ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We should keep in mind that a Zoom Pro account is good for 1 year only, then needs to be renewed at (the current rate of) $159. Who would pay that?
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Either someone will offer, or it'll drop.

Doesn't it have a monthly option? Or did they dump that? (Our church did a monthly subscription and was able to cancel it when we started meeting in person again.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:10 am Doesn't it have a monthly option?
Doesn't look like it. https://zoom.us/pricing
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

msfry wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:15 am
TriciaG wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:10 am Doesn't it have a monthly option?
Doesn't look like it. https://zoom.us/pricing
Yes it does - I have one - but it’s more expensive at 15.99/mo.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Many thanks to Tricia and Michele. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs:

As for the next year's funding: I'll volunteer to take care of that if I'm still on the right side of the grass.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

I want to start participating in Zoom meetings, but I don't get home from helping produce our church's weekly broadcast until after 1:30PM EST. Would participants be willing to move the weekly broadcast back by a couple of hours?

Alternatively, perhaps we could have a nightly Zoom lobby where Librivox members would meet and discuss a scheduled topic or just informal chatter. This nightly round-table could be very useful for obtaining peer feedback on technical setup and narration technique.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi everyone. I have been very much out of the loop recently due to moving so forgive me if stuff is not being answered promptly. It is not unwillingness, it is just too much real life stuff needing to be done and all at the same time apparently or the power is shut off. Or turned on, I forget which.

Bill, I agree that the intend of the gifted Zoom account was as you said, for the entire LV community. I really want to share the credentials and will do so with anyone you all think appropriate.

There is a Zoom meeting scheduled for Dec 6 BUT it will be moved in time to 9 PM central USA. Crazy, huh? The announcement will be posted officially by Friday. Bill, I am asking you to browse through the NEED HELP, GOT ADVICE? and the SUGGESTIONS forums to see if there are any topics that seem to recur and which might be good topics for a Zoom discussion. I know your genius at gleaning useful info from masses of information and thought immediately of you to do this for me. If this is not your cup of tea that's OK, I will just talk about AutoHotKeys and stuff like that. Oh, and I want to do a take on "you know you're addicted to LV when ..." in that meeting too.

Michele, I would be happy to share the meeting info with you and thanks for volunteering as the Big Scheduler In The Sky.

Anything I'm missing, just say and we will tackle it.
EDIT: Jordan, a nightly meeting would be great as a place to drop by and chat with others, but someone would need to do it.
Note the change in time for the upcoming meeting. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

philchenevert wrote: November 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm Hi everyone. I have been very much out of the loop recently due to moving so forgive me if stuff is not being answered promptly. It is not unwillingness, it is just too much real life stuff needing to be done and all at the same time apparently or the power is shut off. Or turned on, I forget which.

Bill, I agree that the intend of the gifted Zoom account was as you said, for the entire LV community. I really want to share the credentials and will do so with anyone you all think appropriate.

There is a Zoom meeting scheduled for Dec 6 BUT it will be moved in time to 9 PM central USA. Crazy, huh? The announcement will be posted officially by Friday. Bill, I am asking you to browse through the NEED HELP, GOT ADVICE? and the SUGGESTIONS forums to see if there are any topics that seem to recur and which might be good topics for a Zoom discussion. I know your genius at gleaning useful info from masses of information and thought immediately of you to do this for me. If this is not your cup of tea that's OK, I will just talk about AutoHotKeys and stuff like that. Oh, and I want to do a take on "you know you're addicted to LV when ..." in that meeting too.

Michele, I would be happy to share the meeting info with you and thanks for volunteering as the Big Scheduler In The Sky.

Anything I'm missing, just say and we will tackle it.
EDIT: Jordan, a nightly meeting would be great as a place to drop by and chat with others, but someone would need to do it.
Note the change in time for the upcoming meeting. :D
Well said, Phil. Your cooperation was never in doubt and we all appreciate it.
I'll try to ferret out repeated items in the Advice and Suggestions fora.
Also: I second Phil's nomination of Michele to be our "Big Scheduler In The Sky" :D :D :P
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
benderca

Post by benderca »

Hi Librivoxers!

I just discovered this thread... Thanks, Tricia!

I took part in two Zoom conferences a couple of months ago and was unpleasantly surprised to see that they had been recorded and were on the internet. I had not realized that the meetings were being recorded and said some personal things (such as my location), thinking I was just talking to a few Librivox members and not to the whole world... :help:

But I would love to participate in Zoom meetings that are not recorded and put on the world wide web (or if recorded, I'd be more careful of what I say, especially since my young daughter is on Librivox too)... Is there any way to know in advance whether or not the meeting is being recorded?

