ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Peter Why wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm It *does* seem a strange place to hide such a useful thing.
Peter
I tried it. It worked. But what is so useful about it?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Peter Why wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm It *does* seem a strange place to hide such a useful thing.
Peter
I tried it. It worked. But what is so useful about it?
When editing, you can see breaths better so as not to leave a "double breath" or cut off a breath midway. I also use it when I hear a little click that bothers me but I can't SEE.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's what I use it for, too. I find it too untidy to use when recording or editing, but it's great for catching fine details in what looks like silence in the usual sonogram.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I wasn’t able to join Friday’s Zoom session. Watched the YouTube video today. Thanks to everyone for a great session and all the hard work putting everything together. :thumbs:
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:21 pm When editing, you can see breaths better so as not to leave a "double breath" or cut off a breath midway. I also use it when I hear a little click that bothers me but I can't SEE.
Well, I'll have to give it a try.
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Peter Why wrote: February 13th, 2021, 1:25 pm To get the dB display in version 2.4.2, right click in the +1.0 to -1.0 area in the pale blue area at the far left of the sonogram.

Peter
I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know, Peter.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
msfry

Post by msfry »

It would be cool if we could append these tips or "after-notes: to the actual video, maybe in the comments section? Can we?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:00 am It would be cool if we could append these tips or "after-notes: to the actual video, maybe in the comments section? Can we?
Are the comments open on the YouTube video? They could go there.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:44 am
msfry wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:00 am It would be cool if we could append these tips or "after-notes: to the actual video, maybe in the comments section? Can we?
Yes, it would be fine to add them to the video in YouTube. I guarantee they will be seen.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I’m considering doing a narrator workshop on Feb 28 at 10am PST. Does that conflict with anybody’s plans?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:32 pm I’m considering doing a narrator workshop on Feb 28 at 10am PST. Does that conflict with anybody’s plans?
That's two Sundays from now, noon CST. Nothing on the schedule yet that I know of. Go ahead and claim it. What's a narrator? (Just joking - count me in! :D )
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

sjmarky wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:32 pm I’m considering doing a narrator workshop on Feb 28 at 10am PST. Does that conflict with anybody’s plans?
1 ET sounds great. What will your agenda be? Who will be your target audience? What will you cover?
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I will try my best to attend, but as has been said somewhere before, "I am an unreliable narrator".
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
msfry

Post by msfry »

GraceBuchanan wrote: February 15th, 2021, 8:11 am
1 ET sounds great. What will your agenda be? Who will be your target audience? What will you cover?
Mark's (Mark Nelson) first workshop on 11/10/20 was basically "Voice Coaching". I haven't been able to find the video link but there is one. Good stuff, and he promised to do others. A limited number get to read and practice aloud (those who sign up for it first), but attendance is unlimited as I recall. You can learn a lot just by watching.
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:59 am
TriciaG wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:44 am
Yes, it would be fine to add them to the video in YouTube. I guarantee they will be seen.
Phil: Could you post this in the First Post, please:
Here is the link to the YouTube channel where our videoed Zoom sessions are posted: link.
I never can find it.