Trying out Twitch (AKA watch us edit ... ooh! ahh!)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No prob. Here is the last video I did. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347596288
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mightyfelix wrote: December 11th, 2018, 1:24 am No prob. Here is the last video I did. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347596288
Thanks! :thumbs:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mightyfelix wrote: December 11th, 2018, 1:24 am No prob. Here is the last video I did. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347596288
I watched the video. :clap: It wasn't boring at all. And I'm so excited to watch the next one. :9:
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

DaleInTexas wrote: October 1st, 2018, 12:26 pm Cori,
~ Indemnity statement: I do not work for, nor receive any compensation from, ZOOM. I am just a user sharing my experience.

After reading the other thread about the record:edit ratio, I stumbled on this one and thought this is a neat idea, to share editing ideas and techniques. However, you mentioned the difficulty of watching/reading chat messages and questions, while talking through the process. I use ZOOM for online training/ professional development webinars. Although we have a corporate account which allows hundreds to join, I believe the freebie account allows up to 100 participants, for up to a 40-minute session. ZOOM allows you to share your screen with viewers, while talking to them (think Skype), and record the session. The host can also turn over the rights to others, to share their screens and lead the session.

I throw this out there, because I also read @philchenevert request for others to share video of their processes. In my mind, I was thinking a once-a-week/month Zoom session just to collaborate in a professional learning network (PLN).

Just thinking out loud. As always, my opinions are only worth $0.02.
Dale
A podcaster used Zoom to do an interview with me recently, and it worked very smoothly. It was just the two of us, but the setup and recording all went without a hitch.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

sjmarky wrote: December 12th, 2018, 12:28 pm
DaleInTexas wrote: October 1st, 2018, 12:26 pm Cori,
~ Indemnity statement: I do not work for, nor receive any compensation from, ZOOM. I am just a user sharing my experience.

After reading the other thread about the record:edit ratio, I stumbled on this one and thought this is a neat idea, to share editing ideas and techniques. However, you mentioned the difficulty of watching/reading chat messages and questions, while talking through the process. I use ZOOM for online training/ professional development webinars. Although we have a corporate account which allows hundreds to join, I believe the freebie account allows up to 100 participants, for up to a 40-minute session. ZOOM allows you to share your screen with viewers, while talking to them (think Skype), and record the session. The host can also turn over the rights to others, to share their screens and lead the session.

I throw this out there, because I also read @philchenevert request for others to share video of their processes. In my mind, I was thinking a once-a-week/month Zoom session just to collaborate in a professional learning network (PLN).

Just thinking out loud. As always, my opinions are only worth $0.02.
Dale
A podcaster used Zoom to do an interview with me recently, and it worked very smoothly. It was just the two of us, but the setup and recording all went without a hitch.
We did actually do a session on Zoom awhile back. It was only Dale and myself participating. We had a bit of other interest, as I recall, but no one else actually decided to join. He sent me the recorded session afterwards. It can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/336699176

EDIT: I haven't gone back to watch this until this very moment. There are a few video glitches in it that I can't explain. :hmm: Sorry about that. :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Advanced DR editing session, coming up in about 10 hours! See you then. :)
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mightyfelix wrote: December 13th, 2018, 1:27 am Advanced DR editing session, coming up in about 10 hours! See you then. :)
YAY! :clap:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm getting set up now. Will be a little while still. I'll give at least a five minute warning before starting. Again, video will be here. If you want to interact in the chat box provided with the video, you'll need a twitch handle. Otherwise, you can post here during the stream, and I think I should see your questions. But of course, there'll be a delay.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, starting about 10 minutes.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mightyfelix wrote: December 13th, 2018, 11:18 am Ok, starting about 10 minutes.
See you on Twitch! :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

I can't hear your voice
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks!
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

YES :clap:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Thanks so much! Awesome job! :thumbs: Thanks for letting me know about the Replay Gain and Tone. Just like you, I hated the Tone but it's very useful. Good job on renaming the tracks. Mute and Solo are a life saver.

Something that I would love to watch is your process in doing a solo. Of course, if you would like to do that. Again, you don't have to if you don't want to do it.

But if you do:

How do you keep track of the character voices? Do you create a copy of the book on Google Drive with color coding every character? And so.

Finally, I want to know how to edit part of the recording after submitting it to the proof listener.

I apologize for asking many questions. But you are an awesome teacher.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SaraHale wrote: December 13th, 2018, 12:37 pm Something that I would love to watch is your process in doing a solo. Of course, if you would like to do that. Again, you don't have to if you don't want to do it.
You mean, how do I edit a section of regular narration, where it's only me talking? I have done one or two of those already (here is one), but I don't at all mind doing it again. I'll post here when I've got something ready that I need to edit.
How do you keep track of the character voices? Do you create a copy of the book on Google Drive with color coding every character?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean, who is speaking which line? That would really depend on what kind of DR I'm working on and what kind of source text we're using. Plays, of course, are formatted to show the characters' names in front of each line. You don't really need to do anything to them because it's already laid out who says what. Then, on the other hand, you've got a true Dramatic Reading, which would be a prose story or novel, something not really intended to be acted out. For those, the best solution is generally color coding, as you've suggested. If your source text comes from, say, Project Gutenberg, it's really easy to create those color coded files. Just copy and paste and then change the colors as needed. If it came from a scan, on the other hand... Well, I probably just wouldn't mess with it, because I'd have to type the whole thing, and.... just, no. :shock:

But unless you're the BC, you generally wouldn't need to worry about that. If you're the editor, you'll use either the original script or the color coding that your BC provides.
Finally, I want to know how to edit part of the recording after submitting it to the proof listener.
Nothing easier! Keep all of your original files until you receive a PL ok. Preferably even after that, just in case. (This is a good discussion on which files to keep and for how long.) A good PLer will tell you not only what needs to be changed or fixed, but also where the error is. For instance, they might say something like, "There is a long pause at about 6:42, after Ko-Ko says, 'You see I'm quite helpless.'" If I received that feedback, I would simply open up my edited file, go to 6 minutes and 42 seconds in and have a listen, and then change whatever needed to be changed, export again, upload again, and let the PLer know that I'd fixed the spot(s) they indicated.