2018 Christmas Carol Suggestion

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Twinkle,

If you try and edit too many voices together over the top of each other it quickly becomes a mushy crowd noise. I would recommend using no more than 3 or 4 voices at once. I think this is why editors have chosen different voices to sing different portions of the song.

David O
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

annise wrote: October 12th, 2018, 4:20 pm Why not, but could I suggest you listen to the anniversary songs if you haven't done so before? I've never BCed one, just read the threads. And maybe ask someone like elizabby who has attempted chorus making, I think it's difficult to edit too many voices into the one bit, so your choice of Carol may be influenced by the way you see the voices working The anniversary ones have bits of different people following each other , I think Beth has only 3 voices for the Mikado chorus - so for a ton of people you might need a ton of words in the carol :D :D

Anne
Haha, as editor for Mikado, I can tell you that there were places where I had upwards of 10 or 12 voices to choose from! :mrgreen: I'm still stuck (ahem, that is, working) on Act 2, but for Act 1, the most voices I had layered together was 8 or 9, I think.

I also edited the DR of The Story of the Amulet, which contained a chorus in chapter 7. That chorus only had three voices, but was incredibly easy to edit, due, I think, to the fact that I provided a musical track for each singer to listen to as they sang. I believe that's what Maria has done for the anniversary songs, too. That's what will keep the singers together and not let them go off with their own unique tempo. :wink: The conductor, if you will.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Oh, yes, I've edited a couple group songs for dramatic readings -- the biggest one had maybe twelve singers? Yeah, you gotta provide a track for people to sing along with, or it won't work.
Last edited by Twinkle88 on October 13th, 2018, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Twinkle88 wrote: October 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm Oh, yes, I've edited a couple group songs for dramatic readings -- the biggest one had maybe twelve singers? Yeah, you gotta provide a track for people to sing along with, or it won't work.

I'm ready to post the project! Would any MC want to let us upload our recordings to your folder?
Twinkle,

Start a new project using the Group Project template. Edit the summary area of the first post to explain that this is only for the one song and not the entire Christmas Carol collection.

David O
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Twinkle88 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:08 pm Is anyone thinking of doing the Carol Collection this year?
commonsparrow3 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 7:40 pmI've had my chance to BC the Christmas Carol Collection for the past two years, so I'd be happy to surrender the job to anyone else who wants to opportunity to take it on. But if nobody else volunteers by late October, I'm willing to have a go at it for one more year.
Since nobody else has expressed an interest in BC'ing the Carol Collection, I'll go ahead and set it up. I'll post the link here shortly.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: October 24th, 2018, 6:14 pm
Twinkle88 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:08 pm Is anyone thinking of doing the Carol Collection this year?
commonsparrow3 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 7:40 pmI've had my chance to BC the Christmas Carol Collection for the past two years, so I'd be happy to surrender the job to anyone else who wants to opportunity to take it on. But if nobody else volunteers by late October, I'm willing to have a go at it for one more year.
Since nobody else has expressed an interest in BC'ing the Carol Collection, I'll go ahead and set it up. I'll post the link here shortly.
EDITED TO ADD:
And here's the link to the 2018 Christmas Carol Collection:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72258