LIBRIVOX NARRATOR WORKSHOP! [Zoom, Oct 10]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

LIBRIVOX NARRATOR WORKSHOP!

Want to have more fun narrating? Want to try some new things? Like to learn some handy tricks of the trade? This is strictly performance-focused and non-technical, including live participation (voluntary of course). And totally free!

This is a one-hour interactive workshop focusing on the art and craft of book narration hosted by Mark Nelson, Librivox narrator since 2007 with 97 solo recordings for Librivox and over 90 professional audiobooks.

WHEN: Saturday, October 10, 5:00 PM PDT
WHERE: Zoom
LIMIT: 12 participants
RESERVATIONS: PM me (sjmarky)

Each participant will receive an audio copy of the session for future reference.

Are you willing to read a short text during the Zoom? If so, let me know in your PM. I will provide the material ahead of time.

Questions or concerns? Shoot me a message.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's:
8:00 PM Eastern (New York City)
1:00 AM Sunday in London, UK
11:00 AM Sunday in Sydney, Aus
12:00 AM SUnday UTC
;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Is it possible to post the time as GMT? Less chance of confusion.

In Australia, Daylight saving is observed in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, the Australian Capital Territory and Norfolk Island.

Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Christmas Island or the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Daylight Saving Time begins at 2am on the first Sunday in October, when clocks are put forward one hour. It ends at 2am (which is 3am Daylight Saving Time) on the first Sunday in April, when clocks are put back one hour.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here's my ignorance at play, but isn't London GMT?

EDIT: Well, I just had to google. Did anyone know that there is such a thing as British Summer Time?! They are GMT only in winter.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Count me in. I will be sending my PM later. :thumbs: And I suggest keeping it scheduled in your local time. we can all translate that easy enough.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

KevinS wrote: September 26th, 2020, 6:33 pm Here's my ignorance at play, but isn't London GMT?

EDIT: Well, I just had to google. Did anyone know that there is such a thing as British Summer Time?! They are GMT only in winter.
As you can see, despite being in the same time zone, New South Wales observes Daylight Saving Time and Queensland doesn't.

Hence the signs at the border: "Now Entering Queensland. Please Set Clocks Back Ten Years." :wink:

Chris
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

UTC is GMT, for all practical purposes. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

In fairness to Queensland they are much closer to the equator than the southern states so their day/night are more equal all the year round so in FNQ the children would be going to school in the dark if they adopted summer time

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

annise wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:01 pm In fairness to Queensland they are much closer to the equator than the southern states so their day/night are more equal all the year round so in FNQ the children would be going to school in the dark if they adopted summer time

Anne
Plus that extra hour of daylight fades the curtains. :wink:

Actually, our former Prime Minister Bob Hawke once said of the then State Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen: "I know why they don't have daylight-saving in Queensland ... because up there, the sun shines out of Joh's arse and he's not getting up an hour earlier for anyone!"

Politics in Australia... :roll:

Actually, I've spent the last year or so getting up at 4am to leave at 5am to drive out to the industrial areas at the foot of the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, and my gripe with daylight saving is that, now just as it's getting to sunrise as I go in to work, in another week or so daylight saving is going to kick in and I'll be back in the dark again.

I wouldn't mind so much, but the road down to the place I work runs alongside open grass paddocks, and they're full of kangaroos at dawn, as you may've seen from photos I've posted. I've never hit one yet when they bound across the road, and I'd like to keep it that way, so the daylight would be welcome.

Cheers,
Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We are really badly off topic , sorry Mark.
And all politics less than 100years old are not acceptable at LV ever.

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

TriciaG wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:15 pm That's:
8:00 PM Eastern (New York City)
1:00 AM Sunday in London, UK
11:00 AM Sunday in Sydney, Aus
12:00 AM SUnday UTC
;)
Just confirming that, according to https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/, the conversion from PDT to AEDT (ie, the Sydney time) is indeed correct.

The lesson here is, "Thou shalt not doubt Tricia". :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
nmontenegrog

Post by nmontenegrog »

Hello! Can I register? I'm new so I can't send any messages, but would love to participate in the workshop
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

No problem. I’ll send you the deets tomorrow.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
nmontenegrog

Post by nmontenegrog »

Thank you!
tamtaj

Post by tamtaj »

Hi! I'm new here and cant's use the PM function just yet. I was wondering whether I could also receive an audio copy of the session. Since it is held 4 AM my time, I will not be able to participate, but would love to listen to it to prepare for my test recording and overall librivox volunteer life.)))
Cheers!
Tamta