What is your studio like?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
adrianstephens
Posts: 1434
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » November 7th, 2020, 7:13 am

I'm interested in how librivox volunteers organise their recording "studios".
I'd invite folks to post a description of what works for them in this thread.

To start the ball rolling: I made a short YouTube video of my shed/recording-studio.
https://youtu.be/X_qhGCHQEx0

Enjoy.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 7th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I'm embarrassed by how many rules I seem to be breaking in having my 'studio' in my library. I sit at the desk I set aside for the computer and microphone (a Thronmax contraption) and just record. The room is lined with books, but I never thought of them as being soft as curtains or foam might be. But I don't think I get echo. There is carpet, which perhaps helps. But the room is something like 30 by 24 feet. (I don't really know why my parents added it to the house's original design.) I face a picture window which I have blocked with a blind---I was getting distracted watching as people walked their dogs---and I've given up any hope of sound-proofing the room from the noises of lawn mowers and everything else that growls and whines. (Most recently, the neighbors use blowers and vacuums to gather their fallen leaves. They are good people, despite this.)

I'm thinking of getting a boom for the mic, as I like the idea of being able to talk softly. My voice doesn't hold out very long these days and having the mic up close might help. On the other hand, I can't imagine having something 'leering' at me.

That's it. Nothing fancy.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48217
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Before the pandemic and my husband working from home, my "studio" was my living room, comfortably seated in a recliner, with my microphone (shaped like a traditional hand-held mic) in a mic stand adjusted to the right height and angle. There was a sofa directly across from me, which may have absorbed some echo - there was not a whole lot of room echo.

When my husband started working from home, my recording was distracting to him. So I've been banished to the second floor. I'm in our very messy office, at a desk facing the blank wall, with a couple chair cushions and towels hanging around to try to dampen the room echo. There's a half-wall of bankers boxes to my right and behind, which probably also absorb some echo.

I've never had a "studio" in even the loosest sense of the word, and I'm hopeful I'll be back in the comfortable living room at some point. :?
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 7th, 2020, 3:53 pm

TriciaG wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm
Before the pandemic and my husband working from home, my "studio" was my living room, comfortably seated in a recliner, with my microphone (shaped like a traditional hand-held mic) in a mic stand adjusted to the right height and angle. There was a sofa directly across from me, which may have absorbed some echo - there was not a whole lot of room echo.

When my husband started working from home, my recording was distracting to him. So I've been banished to the second floor. I'm in our very messy office, at a desk facing the blank wall, with a couple chair cushions and towels hanging around to try to dampen the room echo. There's a half-wall of bankers boxes to my right and behind, which probably also absorb some echo.

I've never had a "studio" in even the loosest sense of the word, and I'm hopeful I'll be back in the comfortable living room at some point. :?
Your first studio sounds like heaven!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6737
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 7th, 2020, 5:18 pm

I was recording at the computer desk in a corner of my living room up until early this past summer. I had long been wanting to turn an alcove in the spare bedroom into my studio. I was eventually able to buy a second computer (as I didn't want to feel like I was "stealing" our only one from my husband and stashing it in my own little hidey-hole). So I set up a folding card table in that little alcove (maybe eventually I'll get a desk), lined the walls with acoustic foam, and added a lamp. I still got much more echo than I was expecting (probably because the foam I bought was cheap), so I hung a heavy drape right behind me and a little blanket on my left. Now I call it my blanket fort. It is my happy place. :9: Still could use a few improvements, but I am happy.

jennlea
Posts: 790
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » November 7th, 2020, 8:51 pm

The original owners of our house added on "dressing rooms" to 2 of the bedrooms. They are narrow rooms that run the width of the each bedroom. When we moved in, I used the room attached to the guest room as a place to store all my craft/hobby stuff. Then once I started recording we rearranged it and I use half of the room as my studio. Blankets and acoustic panels are on the walls. I have a desk with an external monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse that runs my laptop outside of the studio. It is relatively quiet unless there is commotion in the neighborhood or strong winds. Was going to record tonight but we are having gusts of 40 mph which is mild for where I live, but the mic picks it up.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 7th, 2020, 9:40 pm

jennlea wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 8:51 pm
The original owners of our house added on "dressing rooms" to 2 of the bedrooms. They are narrow rooms that run the width of the each bedroom. When we moved in, I used the room attached to the guest room as a place to store all my craft/hobby stuff. Then once I started recording we rearranged it and I use half of the room as my studio. Blankets and acoustic panels are on the walls. I have a desk with an external monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse that runs my laptop outside of the studio. It is relatively quiet unless there is commotion in the neighborhood or strong winds. Was going to record tonight but we are having gusts of 40 mph which is mild for where I live, but the mic picks it up.
Mild?!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

jennlea
Posts: 790
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » November 7th, 2020, 9:52 pm

KevinS wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Mild?!
Well, maybe moderate. Couple weeks ago (perhaps a month, time blends together right now) we had 60mph winds and that left some damage around town.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

JordanN
Posts: 75
Joined: April 13th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Post by JordanN » November 11th, 2020, 4:55 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeDlJGFnyz/?igshid=1c8fufmgiwtca

Here’s what mine looked like this afternoon. I got my broadcast arm in the mail today and decided to drill holes through the glass (using the appropriate Dremel bits) and the glass suddenly shattered. Thankfully, I was wearing safety glasses and was mostly unharmed except for some superficial lacerations on my elbow.

Why? Because I thought the clamp arm might damage the glass. Thankfully we got the desk used for cheap so it’s not a big financial loss, just time lost cleaning it all up.
Last edited by JordanN on November 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48217
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 11th, 2020, 4:57 pm

JordanN wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 4:55 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeDlJGFnyz/?igshid=1c8fufmgiwtca

Here’s what mine looked like this afternoon. I got my broadcast arm in the mail today and decided to drill holes through the glass (using the appropriate Dremel bits) and the glass suddenly shattered. Thankfully, I was wearing safety glasses and was mostly unharmed except for some superficial lacerations on my elbow.
Oops. :help:
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 11th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Thankful you weren't seriously hurt!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.


KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Where's the soda fountain? The automatic bobbin winder?!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

JordanN
Posts: 75
Joined: April 13th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Post by JordanN » November 11th, 2020, 6:56 pm

KevinS wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Where's the soda fountain? The automatic bobbin winder?!
I asked for a mini-fridge but my wife/CFO denied my request.

david wales
Posts: 5836
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 5:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by david wales » November 12th, 2020, 5:55 am

My computer "desk" is a pull out shelf from one of the kitchen cabinets. Looks out to the backyard through a wall that is mostly floor to ceiling glass. Lots of entertainment here: squirrels and fruit rats (ugh) running across the top of the fence, 2 dachshunds defending us from threatened alien invasion, potted plants and trees (even an orange tree) which are often blowing in the wind (which in Southern California can be quite bracing). But it is not a good recording space because: the refrigerator and ice maker are somewhat noisy, the dogs' toenails click loudly on the wood floor, family walk through at unexpected times (what can I say; it's a kitchen), garbage trucks and street cleaners come through quite clearly. Sooo, when I record, I decamp to a bedroom, set up the laptop on an old tv tray stand in front of the chest of drawers, move the rolling chair in, close the door, and voila a (mostly) quiet recording space. Don't seem to need dampening devices but a bit hard for me to tell since I have moderate hearing loss. (I do manage to get the most egregious mouth clicks edited out.) For editing I can then go back to my pull out shelf and window on the world. Quite satisfying.
Peace, David

Post Reply