The Advantage Of Multiple Versions

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi, I cannot believe I am writing this but oh well. With the virus raiging and me having some time to read, I would like to tell you that there is a huge advantage in multipal versions of books. The advantage is that I, as a listener, can choose who to listen to. I can choose if I want a solo or a collaborative. I can choose a favorite reading style, accent, or anything I fancy. So, for those of you who are reluctant to start multipal versions, do that. You are going to help some listeners and no, it would not distract from the first version. I do not believe I am writing this because, as a bc, I try to find unknown books and produce their recordings. For me, as a blind bc, it is a kind of duty as I would like blind people like me to be exposed to more and more books. But I hear many times that you don't want to record multipal versions so now, as a listener, why not?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It's a funny thing, but I encourage people to record what they like and not to let previously recorded materials stop them. But, I personally try to record what is not in the catalog. I suppose I feel that one recorded version is better than none at all. And, I admit, I like to explore new things myself. Too, and I am not being modest here, I can't believe that my recording something already done would ever be an improvement on what is there. As a listener, however, I do like choice. That's certainly true.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Kevin. I agree with your opinion about having a choice in what to listen to. Our policy is a good one also because many volunteers when they first come have certain authors or books in mind and being allowed to record them even if they probably have been done before, provides incentive to start and then move on to other things. If the answer was 'nope, we've done that' right off the bat, many would just turn away.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I agree that it's nice to have options when looking for something to listen to. But I usually do try to find works that aren't yet in our catalogue to record. My reasons are pretty much the same as what Kevin said. If there is a book that I like, and there is no audio version of it, then I'd rather spend my time and energy to create one than to use the same time and energy making version 5 or 6 of a different book.

I make exceptions to this for two kinds of projects. One is for short works that I just love very deeply, for instance, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. It is only a 7 or 8 minute poem, so I don't feel that I'm spending a large amount of time recording and editing that could be better used elsewhere.

The other exception I make is for Dramatic Readings. I think that hearing each character in a different voice is a much different kind of experience than hearing everything in the narrator's voice, even a very skilled narrator. So I think that the extra time and attention to detail demanded by a DR is very well worth while.

This is not to say that I'd never consider recording a second or third version as a solo, but so far, I've never found one that I felt merited that.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If this conversation started because I told a newish soloist there were x versions already in the catalogue but that they were welcome to record the x+1 version, I have a reason for doing that. I just want them to know before they start.
There have been a number to start a duplicate version not realising, and when they find out losing the incentive - after reading a few sections. Maybe they don't think of checking the catalogue, maybe the search didn't do what they thought it should, but I think it is better for people to know.

So that is why I do it.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved from Book Suggestions to Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

annise wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 5:52 pm If this conversation started because I told a newish soloist there were x versions already in the catalogue but that they were welcome to record the x+1 version, I have a reason for doing that. I just want them to know before they start.
There have been a number to start a duplicate version not realising, and when they find out losing the incentive - after reading a few sections. Maybe they don't think of checking the catalogue, maybe the search didn't do what they thought it should, but I think it is better for people to know.

So that is why I do it.

Anne

No, the conversation started because I had to choose books to read while I wait for Cova19 to go. So I was thankful there were X versions of certain books.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

i think, the problem was mentioned already with several postings.

it is motivating most of us "to have a book in the catalogue".
there are other motivations for sure, but when that one is missing, instead, a big contra is appearing:
you also have to be persistant with recording a version - even more as when recording a new book or solo; you have to have strength, and even be sure that what you read and how you read are totally your thing. you have to be sure: you want this book in your voice and style, or as agroup project, because so many people want to read it...and so on.

so, while a big motivating aspect is missing, a big doubt arises on the other hand.
why do the additional work of reading another version?

the rules are clear, the community etiquette is clear - and i think i have to thank you stav, for reminding me why that is like this..

but personally, as a reader and a bc, a version is less attractive to me, too.

not really relevant in this thread, i want to hint to the little discussion we had in suggested recordings/abandoned projects.
there are readings, which are work already done. maybe even the last works of some people, before...whatever happened in their life.
but if it happens to be a version, it gets deleted after a year.
i don't want to repeat the discussion here, it is just to mention, that even in our rules and acting, to read a version is "just another thing".
Last edited by schrm on March 24th, 2020, 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I prefer dramatic readings because it provides many different voices and it helps distinguish the characters better IMHO. I love to have multiple versions of a book because it gives many opinions on which taste you prefer. Personally, I don't see a "shame" in creating another version of the same book. Some books are more popular than others and have more traffic. More people love and enjoy the characters from that book, and love to voice act (which is why I try to spend time in the DR area). Some books are just a one-time thing, and that's OK. Others might have 7 versions, but that's OK too. Either way, I would love to have my name, and the way I read my characters put into the book I love. Some people like my emphasis, so why not put it into what I love? They say to do what you love. If you don't like it, try something new. Just because I wasn't the first volunteer here to claim a certain project shouldn't mean I'm not allowed to make another version of it.

We are here to have fun, and either way, it is to make audiobooks in the PD available for free for everyone :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

to be honest, i am wondering, how many forum members are writing against a rule which forbids reading versions.
what i know and read, there is no such thing - and we even encourage people in most cases?
no one wishes to prohibit that? or did i miss a comment, or didn't understand it?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: March 24th, 2020, 6:31 am to be honest, i am wondering, how many forum members are writing against a rule which forbids reading versions.
what i know and read, there is no such thing - and we even encourage people in most cases?
no one wishes to prohibit that? or did i miss a comment, or didn't understand it?
No, there is certainly no rule, written or unwritten, against multiple versions. The reader's desire is what is important and multiple versions are always welcome.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: March 24th, 2020, 6:44 am
No, there is certainly no rule, written or unwritten, against multiple versions. The reader's desire is what is important and multiple versions are always welcome.
thank you kevin!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

I've recorded two books so far that I knew had already been recorded, and I suspect that Version 1 is chosen by people unfamiliar with our platform. It is nice for people to have a choice of voice. And, from a reader's perspective, there is nothing like actually "performing" the author's words to help you connect to his/her talent for expression and for gleaning the meaning of the words by weighing them, and to feel part of the creative process. The artistic experience is extremely satisfying no matter who else might ever listen to it.

You at least know your proof listener will hear it, and if you're lucky, enjoy it. I hope they understand how important their job is to this process besides just checking the "tech specs" and rubber stamping PL OK, PL OK, PL OK. They can make the journey quite a bit more enjoyable.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Going by the emails on the subject, outsiders assume one of 3 things
They are ranked, so that the first one is best, version 9 is awful
The first one was awful, so readers are continually aiming for perfection and version 9 is heavenly
LV lets people read what the reader wishes so the first one was read first and version 9 last.

And as we all know the last thing is the truth, no matter what the readers think :D

Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

ALL my versions are awful so why are they not at the end of each list?