Trying out Twitch (AKA watch us edit ... ooh! ahh!)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cori

Post by Cori »

New Adventure! I'm going to try out Twitch, which is what the cool kids use to watch each other play video games. I am not that cool, and so I'm going to try to use it to show my editing process. I'll be working on a sekrit new recording, though I guess it won't be so sekrit after this. :lol:

If you want to watch live, then hopefully it'll appear here in a minute or two: https://www.twitch.tv/greencori/

There's a chat room on the same page -- I'll keep an eye on it and respond if I see anyone typing. Questions or general hellos welcome, if I'm online at the same time as you! I'm using a headphone mic for voiceover, having recorded with my much loved Yeti, but no camera.

If you're coming to this thread later, then I think previous videos are left up for 14 days (unless they've gone terribly wrong, in which case I'll delete them immediately. :mrgreen: )

These things aren't editable, so if long pauses, sniffing, heavy sighs, muttering of 'I just don't know how this works' etc. bother you, skip right over everything. :D I will try not to swear, but sometimes slip, so please use headphones if you're listening with children around.

Finally, if you're new to LibriVox, please don't take this as a demonstration of how you have to do things! We have some great tutorial videos made with newcomers in mind, broken down into sensible sections, using up-to-date software. This is just showing how I do things after nearly 13 years of messing about with the process. All in all, for interest, not education!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thanks, Cori. Enlightening... Or frightening... I tried to chat, but it asks me to log in or sign up, and I just don't wanna.

So, my comment is, "wow... if I were trying to edit away all my mouth noises and clicks, I'd never post any recordings, I'd be still tweaking my 1-minute test." :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, that's a shame ... I'd hoped it'd allow anonymous entries! Phil dropped by too, all good fun, though very weird speaking to someone who's typing back!

Yeah, I've just recorded 49 mins of editing and produced 3 mins of a finished file. :shock: That's much slower than even my usual slowness. Narrating what buttons I'm pressing takes up a heap of time, for sure!

But I really really hope this doesn't put anyone off. I do finnick my files a lot more than any LV requirement, and it isn't needed -- recordings that other people have edited for me are just as popular as ones I do myself, and only one person has ever mentioned mouth noise and they were being a huge jerk so can be ignored. I just can't quite bring myself round to not doing it.

Taking a tea break and then streaming some more, this time with less description, so people can see a more realistic version of what editing looks like. (But if you want talking through what you're seeing, jump back to an earlier video for the explanations.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Cori,
~ Indemnity statement: I do not work for, nor receive any compensation from, ZOOM. I am just a user sharing my experience.

After reading the other thread about the record:edit ratio, I stumbled on this one and thought this is a neat idea, to share editing ideas and techniques. However, you mentioned the difficulty of watching/reading chat messages and questions, while talking through the process. I use ZOOM for online training/ professional development webinars. Although we have a corporate account which allows hundreds to join, I believe the freebie account allows up to 100 participants, for up to a 40-minute session. ZOOM allows you to share your screen with viewers, while talking to them (think Skype), and record the session. The host can also turn over the rights to others, to share their screens and lead the session.

I throw this out there, because I also read @philchenevert request for others to share video of their processes. In my mind, I was thinking a once-a-week/month Zoom session just to collaborate in a professional learning network (PLN).

Just thinking out loud. As always, my opinions are only worth $0.02.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It was fun to sit in for a little while on your process. I tried one or two quick test runs with Twitch myself, and I think I could do the same thing with my own editing. Fun!

If I get the chance, I'll try to do a live thingy tomorrow. (It's super late here and way past my bedtime, but think, maybe... 8 or 9 hours from now?) I'll post here when I'm getting ready to start.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DaleInTexas wrote: October 1st, 2018, 12:26 pm I throw this out there, because I also read @philchenevert request for others to share video of their processes. In my mind, I was thinking a once-a-week/month Zoom session just to collaborate in a professional learning network (PLN).
That sounds really cool, too! Would you be willing to organize that? I would make an effort to attend.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This is becoming more and more interesting! Thank you Cori for introducing me to Twitch and letting me see visually what you do while recording and also hear you talk to yourself as you do it. I admit I was taken aback by the software you use (Adobe Audition? I forgot) and that color spectrum at the bottom. I support you entirely with your taking out the mouth noises, it is somehow satisfying when I take some of mine out. Twitch and ZOOM are new to me but are part of the wave of new technology for watching others do t hings. Obviously more study is needed by me. <sigh>.
With our LV people scattered all over the globe though, getting together at one time seems a big obstacle which is why videos that can be watched whenever seems the way to go for me.

