ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

All the personal information I have given during our zoom meetings is fabricated. For the record, I am not the King of Spain.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All jokes aside - if there is any question about participants knowing that they were being recorded and published all links should be taken down while the whole thing is sorted out, The forum is open to anyone

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

No problem at all Kevin. I knew that was not true because I am second in line for that throne and know the incumbent well.

About recording zoom meetings and then posting them online; We will me certain in the future to announce if either or both of these will be the case. For those currently available, I can definitely take down any that I posted to YouTube as well as edit them to remove personal information but you will need to give me an idea as to where it occurs.

As a first step towards privacy, I am making all ZOOM recordings that I posted on YouTube UNLISTED as of today. This means that only the people with the direct link can view it. Since the link was posted only inside LibriVox, this will certainly keep many people from randomly just finding it and watching it. In other words, someone just browsing would not even see the video or have access to it. Sure, this is not perfect but a first step to more protection. Let me know what you would like me to edit out of any existing recordings.

Stay tuned for more information or just jump in and add comments as you wish.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
benderca

Post by benderca »

Thanks, Phil!

I just sent you a personal message with the few seconds to cut, in which I give personal information. Everything else is fine with me (and fine to publish). I really enjoyed meeting you all and I would love to attend future meetings -- I was just taken quite by surprise. (And I thought people should be aware of this issue).

Thanks again,
TJ
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

benderca wrote: November 25th, 2020, 5:10 pm Thanks, Phil!

I just sent you a personal message with the few seconds to cut, in which I give personal information. Everything else is fine with me (and fine to publish). I really enjoyed meeting you all and I would love to attend future meetings -- I was just taken quite by surprise. (And I thought people should be aware of this issue).

Thanks again,
TJ
No problem at all TJ; sorry for the surprise. I am editing the video right now and snipping out that part. But the edited video will still be not public but unlisted. Since you have the link you can see it. It might take 8 hours for YouTube to fix the video
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Looking through this thread I see that the next Zoom meeting is December 6, 9 PM central time. I assume that's still the schedule.

One thing I would be interested in learning is how to use the Hathi Trust site. How are items searched and downloaded for LibriVox, what is available for download, what are the restrictions, etc?

More questions and comments coming soon. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

YES. All LibriVox people are invited to the next exciting ZOOM meeting that will be SUNDAY DECEMBER 6 AT 9 PM IN THE EVENING Central time USA. Hot ziggedy dog it will be fun. What is the agenda you ask? a charmingly diverse one to be sure. I will start by talking about editing, specifically those AutoHotKeys that can speed up your editing soooooo much by programming sequences of actions with a single little keystroke. (If encouraged I may touch on programming your Audacity keys) Next we will talk about Hathi Trust if I can find someone who knows how to use the things there. After that I would like to discuss the things people ask about in Need Help forum. There will be absolutely NO tolerance for anyone talking about the state of the world, state or local economy. Pets are encouraged to participate. We will talk a bit about how our beloved LibriVox is hitting new records almost every month!! Oh, and I would love a discussion of 1 minute test evaluations.

More to come as I gather information and more people . Note the time change to 9 PM at night central time
This meeting will be recorded and the video posted so clothing is suggested.

Phil Chenevert is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84010178278
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

UPDAtE: Agenda for Sunday Dec 6 will be 1) Audacity Hot Keys (the keys that tell audacity to do something); what they are currently set to and how to change them more to your liking 2) Microphones. We have a close relationship with our microphones but which are better for us? Just an overview for newer people looking for more clarity here 3) Volume - What is it? and how do we know what it is? and lots of other stuff about finding that pesky 89 dB level. Everyone is welcome to chime in.

As you can see, this is a mix of stuff for newer members but I am open for other suggestions.

Also, who wants to host the next ZOOM meeting in two weeks? Don't be shy. You get to pick the time too. We have a Zoom Scheduling Czar now but nobody to schedule!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'd like advice on reliable (and on-the-less expensive-side) booms for mics.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

KevinS wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:32 pm I'd like advice on reliable (and on-the-less expensive-side) booms for mics.
I use a good Rode boom.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't like booms. They make me jump. Especially when I'm not expecting one.

(Trying to break in to Kevin's Komedy Klub.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:51 pm I don't like booms. They make me jump. Especially when I'm not expecting one.

Rimshot!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

KevinS wrote: December 4th, 2020, 8:29 pm
mightyfelix wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:51 pm I don't like booms. They make me jump. Especially when I'm not expecting one.

Rimshot!
Yeah, especially Sonic Booms
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

🙂 That reminds of an incident that happened in Little Rock years ago. There was a gas explosion at a house. One person was injured. Fortunately, not too badly. The explosion happened in the garage, which was close to the bathroom where the gentleman was... Anyway, the TV reporter asked him, “When did you first notice the explosion?” :hmm: Notice? :hmm: Explosion? And the guy answers, “When the Gol danged thing blew me off the toilet!
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: December 4th, 2020, 8:45 pm

🙂 That reminds of an incident that happened in Little Rock years ago. There was a gas explosion at a house. One person was injured. Fortunately, not too badly. The explosion happened in the garage, which was close to the bathroom where the gentleman was... Anyway, the TV reporter asked him, “When did you first notice the explosion?” :hmm: Notice? :hmm: Explosion? And the guy answers, “When the Gol danged thing blew me off the toilet!
One must ask: Was it a gas explosion?