Thanks,
TJ
Last edited by benderca on November 25th, 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

benderca wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:12 am Hi Librivoxers!

I took part in two Zoom conferences a couple of months ago and was unpleasantly surprised to see that they had been recorded and were on the internet. I had not realized that the meetings were being recorded and said some personal things (such as my location), thinking I was just talking to a few Librivox members and not to the whole world... :help:

But I would love to participate in Zoom meetings that are not recorded and put on the world wide web... Is there any way to know in advance whether or not the meeting is being recorded?

Thanks,
TJ
Darn good question!!
A week ago I hosted a "Zoom poetry slam", recorded it, did some slight editing then put it on YouTube .... and caught hell from my daughter who participated in the "slam". Her complaint was that I had published the poetry the participants read and the intervening personal chatting WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. After mulling over this complaint, I have to agree.

I think it should be part of the Zoom Code of Ethics that participants should be alerted that they were being captured on video and given the choice to remain in the session or not, as - as TJ suggested for himself.

Them's my 2-cents.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
benderca

Post by benderca »

williamjones wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:41 am
benderca wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:12 am Hi Librivoxers!

But I would love to participate in Zoom meetings that are not recorded and put on the world wide web... Is there any way to know in advance whether or not the meeting is being recorded?

Thanks,
TJ
Darn good question!!
A week ago I hosted a "Zoom poetry slam", recorded it, did some slight editing then put it on YouTube .... and caught hell from my daughter who participated in the "slam". Her complaint was that I had published the poetry the participants read and the intervening personal chatting WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. After mulling over this complaint, I have to agree.

I think it should be part of the Zoom Code of Ethics that participants should be alerted that they were being captured on video and given the choice to remain in the session or not, as - as TJ suggested for [herself].

Them's my 2-cents.
Yes, I've also been guilty of doing this myself: Posting videos of my daughter on Facebook (albeit only for my friends, but I have 750 of them!) without her permission. Now that she is old enough to understand the implications of Internet fame (and privacy issues), I have to be very careful. I know in a Zoom meeting when you start a recording, the program announces to all participants: "This session is being recorded." But I signed in late to both meetings I attended and no one mentioned it to me. I guess the host could say: "Welcome to our Zoom meeting. This meeting is being recorded and will be published publicly on the web" - whenever new people log in.
Last edited by benderca on November 25th, 2020, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I should also point out that in some states, such as here in California, it is actually illegal to record someone without their knowledge and consent. I was quite careful about this when I did a Zoom narrator workshop last Nov. 10. The participants were informed both in the announcement and at the beginning of the session, and the recording was made only available to participants via direct download link and not posted anywhere public (at least not by me).
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Hello all,

It is possible to edit a zoom recorded video, assuming you actually record it, unlike the idiot last week, and then edit it.
We do this all the time for our church where the minister's video is inset into any presentation slides he has. Only the sermon
is published.

Likewise for a zoom call, it would be entirely possible to include the presentation material, but exclude Q&A and chit-chat.

I agree, people on the call should know if they are likely to be heard or seen on a public video. They could, for instance, not
turn on their camera or audio, and submit questions by chat.
They can also set their screen name to something that is non-obvious, such as a librivox username that is not related to their own name.

However, when I host, I look askance at attendees who have not identified themselves. I would probably exchange chat with them
and if they are unwilling to identify themselves privately I would permanently mute and turn off their video during the call to avoid
possible disruption.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
benderca

Post by benderca »

I don't have a problem with being part of a recorded meeting, per se. I've been an actor and public speaker for years, and have no problem with being recorded and published. I just would have liked to be prepared and then I would have given less personal information about myself. I had no idea the meeting would be publicized in any forum. We talked about our locations, which I have never given in Librivox because it is a public forum. And I invited my daughter in to meet the group (luckily she declined). I was then shocked to see the video published publicly.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maybe we should take down that video that has more personal info in it. It was one of the first ones, I think. Phil - can you do that?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:17 pm Maybe we should take down that video that has more personal info in it. It was one of the first ones, I think. Phil - can you do that?
Video can be snipped here and there if someone cites the time span of a segment they want removed. But if it's the one with my Word Count discussion, or Devorah's or Todd's Dramatic Productions presentations, or other shared skills, I don't think it's proper to remove the whole video.

In future, each invitation could include boiler plate language to the effect "This video is being recorded and will be posted to ?????. Your joining this session is your permission for Librivox to post whatever you share there to our WikiLinks Page."

Maybe make a YouTube page only available via password. Something like that.