ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I agree. On the other hand, I have thousands upon thousands of old emails in my inbox that I'll probably never deal with. Maybe it's because most of that is spam, and we don't have spam here. :9:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

LV Zoom Request

Dear Czarina Michele of the LV Zoom world:

I would like to hold a Zoom session on Sunday, December 20th, at 3pm CST.

Title: the First Librivox POETRY SLAM

Length of zoom session: 90 minutes.

How it works:

Librivoxers are encouraged to recite some of their own poetry. But, if things slow down near the end, attendees may recite some poems found in Librivox projects... but audience members should feel free to hassle and abuse such "Free Loaders".

Each poem recited should be no more than 4 minutes long.

RSVP
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: December 7th, 2020, 3:51 pm LV Zoom Request

Dear Czarina Michele of the LV Zoom world:

I would like to hold a Zoom session on Sunday, December 20th, at 3pm CST.

Title: the First Librivox POETRY SLAM

Length of zoom session: 90 minutes.

How it works:

Librivoxers are encouraged to recite some of their own poetry. But, if things slow down near the end, attendees may recite some poems found in Librivox projects... but audience members should feel free to hassle and abuse such "Free Loaders".

Each poem recited should be no more than 4 minutes long.

RSVP
Hi, Bill. I've put you in the Zoom Calendar for Sunday, December 20, 3 p.m. for the First Librivox POETRY SLAM. Sounds like fun, so I hope members will join and read some of their own unique material, maybe with some background as to why the wrote it, when, etc. I will give a heads up on the event over at the Fortnightly and Weekly Poetry Suggestions forum, and ask our resident poets to check the Announcement Thread for details.

Is there a reason why attendees have to limit their poetry selections (aside of their own) to those found in Librivox projects? Do we have to stick to PD material if we're just reading poems aloud?

I will send you the Librivox Zoom Credentials so you can log in and practice setting yourself up as host for the event. I've done it a few times and there are some things a guest host needs to do to "make it their own".
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:53 pm I just watched it. :)

I don't understand how you, Phil (and I noticed it on Michele's screen when she did the CD cover tutorial), can have hundreds of forum notifications and unread private messages. :shock: That would drive me batty! Those always are down to zero (no number in a red bubble) when I finally log out of the forums.

It's one way I keep track of my projects and watched threads. I clear out the notifications so that when there's a red bubble, I know there's something I need to read.

To each their own, but my undiagnosed OCD would go crazy with that. :lol:
Well, those really are not unread messages or forum posts. I don't kknow why they show up as unread. Hmmmmmm. I learned to ignore that red number a long time ago since it did not correspond to reality as far as I could tell. Something is amiss here.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I don't understand how you, Phil (and I noticed it on Michele's screen when she did the CD cover tutorial), can have hundreds of forum notifications and unread private messages. :shock: That would drive me batty! Those always are down to zero (no number in a red bubble) when I finally log out of the forums.
I get email notifications of every post and every PM as they are posted, and visit them every day. I never pay attention to "Notifications" in the forum windows, didn't even know they existed until a few months ago. I wish I could turn them off so they don't make me look so negligent! And, I NEVER log out either. So there's your answer how I can do that with clear conscience. I did just learn how to mark them all as "read".
Last edited by msfry on December 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Actually, I think you can turn them off. At least, the notifications - probably not the private messages. :)

Go here: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options and uncheck the ones under Notifications.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:18 pm Actually, I think you can turn them off. At least, the notifications - probably not the private messages. :)

Go here: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options and uncheck the ones under Notifications.
Just did that! Thanks.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Zoom 5.4.2 is here!
With Robust security enhancements. Here's everything you need to know about Zoom 5.4.2.
https://us02web.zoom.us/postattendee?id=3
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey Michele. We missed you last night. It was not an awe inspiring session (a lot of me mumbling) but still fun.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:30 pm Zoom 5.4.2 is here!
With Robust security enhancements. Here's everything you need to know about Zoom 5.4.2.
https://us02web.zoom.us/postattendee?id=3
Thanks for this update, Tsarina!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: December 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm Hey Michele. We missed you last night. It was not an awe inspiring session (a lot of me mumbling) but still fun.
I'm sorry. Looks like I'm not a morning person, and I'm not a night person. I'm just a middle of the day person. I ate dinner then fell asleep in front of the TV waiting for 9 p.m. to arrive. Thanks for the video link. I'll watch it and do up your minutes. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

12/6/2020 Minutes (If I forgot something, let me know and I'll edit it in).
Host: Phil 1:07 hours
Attendance: Phil, David Lawrence, KevinS, Bill Jones, colleen McMahon, Kimyarda Richelle, loon (Rich), MaryS
Link to Video: https://youtu.be/VjotfMCZIJE

Topics discussed:
  • Volume: why 89dB?, Normalize, Replay Gain, Mp3 gain.
  • Key Bindings in Audacity
  • Macros
  • Auto Hot Keys (not specific to Audacity)
  • Brands of Microphones
  • Which Forums do you visit most? (didn't have time to explore)
  • This is the last scheduled zoom session, unless someone offers to do one.
Suggestions for future Zoom sessions:
  • Using bookmarks, Notifications, emails
  • Explore the Forums, including the "Chatty boards"
  • Pronunciation (help with French, Greek, etc.)
NOTE: If a member wants to schedule a Zoom session using the Librivox Zoom Pro Account, post notice in the Zoom Discussion Thread with suggested date and time. Michele is keeping a calendar and will send you confirmation, log in instructions, as well as some Zoom tips every host needs to know.

ADDENDUM:
Next Zoom Session is scheduled for Sunday, December 20, 3 p.m. CST, host, Bill Jones
FIRST LIBRIVOX POETRY SLAM
A chance to perform your own poems, OR a favorite poem, and potentially reveal a bit about yourself.
Please RSVP via PM to williamjones
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:44 am <snip>
NOTE: If a member wants to schedule a Zoom session using the Librivox Zoom Pro Account, post notice in the Zoom Discussion Thread with suggested date and time. Michele is keeping a calendar and will send you confirmation, log in instructions, as well as some Zoom tips every host needs to know.

ADDENDUM:
Next Zoom Session is scheduled for Sunday, December 20, 3 p.m. CST, host, Bill Jones
FIRST LIBRIVOX POETRY SLAM
A chance to perform your own poems, OR a favorite poem, and potentially reveal a bit about yourself.
Please RSVP via PM to williamjones
Thank you for these A+ minutes.
I have a question:
The notes reflect this comment: "If a member wants to schedule a Zoom session using the Librivox Zoom Pro Account, post notice in the Zoom Discussion Thread..." Question: When will this appear in the ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am Thank you for these A+ minutes.
I have a question:
The notes reflect this comment: "If a member wants to schedule a Zoom session using the Librivox Zoom Pro Account, post notice in the Zoom Discussion Thread..." Question: When will this appear in the ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD?
Thanks. Only MC's can post to a locked thread, so I guess Phil or Tricia will do those honors once a class is cleared for takeoff. This one is. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

williamjones wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am I have a question:
From my perspective: When there's a link to the meeting? Although I suppose it could be posted earlier and the link edited in later.

EDIT: I'm making the post now.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart