the first dissertation about LibriVox is finished!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

at least, it's the first dissertation about LibriVox that I've ever heard of. and I've just gone through to triple-check all my citations and formatting and page numbers and everything is finally done!

one of the last parts I worked on was my acknowledgements section. there is a long paragraph in there just about all the LV volunteers I am indebted to, and I wanted to post it here. some of you may end up seeing the final published dissertation, but in case that's not at all interesting to you, you at least get to read this little piece:

... I must mention as many LibriVoxers as I can here, in recognition of their generous work and patience with me as I joined, participated, and researched the project we are a part of. Specific and everlasting thanks to all of the following fellow volunteers: to Lynnet, for first approving my 1-minute test recording, for helping me get started as reader and prooflistener, and for meta coordinating my first solo project; to Carolin, for welcoming me into several poetry projects; to annise for allowing me to edit the LibriVox wiki; to craigdav1 who prooflistened my first solo; to MaryAnnSpiegel, for inviting me to coordinate my first collaborative project and for meta-coordinating my second solo; to bluechien, for recording one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard; to jimmowatt, ductapeguy, Cori, RuthieG, and bobgon55 for their impressive and invaluable work on the LibriVox Community Podcast; to commonsparrow3 for her help with LibriVox anniversary projects; to mb, TriciaG, WoollyBee, peppersnoodles93, and BettyB for contributing their memories to my Chapter 3 research; to JorWat for so patiently and thoroughly prooflistening my current in-progress solo; to kayray, PeterWhy, mightyfelix, Basquetteur, Availle, lezer, Piotrek81, alg101, DACSoft, kathrinee, and DrPGould for encouraging my work on this dissertation; and not least of all, to Hugh McGuire for starting the whole project and for being cool on twitter. There are many others LibriVoxers to whom I owe thanks, whose names and contributions I may have overlooked when composing these acknowledgements. I will always be in awe of the big and small ways LibriVoxers make the world a better place. Without all of their efforts to make the processes and content of their work public, accessible, and inviting, I would not have had the kind of access I’ve needed to do the work of this dissertation.

when I have a fully approved PDF version to share, I will definitely let everyone know in case they want to look at the full thing. it feels so weird and crazy to have it so finished after all this time!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
mb

Post by mb »

Congratulations!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

A wonderful piece of work .... lots of work, too, as all literature-search work seems to be (I remember the enormous amount of time I spent in the library of The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for just one short piece of work for a microbiology course)!

Congratulations.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kayray

Post by kayray »

Wonderful!

Little typo here: There are many others LibriVoxers to whom I owe thanks
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

kayray wrote: June 21st, 2018, 9:15 am Wonderful!

Little typo here: There are many others LibriVoxers to whom I owe thanks
thanks for spotting that! thankfully I still have time to fix it...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

congratulations!!

id love to receive a pdf version, im very very curious to read it :D
Carolin
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

So would I.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's great news! Thanks for keeping us all posted! :thumbs:
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Congratulations, Amelia! I definitely want to see your completed dissertation.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you, Bob!
I'll pass around links to the finished diss via PM one of these days. :)
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
lezer

Post by lezer »

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it.
So, do you still have to defend it at a ceremony, or at an exam? Or has it already been approved?
Anna
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

A belated Congratulations! from me, too, Amelia! I just happened to see this now. Yes, please let us know when the finished dissertation is available! I know I'd enjoy reading it!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh gosh, can't you post the link publicly? If not, please add me to your PM list :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
linny

Post by linny »

Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I too hope it will be made available for us all to view.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

kayray wrote: July 11th, 2018, 8:04 pm Oh gosh, can't you post the link publicly? If not, please add me to your PM list :)
well, I guess I've been sorta nervous about putting it out for *anyone* at all to look through... but then again I imagine most people who will come across it here on these forums will be at least sorta interested in LV and thus probably people I can trust, I hope...
you've talked me into it, Kara. heh. here is the final pdf:
http://www.ameliachesley.com/s/Chesley_ConventionsoftheCommons_finaldissertation_June2018.pdf

I know it isn't perfect, but it is finished, which is always better than perfect, as they say.
Chapter 3 and the appendices may be of particular interest for the history they cover. Chapter 5 covers some of the future research potential I see for LibriVox and similar digital crowdsourcing projects.
as always, I do welcome any constructive feedback people may have. I am planning to keep building on this project, thinking about public knowledge/culture in digital communities, and your support and input are really invaluable to that ongoing research process.

thank you all for being so nice about this overall! it is really easy to feel like one is a pest and/or braggart when posting about one's achievements like this. all the comments that counteract that feeling are so appreciated.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com