Commercial Use of Librivox Recordings

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » August 22nd, 2018, 11:15 am

FYI Audible contact got back to me, and I sent the following.... awaiting response:

Thanks for getting back to me! Hope all is well in NYC (are you still there?).

Here's the context (you know some of this already ... but...):
- LibriVox is volunteer a community that makes free public domain audiobooks, and gives them away for free on the web
- Because they are free & public domain, people often repackage them and sell them on various platforms (apps, CDs on ebay, and digital audiobooks on Audible)
- While this is legally allowed by the license, it causes occasional flare ups in the community
- A particular set of annoyances is when this "new" publisher:
-- changes the name of the narrator/voice actor in the metadata
-- claims copyright on the audio (which is public domain)

Some years ago when this came up, my audible contact (who has since moved on) said it was Audible's policy not to allow publishers to sell LibriVox recordings, because:
a) they are available free elsewhere online
b) and when audible users discover this it annoys them

Questions I have:
1. Is it still against Audible policy for 3rd party publishers to resell free public domain audiobooks from LibriVox?
2. If so, could you let me know who we should inform of such cases?
3. Or, do you know who might know the answers to these questions?

Hugh.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 25th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Seems like there is still some doubt about whether Librivox will change its policies about adding to the text, and/or changing the license our readings are released under. I don't want to rehash all the pros and cons, but the answer is no. We understand some people are unhappy about that, and we are sorry if they decide no longer to contribute voices to LV, but after careful consideration, we decided to stick with the existing model. So no different licence and no "watermarks" or should it be voicemarks, textmarks, or wordmarks.

I'm sorry I'm late posting this, I thought the subject was resolved, and Hugh is still trying to contact Audible and will, I'm sure, tell us the result if there is one.

Anne

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » September 26th, 2018, 6:01 am

Yes still chasing Audible. Will re-chase.