ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » February 12th, 2021, 10:17 pm

philchenevert wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 8:35 pm

You are chagrined?? I thought you were Polish. :lol:
Still rough around the edges.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » February 13th, 2021, 1:08 am

Thank you, Phil, for posting the most recent meeting. And thank you, mighty one, for your talk - it was interesting to see how somebody with a lot of experience does it. It's also interesting to see how personal preference leads experienced people to slightly different solutions (e.g. labels, single alternate window vs lots of windows).

One thing that I do that I haven't seen other people do is I edit exclusively in "Waveform (db)" mode. The logic here is that you can hear sounds at -30dB (starts and ends of speech), but you can't see them on a linear display. You can see them on Waveform (db) mode and avoid editing in the middle of a breath.

I liked the setup shown later with two microphones. I may have to experiment with that. I think I could capture main and aux mics using the L+R channels of my Focusrite and capture them as a stereo channel, then split the channel and experiment with subtracting one from the other.

The issue for us Librivoxers without a professional sound booth is that a couple of inches of foam, or a duvet and blanket (my preference!) absorbs everything above some frequency (say 300Hz), it does little below that. So we end up with a sound that is "boomy" - what we are hearing is room reverberation of the low frequencies, but not the high frequencies. The active cancellation using two mics might help here.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan » February 13th, 2021, 5:17 am

Thank you Devorah for generously sharing your expertise and talent. I am in awe of you, Todd and other dramatic works editors. Combining all the characters into one track is an intense labor of love and artisanry. Thanks for doing it. Your passion for it clearly shines through!

I look forward to when Todd and Jordan take their turns at joining Phil and Adrian leading Zoom meetings and videos to share their practices in more detail.
My LibriVox publications

MARCH to the Finish Line by completing as many almost-done projects as we can during March! Help with the list.

All Listeners: I welcome feedback

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 13th, 2021, 5:47 am

My turn at showing editing was earlier, and is, I think, recorded somewhere...?

Thanks, Todd

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 13th, 2021, 8:11 am

adrianstephens wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 1:08 am
One thing that I do that I haven't seen other people do is I edit exclusively in "Waveform (db)" mode. The logic here is that you can hear sounds at -30dB (starts and ends of speech), but you can't see them on a linear display. You can see them on Waveform (db) mode and avoid editing in the middle of a breath.
The latest version of Audacity (2.4.2) doesn't have the "Waveform (dB)" mode. Or if it is there, it's not in the side pick list.
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 13th, 2021, 8:34 am

I'm wearing the LibriVox dunce cap today. I thought the zoom session was to be on Sunday. Entirely my fault.
Not feeling well. I'll get back to work as soon as possible. My LibriVox: https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13278

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » February 13th, 2021, 9:02 am

TriciaG wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 8:11 am
adrianstephens wrote:
The latest version of Audacity (2.4.2) doesn't have the "Waveform (dB)" mode. Or if it is there, it's not in the side pick list.
Hello Tricia,

They moved it to Preferences/Tracks/Display Mode. Not as useful there if you want to switch between modes frequently.

Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 13th, 2021, 9:08 am

Thanks! I do look at it sometimes and wasn't happy when I saw it was "gone".
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » February 13th, 2021, 9:30 am

I was so sorry to have to miss this -- I had a whopping headache and was actually in bed by the time it rolled around! I'm looking forward to the recording though!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

JordanN

Post by JordanN » February 13th, 2021, 9:41 am

I’m going to do a Librivox recording this afternoon if anyone is interested in virtually looking over my shoulder and my observing my workflow in real time.

I’m not sure if anyone is that bored, but let me know if you’re interested. I’ll start at about 1 PM EDT.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » February 13th, 2021, 10:13 am

benderca wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Is someone going to let us in? I've been waiting for several minutes...
I hope you finally got in and apologize for not seeing you. We will have co-hosts next time to be sure about this.
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

loon

Post by loon » February 13th, 2021, 11:24 am

TriciaG wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 8:11 am
adrianstephens wrote:
I'm sorry to read that. I'm still on Audacity 2.3.3.

I also look at tracks in Waveform (dB) mode most of the time. If I'm looking for clipping I switch to Waveform mode - I've had more than enough math classes in college to know what a sine wave is supposed to look like!
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » February 13th, 2021, 1:25 pm

To get the dB display in version 2.4.2, right click in the +1.0 to -1.0 area in the pale blue area at the far left of the sonogram.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Peter Why wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 1:25 pm
To get the dB display in version 2.4.2, right click in the +1.0 to -1.0 area in the pale blue area at the far left of the sonogram.

Peter
YAY!!! Thank you!!

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » February 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm

It *does* seem a strange place to hide such a useful thing.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger