ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

sjmarky wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:32 pm I’m considering doing a narrator workshop on Feb 28 at 10am PST. Does that conflict with anybody’s plans?
I think Librivox should have a nightly informal social virtual meeting. I’d also like to have scheduled weekly coaching sessions with our pro narrators who volunteer at Librivox. I know I could definitely benefit from some coaching.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

sjmarky wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:32 pm I’m considering doing a narrator workshop on Feb 28 at 10am PST. Does that conflict with anybody’s plans?
I got so much from your workshop last time, I'd love to attend another...even if you cover the same material, it would still be helpful!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I would enjoy a narrator workshop. Read a lot of nice comments about the one from a few months ago.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Narrator's Workshop conducted last week by Mark Nelson, was very informative. I'm waiting for the video to be posted. Have I missed something?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

msfry wrote: March 7th, 2021, 11:17 am The Narrator's Workshop conducted last week by Mark Nelson, was very informative. I'm waiting for the video to be posted. Have I missed something?
It's here: https://youtu.be/T8qb_Q1jz9Q
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Are there any plans for another Zoom meeting soon? Or are we all Zoomed out?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MaryinArkansas wrote: March 14th, 2021, 11:00 am Are there any plans for another Zoom meeting soon? Or are we all Zoomed out?
No one has requested to be the next host for a meeting so that is where it stands. Actually I will be doing a zoom class for our local computer club (Cajun Clickers) next month on using Google Photos to store and organize your photos and more importantly, use it as a free entertainment for family gatherings. Face recognition will line up all the photos and videos of someone, say a grandaughter, as a slide show. So everyone can watch them grow up and see themselves along with the person. People really like it and can watch on a TV with internet access.

Zoom seems to be only marginally useful for LibriVox. I like the social aspect of course and will probably do another session in April just to chit chat and show our pets.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

If time allows, I would host a zoom session on the clean up month. What did we learn? What was fun? What wasn't? Mistakes we made along the way... And so on.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
msfry

Post by msfry »

miss stav wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:40 pm If time allows, I would host a zoom session on the clean up month. What did we learn? What was fun? What wasn't? Mistakes we made along the way... And so on.
I like it! I'll be there if the time is right. And I don't agree with Phil that Zoom is only marginally useful for Librivox. How many people even know about it? How well is it advertised? How comfortable are people with the Zoom program? We are still exploring. It doesn't have to go viral to be valuable. Those that show up, like Mary and me and other regulars, certainly think it is. :thumbs:
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

I'm wondering about doing another dramatic reading via zoom.
Who would be interested in participating?
What can we learn from the first such event?

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That the timing doesn't work at all. LOL! And people still make noises when they're not speaking. :lol:

I do have another farce by the same author all color coded, but it requires more voices. I'm not sure it would work well on Zoom.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CaHYp9Wf2C_Myp0Xs8RAKFKU_uXs2D5uiuZoq10H79E/edit?usp=sharing

Was Michele going to redo her cover making presentation at some point?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

adrianstephens wrote: March 14th, 2021, 2:06 pm I'm wondering about doing another dramatic reading via zoom.
Who would be interested in participating?

Best Regards,
Adrian
Yes! Me! Me! I'm sad that I couldn't participate in the first event but I would greatly enjoy participating in the next one. Count me in!
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: March 14th, 2021, 2:12 pm Was Michele going to redo her cover making presentation at some point?
I was, and I will, but I'm busy with the Wikipedia Links project at the moment. Furthermore, I was thinking of re-doing it as a tutorial, without an audience. I watch YouTube tutorials all the time, but I'm not sure if an LV tutorial without participants and Q&A will hold anyone's interest, or even my interest. What do ya'll think?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Michelle,

Maybe you could do a Zoom session with a couple of other Librivox people who make also make covers and have a back and forth discussion on how you each approach it, what’s the same for each person, what’s different, problems you’ve encountered, problems you’ve solved, etc.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MaryinArkansas wrote: March 14th, 2021, 4:55 pm Michelle,

Maybe you could do a Zoom session with a couple of other Librivox people who make also make covers and have a back and forth discussion on how you each approach it, what’s the same for each person, what’s different, problems you’ve encountered, problems you’ve solved, etc.
Now THAT I would be interested in! :D