instead of e-books

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

I have a number of beautiful old books in my collection, and I'm wondering about reading from them for the Librivox collection, instead of filing for the ebook.

Policies, rules, suggestions, procedures... I'm not sure which department of the forum handles this type of question. I can't imagine I'm the first person to ask, but searching for the previous threads of conversation is proving pointless... my search terms are all excessively used... "books" "old" "paperback", you get my point.

I could see there might be some delay in reading while pages are turned, as a possible downfall. But otherwise, it could be a real advantage in being closer to the source material, physically, emotionally, and conceptually.

If I file a suggestion to have this book read, and then read it from my own book, is that a problem, or genius?
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you read from a hard copy, the minimum requirement is that you send an image of the page showing the date it was published.
There are disadvantages. The PLer is unable to check your reading and a surprising number of listeners like to listen and read along at the same time.
So I'd suggest you discuss each particular case with your MC when you launch the project.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've had some old hard copies I've read from because they weren't available online. A few of them I was eager enough to make widely available that I scanned or took digital photos of all the pages and combined them into a file to upload to Archive! (I wore out the bulb on our scanner on that first one; I don't recommend using a household scanner.) :lol:

The one book I read from a hard copy, I did have to pause when turning the pages. The other challenge I encountered was placing it so that I could read it easily, but also so that my mic placement was OK and my arms didn't get tired. Reading off a screen works better for me in that my mic placement stays constant and my arms don't fall asleep. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
CassiopeiaSparks

Excellent, thank you for the replies!
So, I would begin by opening a new topic in Book Suggestions, receiving an MC to be assigned to the project, and discussing from there; am I right?
I have noticed in the threads to volunteer as reader and claim a section of a project, they do specify "ONLY read from this linked source". Obviously if I'm reading from my own hard copy, it would best be a solo project. Though I may very well be reaching out later to you, TriciaG, to consult on how to upload to Archive like that!
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
so mote it be
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well I nearly said that I wouldn't want to use any of my treasured old books as I do try to look after them carefully :D
And yes - it would have to be a solo. And MCs only pick up things in the launch pad :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

However
I would suggest strongly you read a few things from the open group projects first to get some experience.

Anne
CassiopeiaSparks

annise wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:21 pm However
I would suggest strongly you read a few things from the open group projects first to get some experience.

Anne
Oh certainly. I'm not presumptuous enough to jump in to quite that level without some more experience under my belt. I want to do my books justice, if/when I share them. :)
so mote it be
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Once you're ready to start a solo, go to the New Projects Launch Pad and read the thread, "Want to Start a Solo Recording?"

You don't need to post in Book Suggestions if you know what you're going to read. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine