Speech tracking text

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 24th, 2020, 12:37 am

This is not strictly LV but I know someone was talking about it some time ago and there may be something one of you know about. I'm not sure what it would be called or how it would work but here is the email. I have suggested she contact the person running the channel and it may even be a member. But I'd like to be able to help.

Anne
2:53 AM (14 hours ago)

to me
Hello-

I work in Reading classes for academically challenged middle school students. Because of the recent COVID 19 situation, we are doing all of our classes and supports online, mostly through Zoom.

This works well for me to have my students pick out an article, share the screen, and have the student read the article aloud to me, but some of my students have trouble tracking the words across the screen. They often skip words, lines, and paragraphs. We tried using Text to Speech programs and muting the volume, but it also mutes one or both of our microphones which means we can't interact with each other and the text.

I have exhaustively searched for an online tool that would track words across the screen to no avail. Today, I was sending your YouTube page to another teacher, and I noticed that the videos with the white backgrounds have a word highlighter that moves across the page as the speaker reads. It looks to me like the moving highlighter might be an independent device that the reader adds to the recording. I am hopeful that you might know what I could do to solve this problem.

Can you tell me what device/program the reader is using for the highlighter to move from word to word and where I would find that device/program?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » April 24th, 2020, 2:39 am

There area many youtube channels out there using our recordings to produce videos, so that's a bit vague.

It would be best if she contacted the owner of that particular channel directly.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 24th, 2020, 2:53 am

I did tell her that - but there have been people/peoples talking about one somewhere in the forums . And it also might be something someone knows about. I had a feeling it was more for people learning English than learning to read but I don't know

Anne