ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas » December 4th, 2020, 9:38 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 9:34 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:45 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:51 pm
I don't like booms. They make me jump. Especially when I'm not expecting one.

(Trying to break in to Kevin's Komedy Klub.)

🙂 That reminds of an incident that happened in Little Rock years ago. There was a gas explosion at a house. One person was injured. Fortunately, not too badly. The explosion happened in the garage, which was close to the bathroom where the gentleman was... Anyway, the TV reporter asked him, “When did you first notice the explosion?” :hmm: Notice? :hmm: Explosion? And the guy answers, “When the Gol danged thing blew me off the toilet!
One must ask: Was it a gas explosion?
It actually was, but probably not what you’re thinking 🙂
Mary

“A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson

Marsupial's Books

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » December 5th, 2020, 12:53 am

KevinS wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:32 pm
I'd like advice on reliable (and on-the-less expensive-side) booms for mics.
A boom needn't be expensive. I use this now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Boom-Microphone-Stand-Black/dp/B005I57GMM
I previously used an adjustable arm with springs, but finding a good place to mount it (not on the desk!) was a pain.

Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 5th, 2020, 1:50 am

MaryinArkansas wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:45 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:51 pm
I don't like booms. They make me jump. Especially when I'm not expecting one.

(Trying to break in to Kevin's Komedy Klub.)

🙂 That reminds of an incident that happened in Little Rock years ago. There was a gas explosion at a house. One person was injured. Fortunately, not too badly. The explosion happened in the garage, which was close to the bathroom where the gentleman was... Anyway, the TV reporter asked him, “When did you first notice the explosion?” :hmm: Notice? :hmm: Explosion? And the guy answers, “When the Gol danged thing blew me off the toilet!
There used to be a miner out at Lightning Ridge, the Far West opal-mining town of New South Wales, that guaranteed new-comers to the place that constipation could be cured by a three-day course of meditation.

He told them to go to their outdoors privy at 9pm every night for three nights and clear their minds of all thoughts. Not to think of anything at all, just to let go.

On the third night, he would creep up to the back of said outdoor privy, and fire his twelve-gauge shotgun into the air.

The constipation cure was remarkably and consistently successful.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
APOD

Victor J Daley George Essex Evans Roderic Quinn Mary Hannay Foott Marie E. J. Pitt James Hebblethwaite Shaw Neilson

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas » December 5th, 2020, 8:36 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 1:50 am

...On the third night, he would creep up to the back of said outdoor privy, and fire his twelve-gauge shotgun into the air.

The constipation cure was remarkably and consistently successful.
:D :D Love it. I wonder if there are any exploding outhouse stories in the LibriVox collection? :)
Mary

“A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson

Marsupial's Books

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

I wouldn't hold my breath. Or, actually, on second thought, maybe you'd better.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 5th, 2020, 11:41 am

mightyfelix wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:42 am
I wouldn't hold my breath. Or, actually, on second thought, maybe you'd better.
I think you could open for Phil and me when we go on tour.

msfry

Post by msfry » December 5th, 2020, 3:03 pm

test
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 5th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Hello everyone. I am not able to assign credentials to anyone else because they must be licensed users to start with (have their own pro account) and even then they will be added as a 'basic' user, in other words the free account so it seems futile to do all this swapping and switching when anyone can use the free account anytime they want anyway. After a lot of slogging reading and watching videos, it seems clear that an organization needs to have users already accredited before they can be assigned credentials to host meetings. It all seems to go in a circle and we are back to the beginning. I can understand that an organization will buy multiple licenses and have them available under the one organization umbrella but this is not the case here. Unless someone can find something I can't, the pro account just can be used by me alone. It is extremely frustrating but there it is.
Before it was carved, Mount Rushmore was unprecedented.

Zoom Meeting for LVers. Sunday Jan 24, 2 pm central
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8840814632

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 5th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Phil - we were talking about you PM'ing your login and password to the host. (And you could change the password afterward or something, to make it more secure.) I think we already knew you couldn't swap/share credentials.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories

benderca

Post by benderca » December 5th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I don't know if this is helpful, but you can set up the Zoom meetings as one "recurring meeting" and then all Librivox meetings would use the same meeting number and password every time. (I don't know what the security implications of this would be because I've only hosted private meetings so far). But the good thing is that you don't have to set a time in advance.

Secondly, you can set up the meeting so that participants can log in before the host. So theoretically the host doesn't have to come at all. When the first person logs in, the meeting starts. So you wouldn't have to worry about changing hosts. Phil would still be the host, even if he doesn't attend. (I'm not sure if the participants can record, though, that may have to be the host). I also have a professional account.

You can also assign co-hosts to a meeting, I believe. I haven't done it, but I saw it in the options.

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » December 5th, 2020, 11:43 pm

benderca wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 4:23 pm
I don't know if this is helpful, but you can set up the Zoom meetings as one "recurring meeting" and then all Librivox meetings would use the same meeting number and password every time. (I don't know what the security implications of this would be because I've only hosted private meetings so far). But the good thing is that you don't have to set a time in advance.

Secondly, you can set up the meeting so that participants can log in before the host. So theoretically the host doesn't have to come at all. When the first person logs in, the meeting starts. So you wouldn't have to worry about changing hosts. Phil would still be the host, even if he doesn't attend. (I'm not sure if the participants can record, though, that may have to be the host). I also have a professional account.

You can also assign co-hosts to a meeting, I believe. I haven't done it, but I saw it in the options.
Yes, this is how I use my account. My meetings are password protected, and I run a series of meetings using the same credentials.
Users can join before the host. When I join, I sometimes assign co-hosts to manage things like recording.
A meeting can run without the host turning up. Only the (co-)host can record, and can manage other attendees mute and video.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Great time Zooming tonight! Thanks very much for the wisdom and the warm friendship!

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 7th, 2020, 9:15 am

Here is the link to the video of our Zoom chat last night Dec 6 https://youtu.be/VjotfMCZIJE
Before it was carved, Mount Rushmore was unprecedented.

Zoom Meeting for LVers. Sunday Jan 24, 2 pm central
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8840814632

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 7th, 2020, 1:53 pm

I just watched it. :)

I don't understand how you, Phil (and I noticed it on Michele's screen when she did the CD cover tutorial), can have hundreds of forum notifications and unread private messages. :shock: That would drive me batty! Those always are down to zero (no number in a red bubble) when I finally log out of the forums.

It's one way I keep track of my projects and watched threads. I clear out the notifications so that when there's a red bubble, I know there's something I need to read.

To each their own, but my undiagnosed OCD would go crazy with that. :lol:
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 7th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Tricia, I share your pain. An unread posting or message would keep me up worrying all night about what it might concern!

Thanks, Todd