Quality (64kb) of zip files downloaded from LV website

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Hi,

Does anyone know why zip files downloaded from LV website are 64kb and not 128kb?
I have to use equalizer while listening and sometimes to slow down the speed, and I think that in low-quality files it causes annoying clicking noises.
Meanwhile, I've been downloading the 128kb zip files from archive.org, but since the original recordings are 128kb, maybe the zip files on LV should also be 128kb? Or maybe there should be an option to choose between 64kb (smaller files) and 128kb (larger files)?

Thanks!

Daria
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't have all the file formats Archive has displayed in our catalogue, buts there is always a link to the Archive page available, or you could download the files separately. The 64kb gives reasonable quality in a reasonable size file.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think yours is a special case since you are modifying the files. Most listeners don't, so the space savings with the 64 kbps works best for the majority of listeners.

Also, if I recall correctly, Archive only used to provide a zip of the 64kb files, so that's what we offered. If we wanted to change this now, it would mean a workflow programming change (added to the "when we hire a programmer to make needed changes" list) and manually changing all cataloged projects so far to (1) offer both qualities as a zip file on our catalog page, or (2) change them all to the 128 zip.

I didn't sleep well last night, so I hope this makes sense. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Thank you, Anne and Tricia.
It does make sense from a technical point of view.
For "future generations" (in case they wonder too):
1. I don't modify the files manually, I play the files with an app (VLC) that has in-app equalizer and play speed features.
2. On Archive.org, at the bottom of the page there's a list of files. At least when using a web browser on a mobile phone (Android), long-press on the first option (128kb) and then "open in new tab/window" leads to a 128kb zip file download. That's the shortest way I was able to find.

Daria
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."