My process is tedious, using an old screen capture software. Camtasia, maybe some editing, then processing it to an MP4 video and uploading it to YouTube. Surely technology has moved along in the past 8 years and there is an easier way of doing it? So I am asking if you more tech savvy people can tell me of a better way of capturing screen and voice and making it into a video in one shot. Someting that would activate with a shortcut key, take the whole screen or let me select a portion, tell it when to start and stop and then automatically turn it into something that could be uploaded to YouTube or just get a share link. Hmmmm?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

philchenevert wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 5:48 am With our LV people scattered all over the globe though, getting together at one time seems a big obstacle which is why videos that can be watched whenever seems the way to go for me.
You're right about that, but the big benefit of doing it live is having the opportunity to interact with the person and maybe ask them questions about their process. Also, you can record the live session and then make that recording available afterwards. So anyone who wasn't able to attend will still be able to see the process, they just won't be able to interact.
My process is tedious, using an old screen capture software. Camtasia, maybe some editing, then processing it to an MP4 video and uploading it to YouTube. Surely technology has moved along in the past 8 years and there is an easier way of doing it? So I am asking if you more tech savvy people can tell me of a better way of capturing screen and voice and making it into a video in one shot. Someting that would activate with a shortcut key, take the whole screen or let me select a portion, tell it when to start and stop and then automatically turn it into something that could be uploaded to YouTube or just get a share link. Hmmmm?
I just downloaded OBS Studio yesterday, and I've been playing around with it a bit. This is the program I plan to use for my live editing session here in a little while. From my beginner's understanding of it, I'm already confident in saying it can do all of the things you've listed. It's free open source software, like Audacity. You can download from https://obsproject.com/ and there are a few good beginner tutorials on YouTube for how to use it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm going to start my live streaming session in about half an hour. Here is my page, where it should hopefully show up, if I'm doing everything right: https://www.twitch.tv/mighty_felix

I've chosen a very short section to edit for you. That way, you'll be able to see the whole process start to finish in a reasonable amount of time. :)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hm, I am late to the page, Devorah, but can't see any videos from previous streams?

Phil, I think you could perhaps use OBS Studio to upload directly to YouTube, if you wanted, as well as other formats / sites. That's what I used with my session yesterday, and it was almost completely straightforward (I couldn't figure out how to do a test stream, but going live and then stopping and deleting the practice file worked just fine :D ) OBS studio also lets you show your whole desktop, or just one program within it. I wish I'd done desktop as I now realise that the options-windows I talked through in my first vid aren't visible when the camera is locked to the program. Ho hum! That said, desktop could be dangerous, best not to have anything personal lying around ;)
DaleInTexas wrote: [...] you mentioned the difficulty of watching/reading chat messages and questions, while talking through the process.
Zoom sounds interesting ... I've used Skype, Slack and Google Hangouts for this kind of thing at work (not the recording, though I think OBS Studio will do that happily enough.) They all work pretty well within their various limitations. My main issue was a personal one -- looking at what I'm doing AND looking at the chat window. Probably just needs a bit of practice. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:32 am Hm, I am late to the page, Devorah, but can't see any videos from previous streams?
That's because I haven't done any yet. :mrgreen: I'm getting ready to start in a few minutes.

I did do some very short tests yesterday, and I thought they would show up afterwards, but you're right, they're not there. So I'm going to be recording while streaming so that I can upload it afterwards if need be.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Actually... Starting now! :D
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm in -- anyone else around?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:55 am I'm in -- anyone else around?
Thanks for joining me! :D
Cori

Post by Cori »

Somehow, my forum time wasn't on Summertime, which is why I seemed excessively enthusiastic above ... totally thought I'd missed your session, Devorah. Not sure how that happened ... surely it can't have been wrong for the last 6 months.

Anyhoo, interesting to watch, and yes, I'm definitely doing some de-clicker experiments, because removing even a light sprinkling of noises would save me So Much Time. :9: