Now THERE’S An Unusual PD Situation

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Seems they recently (2014) found a copy of a Sappho poem that had been lost since antiquity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_Poem

Guess we’ll have to wait decades before it can be recorded though, unless someone can read the Aeolic straight from the scan of the papyrus.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ej400

Post by ej400 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: July 12th, 2019, 7:39 am Seems they recently (2014) found a copy of a Sappho poem that had been lost since antiquity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_Poem

Guess we’ll have to wait decades before it can be recorded though, unless someone can read the Aeolic straight from the scan of the papyrus.

Chris
This is an unusual PD situation. I'm interested to see if they will release it into the public domain. I'd think they would though, because the author has been dead for quite some time, so they wouldn't have to wait for "author's death plus 70 years (or whatever is where you live)". But I could be wrong, other complications might apply.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Any translation from Ancient Greek to modern Greek (or another language) would be copyrighted as of the publication of the translation.

M.A.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's exactly the same as Gilgamesh - just that instead of finding an ancient Babylonian to read it you'd need an ancient Greek :D . And of course, you couldn't fill in any of the holes :D . Also need a date on the scan unless it was a reputable source, I used to make buried treasure maps out of tea-stained paper and bury them on islands in thhe creek.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It is an interesting situation. LibriVox only allows published works, right?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by "published." What about works written before the Gutenberg Press was invented? :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 12th, 2019, 3:51 pm Yes, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by "published." What about works written before the Gutenberg Press was invented? :hmm:
Indeed. Can someone claim the rights to something which seems to have no known 'owners' just by being the first to publish it?