Searching our catalog - need suggestions

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

I am looking for suggestions on how you search our catalog. It does not seem to be obvious all the time. I wanted to look at all our collections and typed that in but got just a bunch of other stuff. Typing in SF Collections produced no result at all. Is there anything you have discovered that works well with the options available? (Author, Title, Genre, language). If I was browsing and wished to see all the various collections we have done over the years, what would be the simplest approach? Also any other tips for looking for somoeting to listen to. (Yes, I am planning a video and having trouble) :D
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

My wife just gave me a "Get Better Soon" card. I'm not sick. She just thinks I should be better.

These Tutorial Videos Certified Virus Free !!

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » December 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

SF is not a term our catalogue understands, I suppose. Try replacing "SF" with "science" :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Yes, the catalog search is buggy and cumbersome.

Typing in "science fiction" gets you the collections (all collected in the collections link at the bottom of the search results) as well as a bunch of projects that have "science fiction" in the title.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Yes, the catalog search is buggy and cumbersome.
You lean toward understatement, don't you?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 10th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Sometimes. Other times I'm prone to superlative exaggeration. :lol:
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 10th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Actually our catalog appears to function quite well, since many thousand of people find what they want and download from it every day. I, like most of us, are spoiled by the elaborate and wonderful search functions in my local library site and with Google but our site does work. It is just that more and more people are apparently straying further and further away from our official site with the apps available which are selective about what they include and sometimes charge money. This morning I had a comment on my video that explains who we are and what we do. The lady said it is sad that the video was wrong and our audiobooks are no longer free. It turned out that she had forgotten completely about our official catalog site because of the apps she had been using for so long. I gave her the link to our site.

In the process I reviewed the video which is getting creaky and old but has mostly good information, just the old catalog picture. All of t his led me to think about how to make our site more inviting to use by explaining how to find the stuff they are interested in more quickly. And here I am, just looking for ideas from people who actually use it to give me clues on how they do it. Dat's all. :D

My wife just gave me a "Get Better Soon" card. I'm not sick. She just thinks I should be better.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I mostly search by author. I've found that the icons next to each result helps me visually filter out what I don't want. For instance, the icon next to each author entry is a little fountain pen. I think the icon next to each reader is maybe a head in profile? I can't remember, but you get the idea. Regardless, I've found that those icons help me quickly scroll past the results I'm not interested and get to what I'm looking for. I don't generally browse for collections, so I don't have any pointers there. I know that many listeners browse by reader, so that might be something nice to demonstrate.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 10th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I haven't seen the video - I'm an audio learner, not a video one :D - but I think explaining the advanced search would be good.
As to apps - I don't have much patience with people charging for recordings but there are some expenses associated with apps so people can't expect them to be free. So you either pay money or put up with ads if you want to use them.

Anne

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm

but I think explaining the advanced search would be good.
ADVANCED SEARCH! Anne, that is something that simply eluded my searching eyes until you typed it. I was even looking for something like that but it never registered. Damn. OK, now I am off to experiment. cool and double cool. :thumbs:

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 10th, 2019, 7:39 pm

To tell the truth, I don't know how the tags work in the search function, but I know I should be more creative/descriptive when it comes to marking appropriate tags for my projects.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 10th, 2019, 9:26 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 7:39 pm
To tell the truth, I don't know how the tags work in the search function, but I know I should be more creative/descriptive when it comes to marking appropriate tags for my projects.
Exactly what I was thinking Kevin. Apparently tags are very important. I am getting strange results because of tags but they seem very critical to the search function. I will pay more attention to them in the future

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 10th, 2019, 9:33 pm

The tag search was one of the search functions we ran out of money to program, but it is worth using as it will be used in our catalogue one day.
Archive's search does use anything that is shown on the summary part so tags can be searched for there.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 10th, 2019, 9:37 pm

All good to know! Thanks!

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » December 14th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Tags do work, but only for one word tags. If you enter tags for a project that are multiple word phrases or names, then the LV catalog search function will not find them. In other words, the tag search is an exact search. This is obviously a bug that will hopefully be fixed one day. :) As Anne has noted, searching for tags on the archive page for the project should work for all the tags.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

schrm

Post by schrm » December 17th, 2019, 2:08 am

i tried the search on archive - lv collection several times, and the librivox search..
i made it simple and used the keywords deutsch and german.
i think it is somehow strange, that the german audio books have to be searched with the english word for german.
that occurs to get more results than the keyword "deutsch" - on both platforms.

not sure about the reason for that, but i was looking for some books i bced and catalogued in the last weeks and i discovered, that (eg) trotzkopf doesn't show up.

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte