Oregan Publishing

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Ignoramus

Post by Ignoramus »

Hi guys!

I found out that a company called Oregan Publishing is selling almost all the LV recordings at Audible/Amazon... Most often they change the reader's name (here, for example, they put a false name, "Claire Walsh", instead of Elizabeth Klett).

This is absolutely outrageous!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Let's beat that dead horse a bit more!

(for records of previous beatings see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70888 and other threads you can find with 'youtube' and 'audible' in them)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As Tovarisch so indelicately indicated, this has come up before.

We release our recordings into the public domain. That means that we release all rights to them. What this entity is doing is stinky, but not illegal.

LibriVox as an entity won't waste time and resources to defend against someone using its recordings, even in this way. Individual readers are welcome to pursue it on their own, but even if a miracle happens and Audible takes down this publisher, another one will crop up.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

But it certainly leaves a bad taste when "publishers" like this are prepared to lie (about reader names) to get their hands on some money.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Prepared to lie for money... :hmm: That's very unusual, yes?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The fact that it's a popular occupation doesn't make it acceptable!
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I've posted a side comment on a review in the page on Amazon that Ignoramus linked to, saying that LV has this book for free in their catalog and gave a link. And that third parties have posted that there on Amazon, but LV actually made the audiobook. I couldn't post an official review because of the terms and policies of Amazon: you must have spent $50 or more using a valid debit/credit card in the past 12 months in order to leave a review.
If anyone qualifies for this policy, please leave a review on the site explaining what happened and that LV made the audiobook and third parties sold it there on Amazon.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

They are using the same "name" for different narrators, which is a bit comical.

Also, at only 94 cents per audiobook, at least this publisher probably isn't making a fortune, unless they are doing a large volume.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can get it for free as part of your "month's free trial". I wonder whether that would count as "false advertising " here, maybe I will think some more about that after Christmas, Amazon are pushing into the Australian market at the moment.

Anne
Ignoramus

Post by Ignoramus »

m8b1 wrote: December 12th, 2018, 2:28 pm Also, at only 94 cents per audiobook, at least this publisher probably isn't making a fortune.
A bestseller like this one can easily yield a profit of $5K/month, even at 90 cents per unit. And, as far as I can see, they have several bestsellers... (to be more precise, several LV bestsellers... :evil: )
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

I am now David Walsh, lol. Hope they enjoy the max buck two eighty from my recording :lol:
Scotty