Microphones?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I was looking at our WIKI page called User Recommended Equipment to find a reference to microhphones. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=User-Recommended_Equipment and want to know if it is good info or out of date.

I am linking people to this page when first joining to short cut their search for equipment, specifically microphones. But is there a better source? please take a moment to glance at this page and tell me if you feel it needs to be updated or changed or is OK as it is. Many thanks. Your comments may save many new people some time and money. :D Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think it could do with a new section on mobile phones, Ipads,... not that I know anything about these. :lol:

Also, I think that the zoom H2 recorder is not produced any longer. :cry:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Availle wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 6:35 pm I think it could do with a new section on mobile phones, Ipads,... not that I know anything about these. :lol:

Yes, I have had at least 2 people say they are recording on their Iphone so that is definitely something we need to find out about. Anyone have any ideas? The phones seem to be doing a respectable job by the way!!! I have a ZOOM H2 if anyone would like to have it. Works fine I just can't see the microscopic menus.

EDIT: and Ipads! those are cropping up too more frequently. People just talk into the built in mic apparently. Geeesh!
EDIT: and pretty soon they will be using Echo "Alexa, record this;....."
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

philchenevert wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 6:50 pm I have a ZOOM H2 if anyone would like to have it. Works fine I just can't see the microscopic menus.
Ooh, I would take you up immediately on this offer, since mine shows signs of age, but the shipping costs would kill us both... :?

I use it as a standalone recorder and never deal with the menus once I set them up to LV standards years ago.
I use the SD card to save the raw recordings and transfer them to my computer when I do the edits with audacity.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
audiomike

Post by audiomike »

I'm sure the price of the U87 wouldn't scare anybody away. But why was there no mention of ribbon mics and reel to reel tape recorders?
Let's see, should I use a U87 or my iPhone? They both sound the same to me. :D

Seriously, though, I would try to stay away from headset mics of any kind. They're a lot more trouble than they're worth. Too many plosives and noise cancelling issues. And although phones and tablets may render decent results for the voice itself, most will suffer from reverb problems because the reader is so far from the mic. Acceptable, yes, recommended, no.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, for most people who come here and only want to try out this weird audiobook recording thing, "acceptable" is perfectly fine. There's no need to invest upfront into an expensive microphone/recorder, if you don't even know if you like recording stuff. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

You are absolutely right Ava. But how do we test these things? I don't have an iPad. Perhaps the question should be, 'why should we test these things'? Why invest time in the many ways of recording available now? If technology keeps getting better and better perhaps we should just avoid commenting on how the audio gets to the software and concentrate on their tests?

Maybe just saying the best way seems to be with a USB microphone and leave the rest alone. Many questions in this post because I have lots of questions. Just a confused guy I guess.
audiomike

Post by audiomike »

Concentrating on how the audio gets to the software will result in a lot less problems with the tests. Yes, nowadays there a lot of options; some good, some not so good. But if you stick to USB mic, PC/Mac, and Audacity, there will be less headaches for those doing the PL on the tests. Most people can't help those using a phone or tablet simply because they either don't have one or don't use them for reading. The test reader is left on their own to try and figure out how to get their file to meet the specs. This consumes a lot of PL time going back and forth on the forum.
So I would basically say stay with the combination mentioned above and stay away from everything else unless you already know what you're doing. And I would specify in the WIKI that if you stray from that combination, we may not be able to help you.
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

Availle wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 6:35 pm I think it could do with a new section on mobile phones, Ipads,... not that I know anything about these. :lol:

I believe the H2n is still produced and sold.

Zoom just announced the F2 yesterday. At $200 with an included lavalier microphone and Bluetooth control, it might be a good introductory option. It’s intended purpose is as an alternative to a wireless lav microphone for video, but it might work acceptably for Librivox purposes.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by audiomike »

How about just doing a new Microphone Showdown? The recent proliferation of USB mics from cheap to expensive should yield some interesting results. Provide a separate topic for comments on the showdown and work from there.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

audiomike wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:57 am How about just doing a new Microphone Showdown? The recent proliferation of USB mics from cheap to expensive should yield some interesting results. Provide a separate topic for comments on the showdown and work from there.
I'm sure there are objective standards with which comparisons can be made, but I'm beginning to realize how subjective all of this is.

Someone---I wish I remembered his (?) moniker---suggested that we speak closer to the mic. The difference is significant enough, but I still feel there is a value to recording from both close and farther (Not far.) Closer is giving me a warmer (?) tone which I think I will be using for some projects and not others. Why this is so---that is, my feeling that one is more 'appropriate' for one project than the other---is entirely up for grabs. It is a purely subjective.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am suggested that we speak closer to the mic. The difference is significant enough, but I still feel there is a value to recording from both close and farther (Not far.) Closer is giving me a warmer (?) tone which I think I will be using for some projects and not others. Why this is so---that is, my feeling that one is more 'appropriate' for one project than the other---is entirely up for grabs. It is a purely subjective.
proximity effect has a wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am proximity effect has a wikipedia page:
Thank you, schrm. I can't say I understand all of that, but I get the general idea.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 11:03 am
schrm wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am proximity effect has a wikipedia page:
Thank you, schrm. I can't say I understand all of that, but I get the general idea.
(that's more or less the same with me :-) )
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275