14th anniversary?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 29th, 2019, 5:48 am Let's just let Devorah who proposed it have time to work things out - strange as it might seem to some, projects worked out in advance do turn out better.

Anne
Yes, that's exactly what we are discussing. And Devorah, as you know, has asked for help. She's very talented and I don't believe our discussion will upset her.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I was just joking about the teens ... honest!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:04 am I was just joking about the teens ... honest!

Peter
Hhaha! That why they look down on us.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

There’s heaps of stuff with “fourteenth century” in the title - I gather the Black Death was in that century so there’s a lot about that. There’s a Fourteenth Regiment, and if 1914 were allowed there would be masses of material! Not to mention books like “Fourteen Saints”.

I don’t think finding titles with “14” will be too difficult!

I like these anniversary collections too, so I’d be happy to co-BC or help PL - whatever is needed! These collections often get a bit of a rush on towards the end, so 2 BCs and a DPL might be all for the best! Whatever Devorah wants!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

It would be sad not to have a 14th anniversary collection. There are a couple things in mind that I know of, that we could put into the collection. For example, fourteenth century verse and prose https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43736, or as Elizabby mentioned,
Elizabby wrote: July 30th, 2019, 5:10 am There’s heaps of stuff with “fourteenth century” in the title - I gather the Black Death was in that century so there’s a lot about that. There’s a Fourteenth Regiment, and if 1914 were allowed there would be masses of material! Not to mention books like “Fourteen Saints”.
As I search "fourteen" in the gutenberg search bar, there's a good majority of things that pop up containing fourteen in the title, or having something to do with fourteen.

Devorah, please keep me in mind to help as well, I be glad to. Whatever you'd like me to do, DPL, or CO-BC, I'd like to help.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

If it would help, I could tell the story of how my fourteenth birthday was ruined by my evil twin and how I never had cake or anything. Nothing!
schrm

Post by schrm »

i miss the anniversary collection, too.
and i would be able to co-bc or even help with pl_ing- but i fear, multilingual is over my levels.

while i don't think it to be boring to be able to discover new literature to listen to, read or read aloud, i suggest
- "14 and or puberty" as topic.
alternatives could be
- johannes gutenberg (born presumably 1400, died 1468 after inventing the printing), or even something like
- late middle ages 14th century,
- 1914 start of ww1,
- "discovery" of america/conquest of the new world.

im sure, after a little bit of thinking about it, we find some more possible topics..
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

A tiny little anniversary collection, even at the last minute, would be nice, just to observe the date in some commemorative way. I'm too behind on other projects right now to be able to help with BC or PL, but I'd gladly jump in to read something! I'm thinking of a short selection, most likely a poem, (maybe "Nineteen-Fourteen" by Rupert Brooke?)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

We have seven (eight?) people interested already.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, it seems like there is definitely enough interest to go forward with this. As may be evident from my lack of response over the last few days, I don't have much free time lately. And as I said in my initial post, I already have several projects I'm trying to finish up. I think three or four of you have expressed willingness to co-BC. I don't really need to be in charge of this, if someone else would like to start it up. But I'm willing to, if that's the only way to get it off the ground.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: July 31st, 2019, 1:36 pm Well, it seems like there is definitely enough interest to go forward with this. As may be evident from my lack of response over the last few days, I don't have much free time lately. And as I said in my initial post, I already have several projects I'm trying to finish up. I think three or four of you have expressed willingness to co-BC. I don't really need to be in charge of this, if someone else would like to start it up. But I'm willing to, if that's the only way to get it off the ground.
I can BC if you'll set it up. Is it a regular collection? Of course, no collection is regular!

A DPL would be nice for the English. Other languages will have to be addressed as they come to our attention. I can PL the Portuguese and Spanish.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

And we'll need cake.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I won't be able to set anything up until maybe tomorrow night. As you say, no collection is really "regular," as they all have their own special requirements. I set up last year's Christmas collection. As I recall, I think I took the basic format of another collection, or maybe the basic format of a group project, then changed the pertinent info to reflect the needs of my collection.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd also recommend asking readers for a shorter submission time, say, by the end of August or something. In order to have the collection really, REALLY ready for our actual anniversary, we should have started it a couple of weeks ago.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I would suggest finding one of the completed anniversary projects in the Completed Projects folder and using that as a template.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine