Trying out Twitch (AKA watch us edit ... ooh! ahh!)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

For anyone who cares, I figured out what I did wrong! Whew! It had to do with the fact that my sound was routed through my speakers the first time, and my headphones the second time, and I didn't know there was another setting that I needed to change to toggle between them. I'll be joining Dale's Zoom session tomorrow, and don't plan to do any streaming until after that.* (Dale, is there any way to record that session and make it publicly available afterwards for those who aren't able to be there live?)

*Unless anyone is around right now who really wants to watch, because I am about to start working on another section. I'm also subscribing to this thread now, so if someone posts here I'll be sure to see it. Let me know if you want to watch. Otherwise, I'm just doing my thing. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DaleInTexas wrote: October 4th, 2018, 6:46 pm
DaleInTexas wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:31 pm Devorah and Phil,
I will PM you a link and PW to join my Zoom meeting, with any device.
Dale
In Texas we say: Y'all got mail.
Dale
I got it, thank you! Looking forward to it!
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

You've got more mail.

Sorry I missed this in your previous post.
@mightyfelix "(Dale, is there any way to record that session and make it publicly available afterwards for those who aren't able to be there live?)"

Yes- I will put it into a Google folder and share it with you and Phil.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I haven't done one of these in awhile, but I'm just about to. This time it will be a dramatic reading of The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle. So if you've ever wondered how to edit a dramatic reading, stay tuned.

https://www.twitch.tv/mighty_felix/
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, starting a live stream of editing a DR in two minutes!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If you happen to make it during my live stream, it'd be super fun to have you participate in the comments section of my twitch. But if you don't have a twitch already and don't want to sign up for one, I don't blame you. I will get notifications for this thread, so if you have questions, you can post here and I will see them.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier! I don't have a twitch (yet) but I think it's so fascinating to see it being used for this kind of thing. I'll have to watch this space and see what else you all come up with.

A Zoom lesson sounds really interesting too-- if that's something people want to put together, I'd potentially be willing to help out. putting out little LV webinars could be the next LV Community podcast-esque endeavor...
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The idea was all Cori's! I've enjoyed playing around with it, though. I had some technical hiccups the first few times I tried it, but I'm pretty sure I've got them all sorted now.

The Zoom session went pretty well, but unless you plan to have multiple people showing their editing process all in one session (which would necessarily be quite long), it didn't seem to me to have any other special capabilities that Twitch doesn't have. Except sharing audio, I guess. Then people can just say their comments or questions instead of having to type them.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I joined and watched, but the first comment I typed disappeared into the aether, and after that I didn't want to interrupt. :D The visual quality was really clear -- if I have another go, I'll have to experiment with the settings because my first goes were quite fuzzy on playing back.

Random thought from the time though -- have you tried using spacebar for Start and Stop play? I like it, because I can keep the mouse cursor over where I'm working, instead of scrolling back and forth to the buttons. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: November 17th, 2018, 8:59 am I joined and watched, but the first comment I typed disappeared into the aether, and after that I didn't want to interrupt. :D The visual quality was really clear -- if I have another go, I'll have to experiment with the settings because my first goes were quite fuzzy on playing back.

Random thought from the time though -- have you tried using spacebar for Start and Stop play? I like it, because I can keep the mouse cursor over where I'm working, instead of scrolling back and forth to the buttons. :D
I wonder why your comment didn't come through. :hmm: Probably something I was doing wrong, I'm sure. :roll:

I use spacebar for generate tone. I've found that to be a really helpful easy way to mark a spot so I can easily find it later. But I have been considering designating a key for start and stop. I'll still need to consider how to arrange it.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heh, I think it was the logging in that threw things off; I was anonymous to start. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've been working on editing Act 2 of the Mikado for some time now. It's been slow going, for some reason. This fall has been very busy, for one thing, I think. But anyways, I was working on it a little bit a couple of days ago, and started wondering if I should do a streaming session of the process I'm using for it.

I did a stream awhile back of basic DR editing. That was a really simple section, with only four voices, and no unison or overlapping lines at all. The Mikado, in comparison, is a beast (which is one reason it's taken me so long). I have a full chorus to work with, with sometimes as many as 13 voices all speaking the same lines in unison. (I don't always use all of them, depending, but still, that's a lot of voices to work with.) What I want to know, before I do this stream, is who would be interested in seeing it?

There are many different ways to do a complicated DR edit like this one, and I don't claim to have found the best or only way, but this project in particular has taught me a lot, and I'd like to share it, if anyone is interested in seeing my process. So, post here if you want a sneak peek at

Advanced DR Editing!

Oh yeah, don't forget to mention what are good times for you to attend, and where on this big beautiful earth you're located!
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi Devorah,

I'm interested. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to watch the first DR Editing (Is it still on Twitch?). You can pick the day and time. I live in Egypt.

Thanks so much for doing this! I appreciated.

Please note, I don't have a Twitch account yet. And I'm not sure that I'll create one.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SaraHale wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:07 am Hi Devorah,

I'm interested. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to watch the first DR Editing (Is it still on Twitch?).
Oh, no, it looks like it isn't! I must have forgotten to upload it. I still have the recording saved on my computer, so I will upload it to my twitch and post the link here for you.
You can pick the day and time. I live in Egypt.
Ok, then, maybe this Thursday around 12 or 1 pm for me? I think that would make it 8 or 9 pm for you. (I'm in Texas, USA.)
Thanks so much for doing this! I appreciated.

Please note, I don't have a Twitch account yet. And I'm not sure that I'll create one.
I don't blame you for not wanting to create an account for something you may not wish to use. The benefit would be that you'd be able to comment in real time if you have a question or something, so I could answer it right away. The alternative could be posting here with your questions (I'm subscribed to this thread, so I should get a notification), but then we'd both have to toggle between the two windows.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mightyfelix wrote: December 11th, 2018, 12:29 am Oh, no, it looks like it isn't! I must have forgotten to upload it. I still have the recording saved on my computer, so I will upload it to my twitch and post the link here for you.
Thanks so much! :9:
Ok, then, maybe this Thursday around 12 or 1 pm for me? I think that would make it 8 or 9 pm for you. (I'm in Texas, USA.)
Perfect! :thumbs: I'll see you then.
I don't blame you for not wanting to create an account for something you may not wish to use. The benefit would be that you'd be able to comment in real time if you have a question or something, so I could answer it right away. The alternative could be posting here with your questions (I'm subscribed to this thread, so I should get a notification), but then we'd both have to toggle between the two windows.
You have a point. Then again you're very good at explaining things that I don't have questions to ask. :D

Again thanks so much for your help!
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs: