ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

https://youtu.be/OtvgxviSrTw
Here it is! You too can watch the dynamic video of our LibriVox Zoom meeting for October 18, 2020. Tons of excitement!
1) How do people listen to our audiobooks? apparently one app, the LibriVox app is the favorite one. Thanks to MIchele Fry and Melody Jaros for sharing.
2) Being a BC; Todd and Tricia were kind enough to let us in on the ups, downs and sideways of being a Book Coordinator for LibriVox. The BC is the backbone of LV. And the hipbone and the muscles too. :thumbs:

Phil announced that next week at 12 NOON October 25th there will be the last weekly zoom meeting hosted by him. At least for awhile. the topics next week will be more Book Coordinator experiences and discussion of ideas of ways in which Zoom might be used to help LibriVox best; what possible things might it help. Perhaps a monthly meeting might be best and others are welcome to host. We have a dazzling array of talent and brains here, let's put it use. All discussion will be in the Zoom Discussion thread and anyone who wishes to have 5 or 10 minutes just needs to ask. Got an idea? Let's hear it. Image

"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Yes, thanks to all who contributed. Everyone has such insightful and helpful views.

I am especially pleased that Michelle and Melody had a chance to discuss the ap (sp?) they use to listen to LibriVox books. I have to admit that listening with the use of one's cellphone looks inviting. One can go nearly anywhere and hear thousands of books!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Glad I could be there this week! These Zooms are always informative and I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge and to Phil for hosting them.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
smike

Post by smike »

I'm desolate that I forgot about yesterday's meeting. I watched the youtube video, and loved it. So much information again. I'm with Michele, I'd love for the zoom meetings to continue. Meeting people online in these times makes it easier to bear that you can't meet people in RL. OK, so I go to work every day, but that's not the same as talking to like-minded people who share the same interests.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Great. Let's talk about how Zoom can continue this Sunday at 12 Noon. I am sure that with our talent we can find a way.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: October 18th, 2020, 3:51 pm Glad I could be there this week! These Zooms are always informative and I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge and to Phil for hosting them.
It was nice to see your face yesterday. :thumbs:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Does anyone recall if our guest this past week talked about how long it takes for newly catalogued projects to show up in the app? I was looking for one that was catalogued today so I could add it to my “to listen” list but didn’t see it. Probably too soon for it to be in the app but would be nice to know how long it takes.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not that I heard. I would guess it probably updates every 24 hours, but that's just a complete guess.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

jennlea wrote: October 19th, 2020, 5:22 pm Does anyone recall if our guest this past week talked about how long it takes for newly catalogued projects to show up in the app? I was looking for one that was catalogued today so I could add it to my “to listen” list but didn’t see it. Probably too soon for it to be in the app but would be nice to know how long it takes.
On the LV home page and I think the Librivox announcement RSS feed and Cover Claims page, there is about a 4 hour gap, but I have absolutely no clear idea of the correlation between these two except my own observations over time. If there is an automated correlation between the two entities, I would certainly like to know. Why, you might ask? Just because I want to know what makes us tick.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What I gather from the API thread in our forum is -
the app operates off its own database
they collect information from our own API and from Archive
But how often they do it or how they decide what and when to collect I don't know. We are not in any way involved with any of the distribution of our files except via our catalogue.

Anne
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

msfry wrote: October 19th, 2020, 6:39 pm On the LV home page and I think the Librivox announcement RSS feed and Cover Claims page, there is about a 4 hour gap, but I have absolutely no clear idea of the correlation between these two except my own observations over time. If there is an automated correlation between the two entities, I would certainly like to know. Why, you might ask? Just because I want to know what makes us tick.
Being a naturally curious person, I love finding out how things work :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
geneblack

Post by geneblack »

philchenevert wrote: October 18th, 2020, 2:42 pm https://youtu.be/OtvgxviSrTw

Phil announced that next week at 12 NOON October 25th there will be the last weekly zoom meeting hosted by him. At least for awhile. the topics next week will be more Book Coordinator experiences and discussion of ideas of ways in which Zoom might be used to help LibriVox best; what possible things might it help. Perhaps a monthly meeting might be best and others are welcome to host. We have a dazzling array of talent and brains here, let's put it use. All discussion will be in the Zoom Discussion thread and anyone who wishes to have 5 or 10 minutes just needs to ask. Got an idea? Let's hear it.

AS a Brand NEW reader, I wish this were ongoing and maybe have some basics for the beginners. I learned the value of doing the One Minute Test from this (mostly over my head) meeting on 10/18 - which I watched on youtube later. It really got me more excited. I think it definitely needs to be promoted too. Perhaps there is a way to send all new(ish) readers a message so they know about it.
Phil, I appreciate all you do. And it says the next one is 12 NOON.....but what time zone???
~Peace to you~ Gene
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Part of it is that we can't put all the work on Phil to host these weekly meetings. It gets tiring; we don't want him to burn out! Anyone can host a Zoom meeting, and we'll post about it in the Zoom Announcement thread.

The meetings have been Noon, Central Time. :)

(Yeah, this meeting was a bit more on the advanced side - at least, much of the stuff about BC'ing!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'm so bummed to have missed this week's meeting! I got up early Sunday, did a bunch of chores, then crashed out and napped and FORGOT completely! I'm going to catch up on YouTube and do my darnedest to be there next week. I would like to continue these, maybe not always with an instructive schedule but just being able to get together and chat a bit would be so cool. Maybe alternate "structured" Zoom meetings with an agenda with "open" ones that are more of a hangout for chit chat and anyone asking anything they want about LV topics.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Phil, I appreciate all you do. And it says the next one is 12 NOON.....but what time zone???
Oh dear. Central TZ uSa. Please come! As a new reader we welcome you. I feel these will continue but as a rotating free discpussion/ planned topic kind of thing. Your views are welcome this Sunday, please let us know how you feel. Y'all come! :D