The Poetry of A E Housman

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I would like to record a selection of A E Housman's poetry (1859-1936) - but not sure how to go about it. It would be a collection of my own chosen poems - probably containing a dozen or more poems, from "A Shropshire Lad." (Or I might also include one or two of the late poems). (It could be more, and if one or two other people would like to contribute that would be fine, but basically i just want to record some of his poems, the one's closest to my heart).

So how would I go about this? It would not be a huge undertaking and may only occupy about 30 minutes of recorded time, or it could be a little more, should another reader want to take part.

This idea does not really fit into the weekly or fortnightly/monthly poetry collections which I also occasionally contribute to.

So, is this feasible? Thanks.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I think you would simply set it up as a solo or group project, and call it something like "A selection of the poems of A.E. Housman". ... but do wait for admin advice.

Newgatenovelist is planning a collection of Elizabeth Siddal's poetry in a similar way: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73059

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Many thanks Peter. (Happy New Year by the way!)

Yes, I could call it "Selected Poems by A E Housman (1859-1936)." I have looked at the link you gave and it could be on similar lines.

I will wait for any more info from an admin before deciding if I should embark on this venture.

i will of course need an MC and a DPL.

Peter
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Peter, Might I suggest a small change in your proposed title? If you begin your title with the poet's name rather than "selections" (a not-very-informative word) it will be more visible in searches. Maybe "A.E. Housman: Selected Poetry" or even "Housman: Poetry Selections" etc. I used this model when I recorded some sources for Benjamin Britten operas (Benjamin Britten: Source Stories Of Twelve Operas). And I wish you well in your project!
Peace, David
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peter; when you are ready I would be glad to MC this for you. Just let me know.
EDIT: and I like David's title suggestion too.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Hi David and Phil. Thanks so much for the help. I will change the title as suggested, and once I get going (it may take a little while as I'm doing some short stories at present), I will certainly be grateful for your offer to be MC Phil.

I will get back in the next week or so and have more detailed information.

Happy New Year -

Peter
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Re Housman

Some of the poems are very short - maybe only 8 lines. Can I do the intro disclaimer and then include 3 or 4 very short poems - each one with either the number or title if it has one? (So this would be just one section).

I would also like to include at the beginning the short introduction (620 words) by Braithwaite (1919). Is this OK?

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5720/5720-h/5720-h.htm#link2H_INTR

Peter
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lurcherlover wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 12:55 am Re Housman

Some of the poems are very short - maybe only 8 lines. Can I do the intro disclaimer and then include 3 or 4 very short poems - each one with either the number or title if it has one? (So this would be just one section).
I would also like to include at the beginning the short introduction (620 words) by Braithwaite (1919). Is this OK?
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5720/5720-h/5720-h.htm#link2H_INTR
Peter
That seems a reasonable approach to me. plan it that way
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I think this project should have 15 sections, as detailed below.

THESE POEMS (4) ALL IN ONE SECTION (Section 2)
II - XVIII - XXXII - LVII (All very short)

SECTION 1 - INTRODUCTION
SECTION 2 - Four short poems
SECTION 3 - XXI
SECTION 4 - XXVI
SECTION 5 - XXVIII
SECTION 6 - XXX
SECTION 7 - XXXIII
SECTION 8 - XXXIV
SECTION 9 - XLI
SECTION 10 - XLII
SECTION 11 - XLIII
SECTION 12 - XLVII
SECTION 13 - XLVIII
SECTION 14 - L
SECTION 15 - LIII

I hope this format will be acceptable. Sections 3-15 are all longer poems, the longest being 60 lines, so still not that long, and the shortest is 16 lines.

I would hope to start recording in about 3 days, or once the MW is up.

Oh, I need to start filling up the project form, maybe tomorrow.

Peter
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Sorery for the delay in responding, I was away on a long trip.
I don't understand your structure. what is the introduction text referring to? and what do the roman numerals refer to? and what is the text link for the poems/ thanks
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

philchenevert wrote: January 6th, 2019, 8:47 pm Sorery for the delay in responding, I was away on a long trip.
I don't understand your structure. what is the introduction text referring to? and what do the roman numerals refer to? and what is the text link for the poems/ thanks
The introduction refers to The Shropshire Lad poems and the poet's style, technique and influences.

The Roman Numerals are the poem numbers - only a few poems have titles, but they are all numbered.

Not sure what you mean by text link?

Peter

P S Oh, do you mean the link to Gutenberg? http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5720/5720-h/5720-h.htm#link2H_INTR
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm a little lost
Do you mean that you want to read the into to the Shropshire Lad then not read the Shropshire Lad
or is this the intro then pick and chose from the SL
or are you planning to read the intro to SL and then a selection of Housman poetry from all Housman's works including the SL ?
Because surely what you call it depends on what you want to do ?
Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

annise wrote: January 7th, 2019, 4:36 am I'm a little lost
Do you mean that you want to read the into to the Shropshire Lad then not read the Shropshire Lad
or is this the intro then pick and chose from the SL
or are you planning to read the intro to SL and then a selection of Housman poetry from all Housman's works including the SL ?
Because surely what you call it depends on what you want to do ?
Anne
I'm getting a bit lost too, and almost regretting the idea of recording this project!

I'm just hoping to read some favourite poems from "A Shropshire lad" with an introduction by Braithwaite (1909) - it's as simple as that. Maybe I'm too simple to have thought of even doing this!

Perhaps I should forget it and go back to walking the dog.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is do-able. Don't let the confusion of some of us discourage you. :)

This will be a much easier project than if you had pulled poems from multiple text sources. When you set it up, do NOT check the box asking if this is a collection from multiple authors and sources. It's all one author, one source.

Since all the poems and the intro are from A Shropshire Lad, you could entitle it "Selections from A Shropshire Lad", or following David's suggestion, "Housman: Poetry Selections from A Shropshire Lad" or similar.

Go ahead and set it up in the Launch Pad.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Thanks Tricia G.

The project has been set up viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73203 and I've even started to record, but nothing is yet uploaded..

But all this confusion (maybe my fault) has really put me off. I think that maybe, taking all of this into consideration, it may be best to abandon this project, and put it down to new year blues. Maybe one day I will record this but not this year.

Peter.