ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Michelle, very sorry to hear about your troubles, keeping you in my thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who was there today, informative and fun as usual!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Yes, Michelle, very sorry to hear about all this difficulty. Stay strong, and know that we are wishing the best for you and your family.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

In the zoom meeting today someone mentioned they had come here from Gutenberg proofreading. She mentioned that there were sometimes links to LibriVox books in the Gutenberg entry. Could she please explain where these links are and how they show up? I would like to investigate putting more of them there. thanks.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

They seem kind of random. Sometimes it's a linked LV text read by a real person, sometimes it's a computer-read text. I don't think they've been doing it recently. I usually come across them when I do the random search function (click on search in the pulldown menu, then pick the random/dice choice and you get 20-25 random selections.

Here's the LV edition of the Federalist Papers, posted on PG in 2007: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22788

Here's a computer-generated audiobook with a posting date of 2005: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9423

I think the most recent date I've seen on any of the ones I've glanced at was 2008 or 2009...
Colleen McMahon

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Well Colleen, Since they are linked to some, it would seem possible to link to others, eh? I am also interested in linking LV recordings to Wiki articles and know that it is possible just somewhat difficult. The benefits of these links to all people seem obvious; a student can listen to the Federalist Papers as well as read them and read about them in a wiki. More research is in order and all information is welcome.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:47 pm Well Colleen, Since they are linked to some, it would seem possible to link to others, eh? I am also interested in linking LV recordings to Wiki articles and know that it is possible just somewhat difficult. The benefits of these links to all people seem obvious; a student can listen to the Federalist Papers as well as read them and read about them in a wiki. More research is in order and all information is welcome.
I've been linking LV projects to Wiki pages, and have written up a detailed description how to do this. I plan to publish it when I've run it by a few more people. Would you like to be my guinea pig?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Adrian I am on the lookout for the link to today's Zoom session. When might that be available?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

philchenevert wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:47 pm Well Colleen, Since they are linked to some, it would seem possible to link to others, eh? I am also interested in linking LV recordings to Wiki articles and know that it is possible just somewhat difficult. The benefits of these links to all people seem obvious; a student can listen to the Federalist Papers as well as read them and read about them in a wiki. More research is in order and all information is welcome.
Certainly worth talking to PG and seeing what it would involve and why they stopped, there might have been an issue inside their operation.

I also noticed that there does not appear to be a specific way to search for audiobooks. You have to either do the random thing or search on a specific title like Tom Sawyer or Call of the Wild — or an authors name—and see if there is an audio version.

There is also no “bookshelf” in the category area for audiobooks, but I’m not sure how much they have continued updating the bookshelves in general.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This conversation is progressing in two threads. See my post here regarding the LV audio uploads to PG.
Jo
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

The video of the Zoom meeting on 2020-11-08 can be found here:
https://youtu.be/77c5BcfqXR4

Thank you all for participating!
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm
I've been linking LV projects to Wiki pages, and have written up a detailed description how to do this. I plan to publish it when I've run it by a few more people. Would you like to be my guinea pig?
I've tried posting links to my projects on Wikipedia, but some *$&^%*@^* has erased all of them. Do you know anything about that?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

williamjones wrote: November 9th, 2020, 5:26 am
msfry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm
I've tried posting links to my projects on Wikipedia, but some *$&^%*@^* has erased all of them. Do you know anything about that?
Maybe it's HOW you were posting them and where, such that they looked spammy? See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71898 and maybe share specifics about how you were making the links there.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: November 9th, 2020, 6:53 am
williamjones wrote: November 9th, 2020, 5:26 am
msfry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm I've been linking LV projects to Wiki pages, and have written up a detailed description how to do this. I plan to publish it when I've run it by a few more people. Would you like to be my guinea pig?
Maybe it's HOW you were posting them and where, such that they looked spammy? See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71898 and maybe share specifics about how you were making the links there.
Thanks, Tricia, but I entered nothing but titles and links. I think she (*$&^%*@^*) thought Librivox was some sort of place offering audio books as merchandise. There were quite a few complaints about her redacting similar additions to Other/External Links, etc.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

From my experience, a determined nay-sayer will always win on wikipedia. I'm not saying surrender, but...
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just watched the video. Good job, Adrian. Very professional and you kept it going. Comments and shared perspectives were interesting.

I do wish everyone would put their Real Name (username) up so I can tell who you all are. And I miss seeing everyone on the sidelines.

I look forward to seeing you all on the 22nd, NOON. My presentation will be "The Basics of Cover Making". Not that everyone wants to make covers, but there is a very active little pocket of volunteers who do this, from which everyone benefits, and we could use a few more cover makers. Over 14,500 covers made so far, and those decorations do make our projects pop! Depending upon how long this takes, and I'm still timing it, there might be room for another presentation or two, or for some chat. "How I got into Librivox", or "What I get out of Librivox" was particularly interesting, and there are many more of these stories which could be told.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your enthusiasm, skills, questions and stories.