computer generated text-to-speech

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
williamjones

Post by williamjones » July 24th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Does it comply with the Librivox mission statement for someone to run Gutenberg (or any PD) texts through a Text-to-Speech program and upload them to Librivox? Or do sections have to be recorded by an actual person? I ask this because some sections I have listened to definitely sound computer generated. Is there any way to test this?
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
Sometimes there is no Right or Wrong,
just Regular and Extra Crispy.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 24th, 2018, 5:50 pm

No, it is not LV's mission to use computer generated voices. We use real people, even some that speak somewhat robotically. 8-)
Fiction: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule
Sci-Fi removing memories: Dr. Heidenhoff's Process
The Curious Lore of Precious Stones
Community Podcast re: PL'ing - Call for Submissions

msfry

Post by msfry » July 24th, 2018, 8:41 pm

But it is a good question. Can a suspicious file be tested to see if it is a text-to-speech generated file? It would be tragic if all our personal efforts could be thwarted by computer generated audio files. Is there anything in our mission statement deterring that?
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 24th, 2018, 9:04 pm

The mission statement is definitely people not computers - but we do have to trust our readers. There are couple of readers with an unusual sound but they do breathe.

Anne

williamjones

Post by williamjones » July 25th, 2018, 6:31 pm

I am delighted to hear that LV does not condone computer generated files.
Suppose that some files are found whose contents *ARE* convincingly "synthetic".
What would be done about them? And with the person who tried to pawn them off a "real" voice recordings?
Is there a policy for that situation?

-- just curious

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 25th, 2018, 6:38 pm

How would we prove it? And what would someone gain by generating them and giving them away ?

Anne

williamjones

Post by williamjones » July 25th, 2018, 6:59 pm

annise wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 6:38 pm
How would we prove it? And what would someone gain by generating them and giving them away ?

Anne
I can envision an unfortunate soul of diminished self-worth who would like to brag that he has had over 400 items accepted on LibriVox. "His ego makes him do it!"

Or, more kindly, I can envision a throat cancer survivor who is able to "talk" only with the use of an electronic larynx. These devices work by emitting a square-wave "carrier" tone (a buzz sound) and then modulating it with what's left of any vocal chords. That ever present monotone BUZZ tone is one give away that an electronic device is producing the words.

Lastly, I can envision a reader who is bored silly by the proofing and editing process for their recorded files. If he let's the computer do it, then it will be "word perfect" every time, you see. A lot of meaning of the text normally imparted thru intonation and inflection will be totally lost; the rhyming of poems would be hardly noticeable, but every single word will have been included as written.

A last comment: I asked Mr. Google what free programs or websites were available to produce speech files from text files (Text-to-Speech).
I found 84 of them. And, these were the FREE sources.

I am delighted that a friend turned me on to Librivox. I am spreading the word like crazy among all my friends. Keep up the good work!

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » July 25th, 2018, 10:24 pm

annise wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 9:04 pm
The mission statement is definitely people not computers - but we do have to trust our readers. There are couple of readers with an unusual sound but they do breathe.

Anne
Does LibriVox discriminate against zombies? :mrgreen:
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » September 1st, 2018, 5:37 am

Not as such, I don't think. It's just that there aren't many books out there that are made up completely of moans and/or the word "braaaaains"...

Colleen

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » September 1st, 2018, 5:43 am

Well... But then again, PP & Zombies won't be PD for a long time to come. Would make a great DR, I'm sure.

:mrgreen:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Inspired by LibriVox: The 8 Views of Lake Biwa