ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here's the thread where you can comment, ask questions and discuss various topics related to the Zoom meetings, make suggestions for future topics, volunteer to host meetings, etc. As usual, the latest comments are at the end of the thread. To subscribe, click the wrench upper left, and check Subscribe (or unsubscribe) on the drop-down menu., or make a post and you will be subscribed automatically:)

We will post invites to upcoming meetings on the Zoom Announcements Only Thread
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am considering these topics for our next Zoom get togethers:

1) Autohotkeys - how to set them up to help editing more quickly
2) Personalizing your keyboard shortcuts in Audacity - faster, smoother editing
3) Finding material outside of Gutenberg - where are those other sources of hidden gems?
4) How to make a simple video
5) Welcoming new members - what is most helpful?
6) The jobs of a BC: which are the most fun and which are the most onerous for you?
7) The Forum: which sections do you never visit, and why?
8) Pronunciation of names, how do you keep 'em straight?
please post as many as you wish in this thread, especially if you want to do a 10 minute segment on it. Image
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I discovered just now there are zoom meetings... Oh well. I considered two other topics:
1. How do you choose a book to bc? Do you use the book suggestions forum?
2. Which are your favorite books on Librivox and why?
3. What did you learn from books you read here?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
msfry

Post by msfry »

So what happened to all our previous discussion about the last Zoom meeting. Where is the link Mary posted to that product and where are the comments that I shared? Is all that gone?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2020, 8:29 am So what happened to all our previous discussion about the last Zoom meeting. Where is the link Mary posted to that product and where are the comments that I shared? Is all that gone?
The discussions are in the one called Zoom Meeting video.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:04 am
msfry wrote: October 6th, 2020, 8:29 am So what happened to all our previous discussion about the last Zoom meeting. Where is the link Mary posted to that product and where are the comments that I shared? Is all that gone?
They're still in the thread list in this forum: viewforum.php?f=24
We didn't remove them.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:10 am
MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:04 am
They're still in the thread list in this forum: viewforum.php?f=24
We didn't remove them.
So we actually have 3 zoom forums now? Can the two discussion threads be consolidated into one, or at least linked to in the first post so the link can be found?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have two active Zoom threads: this one and the announcements one (for meeting info and after-meeting video info). The other ones have been locked. They're still visible and can be read and referenced, but will not receive more posts.

We cannot merge the old chat posts into this thread because older posts are always displayed first. So if we merged in old posts, the OP (Phil's "Welcome to the discussion thread" post) would end up somewhere in the middle.

Here are direct links to the most recent previous threads:
"Zoom Meeting Video" viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82622
"When is the Next Zoom Meeting? The World Wants to Know!" viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82751
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

WORD COUNTS:
Based on Tricia's suggestion to me, I will copy and paste into this new forum the discussion (from the locked forum) on how to get Word Counts that followed the last Zoom Meeting. I will also suggest to Phil that he put Tricia's links to the old threads (from the post above) in his Opening Post (OP), as I have seen done in other continuing threads.
MaryinArkansas wrote:
Thanks to Michele for the word count demonstration. I hadn't thought about dividing longer chapters and doing numbered lists. Great information.

Regarding problems on counting words when downloading pdfs from Archive (or wherever) Foxit Reader is a good, free pdf program that will count text. https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/ (So far as I can tell, the free Adobe pdf does not count text.) Download the pdf then open it in Foxit Reader choose "Select Text" and "Read Mode" for the view. (at the top part of the screen) Then highlight the page/pages you want. When you've got the pages you want highlighted right click on the screen and a small, white screen will pop up showing several options...copy, select all, etc...with word count at the bottom of the white screen. Left click on word count and it shows the number of words in the section that was highlighted.
Michele (msfry) wrote: Thanks, Mary, I will download that.

If I had had more time, I could have addressed the issue of downloading Full Text files from IA. As Colleen pointed out, they do come with some baggage, like repeated page headers and page numbers, but the same principle applies for getting a close approximation to a word count, and especially dividing up long chapters into shorter sections by viewing the page display in Word/multiple page view/20%. Exact word count isn't the idea. A ball park figure will do. I especially want to avoid what happened to me on my American Book of the Dog group project, where the 5th chapter (of 55 chapters) was 1.5 hours long. I wasn't doing word count back then, just Page count, so when I realized I needed to divide that chapter in two, I had to ask several readers to re'record their Intro and Outro who had already recorded later sections. Everyone was nice about it, but it created unnecessary work for us all, and as BC I felt I needed to do a better job. Thick books do often have very long chapters.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I hope to collect all suggestions for topics in this thread (see my earlier post). Please reach down into your skill bags and think about what you do for LV that others might be interested in. We need suggestions but we also need people who are willing to give 10 or 15 minutes of their vast knowledge to the rest of us. Other wise you will all be stuck with my silly face looking at you singing Christmas songs and wiggling my fake eyebrows for 32 minutes. A sad thought. So step up people, share your hard earned skills and knowledge with others to make LV a better place. Or at least a more informed place.

I am going to start the next meeting with my ..... well, I'm going to post that in the Announcement thread. Ha.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd like to know the various ways people listen to our audiobooks -- on an iPhone, ipod, computer, whether stream or download, which apps used, etc. I'd be happy to demonstrate how I do it, but I don't know how I'd get my iPhone screen up on the Zoom screen.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I would like to learn about what the BCs do. How they choose books, what it takes to put everything together, unexpected problems that can arise, etc.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:27 pm I'd like to know the various ways people listen to our audiobooks -- on an iPhone, ipod, computer, whether stream or download, which apps used, etc. I'd be happy to demonstrate how I do it, but I don't know how I'd get my iPhone screen up on the Zoom screen.
A good topic. I would like to put this on the agenda for Zoom 10/18 first off if that is OK with you. Let me know. "How I Listen to LibriVox Audiobooks - How do you do it" I don't know how to get your iPhone screen up on zoom but I bet if you Google it someone will show how.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm I would like to learn about what the BCs do. How they choose books, what it takes to put everything together, unexpected problems that can arise, etc.
An excellent topic. I remember my excitement and fear when I put up my very first project. Venturing on an unknown sea. It was at the urging of Miss Stav and was a Romantic novel which took about 15 months to complete. An entire zoom session could be spent here, each of us telling how we choose books, how we prepare 'em, problems and thnings like t hat.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm I would like to learn about what the BCs do. How they choose books, what it takes to put everything together, unexpected problems that can arise, etc.
I find a Magic 8 Ball to be most useful.