Dramatic Roles: Two Schools of Thought

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hello, all--
I know this subject has been talked about some in the past, and it's not that I want to bring up controversy again, however I was wondering what the current Librivox stance on Dramatic roles are.
At least in former times, there were two schools of thought:
1) All parts must be made equally available to everyone out in the open when the project is first posted
2) Individuals could collaborate or privately request roles before project is public

I am very much a rule person, so it is hard for me know what is currently acceptable. Am I correct in assuming that it is basically up to the MC to decide whether roles can be pre-assigned or not? And so that either way is now acceptable?
Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I cannot speak for all MCs on this, but my personal opinion is that it's cliquey and not nice-spirited to pre-cast in private. IMHO, it's as if the BC is implying that the outsiders are not good enough to read for their project. If they open it up to everyone, they might be pleasantly surprised by a newbie reader who does an Oscar-worthy performance.

I've BC'd dramatic readings where I thought that someone's voice was NOT right for the part they claimed, but I let them claim it. It turned out fine.

OTOH, I think on the last dramatic reading I BCd, I might have PM'd one or two people and said something like, "You know, I think your voice would be great for this role. Would you be interested?" However, if I did that, it was after the project was public, and the roles were open to everyone.

If it became an epidemic, then the admins would probably step in and say something, but I don't recall having an MC nix a project because the roles were preassigned, or iron-fistedly insist that roles be opened up to whomever claims them first.

I think the current stance is, "the occurrences of pre-casting went away, so no decisions as to policy were made."
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I did precast a narrator for my current Doctor Dolittle project, but only because narrators can be difficult to find, and I wanted to be sure that wouldn't hold the project up.

I believe someone else contacted me when I first announced that I was getting ready to launch the project, but before I had actually done so, to request another role. But anyone else was free to do as she did, so I don't see that as exclusivity. Perhaps others may disagree.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I personally do disagree - I prefer things not to be done via PM unless absolutely necessary.
I wouldn't object to a group of people deciding that they were going to do a play , and play all the roles - this has been done- , but I would object if they left all the "3rd murder" roles open for others to fill.

Anne
added
I have no objection to the BC picking their role before posting
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Thanks; it helps to get a picture of the situation.
I sometimes feel tempted to pm for something, but feel rude doing it so I never have.
I just need to be sharper about jumping on newly posted DR! :lol:
But I've always enjoyed whatever role, big or small, I do.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I think for a Dram Read it is really important to get a narrator lined up before launching a project - it's a common reason a project gets delayed, and it's a big commitment.

As I don't edit, I advertise for an editor, so the BC (me) and editor and DPL if there is one get to pick their parts first.

I'm just finishing up a trilogy of books by Nesbit, so in this case I gave recurring characters first refusal of their parts - I think only two came back in the end and the rest are new voices.

Plays usually fill up very fast though - often in the Launch Pad! The Ideal Husband project was essentially full within 48 hrs of launch!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

What if the BC picks the biggest role for themselves? Would that be considered ok? From my point of view, the fact that everything is open (especially the larger roles) makes the project very inviting.
Just a thought.

Thanks,
~JayKitty
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No one would complain about the BC having first pick.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hm, ok, thank you Anne. I was just wondering in case I ever started a dramatic project, thank you :thumbs:

Thanks,
-JayKitty76
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you wanted to be totally scrupulous, I suppose you could post the project, then in the next post "request" the role you want:
"Ooo, what a great project! May I be Mr. X?"
and then "reply" to yourself accepting the "request":
"Certainly! Thanks for claiming."

Then it's all above board and out in the open. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ooh what a good idea! Thanks!

-JayKitty