Zoom meeting video

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

sjmarky wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:28 am
Of course I want you to show punch and roll, that is how you record/edit and it is becoming more popular all the time.
Hopefully I can execute a screen share. Should only occupy a couple of minutes.
Please go slowly and explain what you are going to do before hand if possible. It takes a while for my brain to understand stuff.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My presentation will be easier to understand and will be especially helpful for those of us who read by candlelight. I will perform the estimable 'drop and roll.' (If I can find my fire extinguisher.)
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

philchenevert wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm
sjmarky wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:28 am
Of course I want you to show punch and roll, that is how you record/edit and it is becoming more popular all the time.
Hopefully I can execute a screen share. Should only occupy a couple of minutes.
Please go slowly and explain what you are going to do before hand if possible. It takes a while for my brain to understand stuff.
Got it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

THE NEXT ZOOM MEETING IS NIGH !!! BE afraid, be very afraid.

Whoops I meant Saturday night, not Tomorrow night we will be chatting about editing and whatever else is on you minds.

Zoom meeting.LibriVox Chit-Chat#4 Y'all come! Editing is the main topic; also taking care of your voice
If begged, I will show my editing old fashioned style and sjmarky will demonstrate a bit of punch & Roll. Kevin will show us his Drop, Roll and Wiggle technique. Anyone else is most welcome. This is an experiment so who knows what will happen.
Cameras are not essential

Time: Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 07:00 PM Central
Meeting Link:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82120531493
Passcode: 5jRX8K

This one will be one hour long and be recorded in color and monophonic sound! with extra sprinkles and will be posted in this link Sunday. .
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Looking forward to the meeting and the demonstrations. One question about punch and roll. Is it only on Audacity, or can it be done in any recording format?

I'm also interested in the old fashioned editing style, and whatever devious things Kevin is dreaming up. If he's bad, I assume that we can relegate his square to the left or right bottom corner.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

MaryinArkansas wrote: September 18th, 2020, 8:53 am Looking forward to the meeting and the demonstrations. One question about punch and roll. Is it only on Audacity, or can it be done in any recording format?

I'm also interested in the old fashioned editing style, and whatever devious things Kevin is dreaming up. If he's bad, I assume that we can relegate his square to the left or right bottom corner.
I don't use Audacity myself, but I understand either a plug-in or some workaround has been created that allows P&R in Audacity. You need recording software that has the record pre-roll feature. I'll be talking about all that tomorrow.

My website
My Librivox reader page
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The later versions of Audicaty have the punch and roll built in, nothing additional needed. I guess it was a feature that a lot of people wanted. I feel confident that someone in LV is using it now.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I use punch and roll in Audacity. I was quite hesitant to try it at first, but I was very soon converted. Now I use it almost always.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

mightyfelix wrote: September 18th, 2020, 9:58 am I use punch and roll in Audacity. I was quite hesitant to try it at first, but I was very soon converted. Now I use it almost always.
No one ever goes back!

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I tried it but went back to the long, slow way of editing. Sometimes I find upon listening that my first "take" was actually the best, or sometimes I combine "takes" (first part of one, end of another) into one phrase. I lose that ability with P&R.

(OK, Tricia - get off the forum and go pickle those beets!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

philchenevert wrote: September 15th, 2020, 1:30 pm ... And don't assume we are all merry. We welcome grumpy and depressed people too.
oooh Can I play??!
I'll apologize in advance for alienating everyone!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

realisticspeakers wrote: September 18th, 2020, 10:32 am
philchenevert wrote: September 15th, 2020, 1:30 pm ... And don't assume we are all merry. We welcome grumpy and depressed people too.
oooh Can I play??!
I'll apologize in advance for alienating everyone!
Welllll ...I suppose so. As long as you don't start quoting Nietzsche again.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

"Go team!" has been officially retired as our club cheer. We will now use "Pickle those beets!"
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The runner up, if anyone cares, was "Nietzsche is peachy!"
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

I didn't get into P&R, but stuck with the same "long, slow way of editing," for the same two reasons you mentioned (both of which occur quite often in my recordings). :)
TriciaG wrote: September 18th, 2020, 10:06 am I tried it but went back to the long, slow way of editing. Sometimes I find upon listening that my first "take" was actually the best, or sometimes I combine "takes" (first part of one, end of another) into one phrase. I lose that ability with P&R.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World